PDA

View Full Version : stupi question

white eagle
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
do all 45 acp revolvers in D/A need those moon clips ?
I ask because I had a Blackhawk convertible that well obviously didn't use moon clips so do they make a double action that follows that line ...

44MAG#1
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
No the all don't i had a 3 inch S&W 45ACP revolver i rarely used clips with. My jerry Michelek (sp) does need them.
so some yes some no.
With a double action to eject all the cases at one time yes. If you don't mind picking cases out individually with the one that don't need clips no.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-14-2011, 10:44 PM
If you want to be able to get 45acps out "yes" you need to use moon clips. However you can "pick" acps out or use AR brass.

If you are going to shoot all six rounds you really can’t beat full moon clips, they are fast and cheap. I use AR brass in hunting situations when I am likely to only shoot a few times and then reload.

Pepe Ray
12-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I can't figure out why the 1/3 moon clips have been ignored for so many posts/threads.
Simple, relatively fast, positive ejection, easy retrieval (from the grass).
and the are a snap to carry in pocket or ammo box.
What gives?
Pepe Ray

EDK
12-15-2011, 12:26 AM
1/3d moon clips are good...full moon clips are better. Not using them is a PITA! I reloaded for 5 different 45 ACP Smith & Wessons various times over the last 30+ years.

I wasted a lot of time trying to get the crimp, etc set correctly so I didn't have to use moon clips in a S&W 25-2. Ammo that worked well in TWO custom COLT Government models and the S&W 645s that replaced them was a hassle in the S&W 25-2 and various 625-2 models.

Currently I'm getting ready to load for an Old Model RUGER 45 Convertible....if someone fails to "make me an offer I can't refuse." I bought a DILLON case gauge and I'll get it right.....or the gun will become trade goods.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Piedmont
12-15-2011, 03:48 AM
They shouldn't need moon clips but most of the S&Ws do because Smiff set the headspace too liberally. So most rounds go off without clips, but not all, at least in the S&W revolvers I have used.

Mk42gunner
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I have only had one .45 ACP revovler, a S&W Model 25-2. It did not need clips to fire, to extract, yes.

I have heard that at least some of the M1917 Colts had straight through chambers, so they did need the clip to headspace with.

Robert

matsu
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I have two do and two don't

MtGun44
12-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Actually, NONE of them need clips to function. They need them to eject quickly. You can shoot
the bare ammo and push out the cases with a pencil or shake them out in some guns and
certain loads.

Bill

44MAG#1
12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Can one give an answer written in stone about this question?

EDK
12-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Can one give an answer written in stone about this question?

There is NOTHING written in stone on a topic like this...too d*** many manufacturing tolerances and changes over the years.

The early S&W 625-2s, 89 or 90, were recalled because a new guy ground the chambering reamers with a square edge rather than a radius (like the old guy who retired did) and the guns would cut lead boolits and then you couldn't get rounds to chamber properly. You literally had to clean after two rounds through each chamber. I talked to a factory rep at the Masters 'way back when....had my guns corrected while waiting...couple twists with a chambering reamer.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: