PDA

View Full Version : how are the new winchester 94's?

hornsurgeon
12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
has anyone here purchased a new winchester 94, 71, or other new winchester lever action? how are they? how do they shoot?

MtGun44
12-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Judging from my 1886 Miroku-made Winchester Extra Light, they will be beautifully made, well
fitted, finely finished yet re-engineered by dunderheads managed by liability lawyers so that the
firing systems are marginal to unworkable. But SAFE! (Perfectly safe if the gun never fires!)

I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

Bill

7of7
12-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I dislike the rebounding hammer on my 94 .357... but, haven't had a misfire yet, and have been using CCI primers..
My plans are to change out the lower tang, to a non-rebounding hammer... I also ended up changing the front sight to a bead... couldn't manage a post.. was all over the place..
Mine has the tang safety too.
As far as shooting,... feeds great, and is a good shooter.. love the levers cause they are just down right fun to shoot..

fecmech
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure how new you are talking about. If it's the latest Miroku stuff I have no first hand knowledge. I do have a recent 94AE that was made in the early 2000's which is a .357. It is very accurate and looks nice but that's where it ends. It double fed till the link was welded and reshaped, it has broken 3 ejectors (flimsy casting) and the lever fit is really sloppy. I have put over a thousand rounds through it to date and will fix the ejector with drill rod at some future date. I think if you were looking for a rifle caliber such as the 30-30 I would just look for an older one. There are plenty of them out there.

Moondawg
12-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I own several Miroku products, and they are all finely fitted and finshed. They are also quite expensive. Not everyone can afford one. At the price, which is see listed in the $1K range, I do not consider the new winchester an everyday working gun.

hornsurgeon
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
my father in law that has been going thru extensive cancer treatments has been putting all his medical bills on his cabelas card and now has some cabelas cash to spend there. he wants to get a brand new lever gun and was thinking of these. he has always been a marlin fan(collector, not shooter) but doesn't want to go with the new remlins. thats why we wanted to know about the new winny's

TXGunNut
12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Good strategy on the Cabela's card. It makes the pain at the pump a bit more bearable for this commuter. I was fondling a new Winchester 94 last weekend and the fit and finish is very impressive. Price and tang safety were two barriers I couldn't clear at that time. Maybe someday. I'm pretty certain my next new levergun will be Italian-built because they're the only folks building the models I'm interested in at this time.

Reload3006
12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
browning has had their guns made by Miroku for many years I think it was in 1978 I bought my Browning 92 44mag. It was a fantastic rifle. Now that Browning owns Winchester I would imagine Miroku will make fabulous rifles.... Its just sad that an American icon us repeating arms is no longer American.

enfield
12-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I bought a new ( I think I only ever bought 2 new rifles ) 94 in 357 back in 2004 i think. I dont shoot it much and a lot of the time used it single shot but I took it to the woods a couple weeks ago and suffered the dreaded "357 slips past the cartridge stop syndrome" just as I was gonna shoot at a grouse. well I had to fiddle with getting 5 rounds out by the linkage that slipped under the cartridge lifter while the partridge patiently waited for me. I finaly got a shot off and missed anyway (sun in eyes or some such excuse ). I had to disassemble and remove the link to weld up a taller cartridge stop. the metal is something a little funny that was hard to weld but it seemed to work o.k when I tried it today. I have heard this is a common problem and sometimes when it happens the cartridge lifter will brake when the action is cycled with a round stuck under the lifter. otherwise its a nice little gun ( trapper model )

Canuck Bob
12-20-2011, 10:50 PM
I purchased a new Miroku Winchester 92 this year. I am very happy with it. The fit and finish put my Winchester and Marlin older rifles to shame. I like the tang safety which most traditionalists dislike. The rebounding hammer is adjustable with internet instructions.

Some issues are they are not drilled and tapped for receiver sight installation (mine anyways), pricey but a very high quality rifle, less appeal to many traditional lever owners if one wanted to sell. I would not hesitate to recommend the rifle to a good friend once telling them the above.

I also bought a nice pre-64 94 this year and was very satisfied with my rifle and paid much less than half what a Winoku 94 would have cost. Pre-64s are easier to sell and have some collector cache if that interests you. I found that 94s are often very lightly used rifles and if inspected first are a great value in Canada. If my 1950s rifle has seen more than a couple boxes of ammo through it I would be very surprised.

I am very happy with both rifles.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 07:36 AM
has anyone here purchased a new winchester 94, 71, or other new winchester lever action? how are they? how do they shoot?

Well over $1000.

Rebounding hammer & a bunch of little parts just "itching" to fail.

Tang safety.

They look nice but I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.

Miroku had it right with the Browning B-92.

I'd much rather have a Rossi Puma for 1/3 the money.

It's a lot closer to the original John Browning design.
Gotta keep the lawyers off the assembly line.

GMW
12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
I am the new proud owner of a Winchester Miroku 1895 lever. This gun is absolutely beautiful! I doubt if they could mass produce a rifle of this quality at twice the price in this country. Flame away but I think that the unions are killing the last few American manufactures. The small shops like Shilo, Les Baer, Wilson, ect are building real gems but their price reflects the quality that goes into their products.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I am the new proud owner of a Winchester Miroku 1895 lever. This gun is absolutely beautiful! I doubt if they could mass produce a rifle of this quality at twice the price in this country. Flame away but I think that the unions are killing the last few American manufactures. The small shops like Shilo, Les Baer, Wilson, ect are building real gems but their price reflects the quality that goes into their products.

Glad you like your gun.

