PDA

View Full Version : Help W. Beretta 92

smokemjoe
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I have found a used Beretta 92FS, I got alot of 9MM cast loaded up and I think I need it, $350.00, What can yous help me with on infor on these, I do have a custom made on a 1911 fram but want something else now, Thanks - Joe

DollarBill
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
You need to buy it. They are great pistols and I have one in Inox. I have polished the internals. (sear and hammer) New springs, and shoot the lee 124 tumble lube through it and have great results.
Some don't like them, but I have had one for about 5 years now and will never get rid of it. At $350 its a good deal and if you hit the Beretta forum there's all kinds of loads and how to make it a fantastic pistol.

Also there's videos on how to take it apart and put it together again. If you can't find them contact me and I'll try to put them somewhere so you can have them.

I also have a 1911 and love both of these pistols.
Hope you get it and have great success with it

DollarBill

Trey45
12-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I kick myself for getting rid of the 2 I had, I'll buy another one when the right one comes along for the right price. $350 is the right price.

Frank46
12-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I've seen these at the local gun shows for about that price. Probably police turn ins. I have one I bought about 14 years ago and my buddy wants it so bad. Took off the rear sight and installed
an adjustable one. Made a big difference as to how it shoots for me. Cheaper than dirt used to sell police turned in holsters for these awhile back. Bought two and were in really nice condition.
Frank

rintinglen
12-16-2011, 01:41 AM
My son in law loves his, I'd buy one for 350 if it was in even halfway decent shape. Not a hideout gun but a great blaster.

danski26
12-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I'd grab it Joe! Its a very good price and the 92 is a good pistol. My 92 elite was the most accurate 9mm I had ever shot. Easy to maintain and work on if needed also.

MtGun44
12-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Replace the hammer spring directly with a 1911 hammer spring. This is an "action job", dirt
cheap ($5) and easy, makes the dbl action really nice. Drop in, no smithing required.

Learn to thumb the safety off with the strong hand thumb during the draw, and then again
when you bring the weak hand into the two handed grip. This is due to the ease of either
missing the safety on the first try, or the ease of putting the safety back on inadvertantly
during a load from lockback as you release the slide by the hand on top rear methods.
The ease of accidentally putting the safety back on in a reload is a serious design weakness
of an otherwise real decent design. The other issue with the gun is that it is HUGE for a
9mm.

Bill

Russel Nash
12-17-2011, 01:40 AM
yeah, what he ^^^ said basically.

you can take a 1911 spring and cut a few coils off it, and use that as the main spring. Ideally, the legitimate way to do it is to buy a "D" spring and stick that in there.

as far as drawing it from a holster, there is no need to have the safety on in the first place.

gas'er up. then push down on the safety decocker lever and the hammer drops. then flip the lever back up.

for all intended purposes it is basically a double action revolver.

from the draw, then, it is straight to the trigger.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 04:02 AM
The one spare part I would get and keep handy is the locking block that goes under the barrel. I replaced several dozen of those while I was still in the Navy. They seemed to break at about 1500 rounds.

I haven't heard about the civilian ones breaking, but the ones we had commonly broke. Usually one side would crack, and fail to extract that round. If you did a tap rack bang drill it would either jam again or the other side would break then, making it difficult to open the slide (big clue something was wrong).

Beretta's are accurate with the right load, in my experience. For $350, even I might buy a 9mm again.

Robert

hicard
12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I have the model 96 (40 S&W) and it is one of my favorites.

Hardcast416taylor
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I bought a compact 92 Centurion DAO about 15 years back. The more I use it the smoother it has become. Haven`t done a thing to it other than normal cleaning. Remember, the safety on a DAO pistol - no matter who made it or what cal. it is - is the safety between your ears!Robert