PDA

View Full Version : Big Pintail

chaos
12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Some of you fellers asked about pintails having long tails in Texas in one of my earlier threads........ Didn't have to wait until after Christmas to see one this year !

My 14 year old took a huge Bull Sprig Last weekend. Even wearing a piece of Jewelry. Banded in 2007 in Sasketchewan. This one is gettin mounted. Handloaded steel shot.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/SprigBand2.jpg

waksupi
12-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Neat!

Blammer
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Outstanding! Duck hunting was my first love and pintails are fast!

Good shooting!

bowfin
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think any other duck has the elegant beauty of a drake pintail. Not the flashy colors of a drake mallard or wood duck, but akin to someone who wears a tuxedo well.

Do you get a lot of banded ducks?

slide
12-15-2011, 01:22 PM
The smile on that young man's face tells the whole story!

TCLouis
12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Congratulations to the young Man.

chaos
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't think any other duck has the elegant beauty of a drake pintail. Not the flashy colors of a drake mallard or wood duck, but akin to someone who wears a tuxedo well.

Do you get a lot of banded ducks?

I agree, Pintails are my favorite. Banded Ducks are virtually non existant in West Texas. I have a buddy who has been guiding for 20 years. He has been on 4 hunts where a banded duck was taken, hunts near every day of the season with clients.

chuckbuster
12-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I shot a similar one about 20 years ago, also in West Texas, just outside Amarillo actually. As I saw it coming in then fold on my shot I was already thinking about what style mount to have done! :)

Then my lab delivered it to me. One PROBLEM!!!! My Lead and aim had been just a little to good, perhaps a bit too much choke but the result all the same. Almost nothing left of the front half of the head! Oh well, they are good eating also.
Kevin

jnovotny
12-16-2011, 09:03 PM
That is pretty awesome! We shoot a few of them bull sprigs around here early on. They aren't as colored up as yours is. I have to hunt late in the season to shoot a nice one.

kbstenberg
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Once again your Pin surpasses mine by a mile. Your son must be starting his wall hanging trophies. I didn't get my first one till I was 52.
The background in your picture sure looks like Manitoba.

chaos
12-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Once again your Pin surpasses mine by a mile. Your son must be starting his wall hanging trophies. I didn't get my first one till I was 52.
The background in your picture sure looks like Manitoba.

I wish it was CANADA!!!! Its West Texas on a rare cold misty afternoon. The 110 degree bone dry Summer days sure do get old in a hurry.

Johnch
12-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Well done

Love to see a youngster with a smile like that :bigsmyl2:

Here in NW Ohio
I see a fair amount of banded birds every year
But banded Pin's are rare

John

quack1
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice bird! He should be proud. Pintails are few and far between in western Pa. Have only shot 2 drakes in 47 years of duck hunting. My last one was the nicer of the two, but no comparison to your son's (and no band).
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/pintailmidbay1.jpg