I don't know how much lawyer safety junk Miroku added to the model 1895 but they sure did a number on the gun they are calling a 1892 that has a tang safety & a rebounding hammer & a firing system of small parts & linkages that WILL fail over the long run.

Sure wish Browning would make another run of their B-92s.

The B-92 was without a doubt the finest 92 clone ever made.

The workmanship & performance were superb.

The rifle was a righteous blue print Winchester 92 copy with none of the "lawyer added" nonsense.

The B-92 wasn't cheap but it wasn't anywhere near the outrageous cost of the Miroku Japchesters.

I have 3 Rossi Pumas without the ridiculous lawyer safety and love them. They are the last of the TRUE BLUE(PRINT) 92s.

I don't know what those things are that the "new" so-called Winchester is selling for a months salary but they ain't 92s according to the chapter & verse of Book of John Browning.

How come Chiappa from Italy can make a "blueprint" model 92 clone & Winchester/Miroku can't?

I find the new manufacturer paradigm that shooters are so "dumb" they need umpteen safeties on a gun to keep from shooting themselves & others insulting.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM

If you want to have skilled tradesmen & experienced quality control inspectors necessary to make a good product then you have to pay them.

Skilled & experienced machinists, tool & die makers & press operators won't work for minimum wage.

Remington is learning the hard way in its new Marlin plant that you can't build a good product with minimum wage button pushers who wouldn't know a finger lever from a "rubber duckie".

You need skilled & experienced tradesmen to build the product & seasoned quality control inspectors who know what to look for or else you'll have junk coming out of your factory & your reputation & customer base will quickly evaporate like water drops on a hot skillet.

williamwaco
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Can't speak to the 94's but I have one of the NEW M-92's in .357 Mag.

It looks bigger to me than my first M92. but I have compared it to other original M92's at the gun shows and it seems the same. Perhaps my memory is faulty.

That said the action is very easy and smooth. We used to describe it as slick as . . . ( well you know )

I couldn't bring myself to scope it and I can't see well enough to use the buckhorn so I installed a Marbles Tang sight. Great decision. I can now shoot around1.5 to 2.5 inches at 50 yards.

I love this gun so much I don't even notice the tang slide safety anymore.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Can't speak to the 94's but I have one of the NEW M-92's in .357 Mag.

It looks bigger to me than my first M92. but I have compared it to other original M92's at the gun shows and it seems the same. Perhaps my memory is faulty.

That said the action is very easy and smooth. We used to describe it as slick as . . . ( well you know )

I couldn't bring myself to scope it and I can't see well enough to use the buckhorn so I installed a Marbles Tang sight. Great decision. I can now shoot around1.5 to 2.5 inches at 50 yards.

I love this gun so much I don't even notice the tang slide safety anymore.

1.5"-2.5" is a pretty decent 50 yard grouping for an iron sighted levergun.

I don't know a lotta shooters who could shoot a honest 2.5" @ 50 yd group "off the shoulder" with iron sights.

Your groups are probably 1/2" or so off of what they were when you were younger but the deer will never notice the difference.

My 16" Rossi Puma (no safety) in .357 Mag is slick as frog snot & is a Gospel according to Saint John (Browning) model 92.

Cost off the rack - $399.95 last fall.

I can still shoot iron sights with my glasses on.

If the first shot from my Rossi Puma in .454 Casull knocks my glasses off I'm SOL so I gotta git it right the first time & I usually do.

I wish you many years of good hunting & shooting with your new gun.

I'm sure it's a fine weapon.

Dad had an original 92 way back when & I was in 7th heaven anytime he allowed me to shoot it.

I tend to judge all new comers by the standard of that old gun.

7of7
12-23-2011, 09:49 PM
That little switch thingey on the tang is a safety?? I was thinking it was the full auto switch. Meaning that the full auto was turned off, or turned on..
I really got to change that lower tang and all the stuff that is mounted to it.. and get rid of that rebounding hammer.. It just bugs me..

williamwaco
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
1.5"-2.5" is a pretty decent 50 yard grouping for an iron sighted levergun.

I don't know a lotta shooters who could shoot a honest 2.5" @ 50 yd group "off the shoulder" with iron sights.

Your groups are probably 1/2" or so off of what they were when you were younger but the deer will never notice the difference.

My 16" Rossi Puma (no safety) in .357 Mag is slick as frog snot & is a Gospel according to Saint John (Browning) model 92.

Cost off the rack - $399.95 last fall.

I can still shoot iron sights with my glasses on.

If the first shot from my Rossi Puma in .454 Casull knocks my glasses off I'm SOL so I gotta git it right the first time & I usually do.

I wish you many years of good hunting & shooting with your new gun.

I'm sure it's a fine weapon.

Dad had an original 92 way back when & I was in 7th heaven anytime he allowed me to shoot it.

I tend to judge all new comers by the standard of that old gun.

Oh wow. I didn't mean "off the shoulder" I couldn't come anywhere near that. I meant "off the bench".

Merry Christmas.

GMW
12-24-2011, 10:56 AM
If you want to have skilled tradesmen & experienced quality control inspectors necessary to make a good product then you have to pay them.

Skilled & experienced machinists, tool & die makers & press operators won't work for minimum wage.

Remington is learning the hard way in its new Marlin plant that you can't build a good product with minimum wage button pushers who wouldn't know a finger lever from a "rubber duckie".

You need skilled & experienced tradesmen to build the product & seasoned quality control inspectors who know what to look for or else you'll have junk coming out of your factory & your reputation & customer base will quickly evaporate like water drops on a hot skillet.
I agree totally. I would think that the high end 1911 makers employ skilled people and the price reflects it.