PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem missfire

camotruck
12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a '52 marlin 336 in 35 rem. Passed down to me from my Dad many years ago. No, you can't have it and no it's not for sale:bigsmyl2: But I'm having trouble with misfires and wanted to ramble a bit to see what others think. When I pull the trigger the hammer falls and leaves a small dent in the primer. But not enough to set it off. My first thought is gunk build up in the fireing pin and surrounding spring, because my Dad believed WD-40, Duct tape, and a big hammer were all you ever needed to fix anything. Well not really but I'd bet that gun has seen more than a few cans of WD-40 and I haven't taken it down and given it a full cleaning. Second I has a hammer spur/ extention on it that might be slowing the hammer fall just enough to make it missfire. And lastly I reloaded using CCI primers that might be too hard for thr older spring with all the years of gunk along with the extra weight of the hammer spur to be set off. I've looked around on the web for a replacement srping for it but keep comming up with Wolf light hammer springs.. I don't know that I want a light spring....do I?

Thanks Camo

TXGunNut
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
First step is a good cleaning. That cures many ills, diagnoses many others.

pergoman
12-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I have successfully solved the problem you are having for several folks by simply getting rid of the gunk built up over time. Dust and oil make a pretty effective paste for rendering a gun inoperable.

rintinglen
12-15-2011, 12:50 AM
+1 on a good cleaning, many Marlins have a two part part firing pin and it is not at all uncommon for dirt, grease, or just plain crud to build up in the bolt recess where the two parts butt heads. Removing the bolt, soaking it in mineral spirits then scubbing it with an old tooth brush is very likely to cure the problem. Give it a good squirt out doors with a can of carborator cleaner, lightly lube it with a good quality gun oil, put it back together and in 2035 you may have to do it again.

crazy mark
12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
If it is reloads it also could be a head space issue. Some people set their dies so low they push back the shoulder just enough to cause this. You want to set the dies so that the bolt just closes on an empty shell. you can have up to .002 extra space. I have for guns that shoot 35 Rems and in two the shoulder placement is more critical than the other 2. One is a T/C and the other is a 336A. The rifle length one.

handyman25
12-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Comments above are correct but I will cover them again. I also have a 336 marlin in 35 Remington, 1953, from my dad. First clean and oil the rifle well and do not forget the magizine tube. CCI primers work for me. Head space could be a problem but not likely. If the hammer feels weak when cocking the rifle then go to the Marlin forum web site, you should be able to find where to get a spring. marlinowners.com

Bret4207
12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Gunk buildup is likely and I should note that on my '52 336SC 35 I have to have a good squeeze on the lever against the bottom tang. There's a safety block of some sort in there. Wimpy holds results in misfires. That may be adjustable, I haven't had time to pursue it yet.

Reload3006
12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
yep every one is right on target there are several good dis-assembly videos on Youtube check them out watch them several times Lay all your parts out as you take them off/out and give it a good cleaning it will probably fix your problem. I had a 1100 shotgun do the same thing to me. was dirty as all get out. complete dis-assembly and soap & water light Oil and reassembly fixed it. Break free helps a lot too and if something is broken you will see it and know what you need to fix it. Should you find any broken parts Numerich gun parts online has almost always had everything I have ever needed.

jonas302
12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
My 336 in 30-30 took a small washer under the hammer spring after everything was cleaned in the bolt and firing pin new $6 spring is here from midway but haven't put it on yet

camotruck
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Got it cleaned up today. Now I just need time to get to the range. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Camo

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 03:24 AM
I believe Brownells carries the stock strength mainspring.

But I agree, clean out all of the turned to varnish WD-40 and most likely your problems will be solved.

After you take the stock off the spring is fairly easy to replace.

Robert

Ramslammer
12-17-2011, 06:15 AM
G'Day
I'm with Jonas302, when we use a light spring and get ignition problems we use a washer on the front of the hammer spring. Just keep adding them till it's reliable ( never needed more than 2).
Juddy

T-Bird
12-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I had the same prob. 2yrs ago w/my then newly acquired 336 35Rem.I then came to this forum. I cleaned the bolt, tried the washer, neither of which worked . I backed up the resizing die to try and prevent shoulder setback, then shortened the oal of my cartridge so the RCBS35- 200 did not engrave on the rifling so much as to not let the lever close ALL THE WAY every time and my problem went away.All of this was recommended here. My rifle apparently has a short throat like ,I have read,many Marlin levers do so achieving the oal that worked made the cartridge look pretty short. But it shooots straight. T-Bird

shooting on a shoestring
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I came into a cheap 336 in 3030. It misfired. Cleaned it well, didn't help. Found the rear firing pin was not being forced up high enough by the cross bolt when it closed making the rear firing pin hit the bottom of the hole as it went forward to strike the longer front firing pin. A bit of judicious file work made the "hole" a bit of a funnel, made a huge reduction in the misfires. Two washers under the hammer spring and its reliable. Yep I'll get a new spring...one of these days.

Gtek
12-18-2011, 12:28 AM
My father was a WD-40 man, it took me years to get him to change. The change occured when he missed a big boy, 700 and it did not even click. Found the trigger mech full of varnish to the point the sear was not lifting to engage. Dad has been gone for almost a decade and I have much of his supply left. Every time I see a can I think of him, but the ONLY thing I use it for is torching bugs- way cool flame thrower with lighter. The carrier evaporates and leaves a substance much like cabinet varnish. Remove roll pin on bolt and clean firing pin channel and pins/spring and replace with very light oil. I bet it goes bang. Gtek

camotruck
12-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I cleaned the complete slide mech and took it to the range yesterday good news is I didn't have to clean it afterword. Bad news is it still wont fire.. It makes a small dent in the primer and it looks like a very slight ring around that, witch I think is a mark from the hole that the fireing pin comes through. based on that I think my head spacing is good. Next step is the washer(s) behind the spring.

Bigscot
12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
I have the same problem with a .35 Rem. I have cleaned and cleaned to no avail. The one thing suggested here, and I did do was try a box of factory. Everyone went boom the first shot. I have been meaning to send by dies back to rcbs to see they may be the problem. Try some factory loads and see how they do.

Bigscot

Piedmont
12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
My Marlin .45-70 did this years ago. My then-gunsmith said this was common with Marlins and bought a spring I believe from Wolff. That fixed it.

Ed in North Texas
12-24-2011, 10:05 AM
All the above is good advice. On thing not mentioned, though not real likely, is primers not completely seated. If the primers on the reloads aren't fully seated, the firing pin strike will seat them, but not fire them - leaving a light mark on the primer. The spring needing replacement is far more likely, but this is an outside possibility.

Ed

scb
12-24-2011, 12:09 PM
If nothing else works look at the lever. This is really hard to do unless you have another one to compare it to. On a few of occasions I have seen the levers bent to a point that they will not raise the locking block high enough to line the rear, short part of the firing pin up in line with the front part of the firing pin. In one case the owner said he was handing the rifle , with the action open to someone in the back of a pick-up and exchange was "mishandled", the rifle fell and the lever hit the truck. The others I'm guessing were from something similar or from someone doing their John Wayne or Rifleman impersonation.

camotruck
12-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Success I added a washer. I pulled a bullet because the frown on firing your rifle in town here. Loaded up that primed empty case and she popped the primer.

Thanks to everyone
Camo