PDA

View Full Version : what size sizers?

barnabus
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I need to purchase some sizers for my RCBS luber.Can you guys tell me what size sizer I need? I have heard some say swag the barrel but I dont think Im gonna try that.I have also heard some guns or calibers like some sized to nominal size and some shoot better a little over nominal size. So tell what i need.Thanks

44 mag (S&W 29)
44 acp (Springfield 1911)
357 mag (S&W 686)
9mm (Springfield XD)
380 acp (Sig 380)

stubshaft
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
If you don't want to slug the barrel and get the actual bore measurement. The asking what diameter will shoot best in your guns is fruitless. Some guns even shoot better with boolits under posted bore diameter, but only your guns will decide what shoots best.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Slug you barrel fist or else you could waste quite a bit of time and money trying to get cast to work. If it makes you nervous do a little search here on the forum and you will see it is really not that hard. Revolvers are easy you just slug the chambers with a soft lead ball or boolit and go .001”~.002” bigger.

But to answer your question here are “standard” sizes that will “in general” work.
44 mag (S&W 29) .430
44 acp (Springfield 1911) .452 (assuming you mean 45acp)
357 mag (S&W 686) .358
9mm (Springfield XD) .356
380 acp (Sig 380) .356

However keep in mind the ideal diameter could be anywhere in-between the following, and in some cases even smaller or larger.
44 mag (S&W 29) .429~.433
44 acp (Springfield 1911) .450~.454
357 mag (S&W 686) .355~.360
9mm (Springfield XD) .355~.360
380 acp (Sig 380) .355~.360

As you can see each gun could have a wide range of diameters and the only way to know for sure is to simply slug your barrel.

mooman76
12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Slugging your guns is not as hard as it sounds. We could take a guess for you but that is all it would be and you end up having to go through allot of extra trouble and work, way more work than slugging.

atr
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
when I first started casting years ago I did not slug my barrels and purchased dies which were over the groove diameter....for example for .308 I purchased .309 die, for .357 it would be a .358 die. Dies slightly over the manuf. stated groove dia. by .001 would in my opinion be a good place to start.
That being said if you are dealing with old weapons, and especially military surplus weapons then you really should slug the barrel because these weapons have wide variations in groove diameters.
And stubshaft is correct when he says that "only your guns will decide what shoots best".

Shooting lead cast is all about experimenting.

12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Just like most things having to do with casting and reloading, homework is required. In this case, you need to slug the revolvers' chambers and the auto-loaders' barrels. Nominal size is within a plus-or-minus tolerance and generally does not reflect reality. Slugged size is reality.

barnabus
12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
ok so if I slug my barrel and get my measurement is that the size I buy.... or do I go .001 over? Thanks

PS: I dont have any round balls but i do have some lead that came off the walls of a an xray room-Its really soft so Im assumming its pure lead.If I cast a bullet of each caliber out of the mould could I use those bullets to get my measurement?

12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, you can use those X-ray boolits as slugs, if they are fat enough. If not, tap them with a hammer to fatten them up.

It can/will vary from one gun to the next, but the general rule of thumb is .001" to .002" over the largest revolver cylinder throat -- yes you need to slug all of them -- or groove dimension (auto-loader handgun and rifle).

Very helpful hint: If you don't already have one, get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, either the 3rd or 4th edition, and read it a couple times.

tcbnick
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
if your a real noobey than PLEASE read about slugging your bore, It's not hard but if not done right you could have a slug stuck in your barrel and that is hard to deal with. A fishing weight that is all lead works great, there is a chart on here someware that gives a suggestion as to what weighs = bore dia. what your trying to do is get a snug fit with the slug and drive it through using a brass rod and a mallet. Make sure you use some gun oil on the slug and in the barrel. But like I said USE THE SEARCH TAB

mdi
12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Kinda like buying a pair of pants; too big or too small won't work too good, so ya gotta know what size fits. For the revolvers, slug the cylinder throats and size the bullets to that size, ie; cylinder throats measure .431" (.44 Magnum), size bullets to .431" This will work well if your barrel is from .429" to .431". For your semi autos slug the barrel and go .001" to .003" larger. Slugging a barrel isn't difficult, just go slow and don't beat on the muzzle with a ball pien hammer! Info on slugging: http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm

C.F.Plinker
12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
A fishing weight that is all lead works great, there is a chart on here someware that gives a suggestion as to what weighs = bore dia.

I use the egg sinkers that have the small hole through them. The 1/8 oz works up to .30 Cal and the 1/4 oz works from there up to 45 Cal. I usually have to set them on the vise anvil and tap the ends to get them fat enough to work in the larger bores. Use a metal rod with electrical tape at each end and every 4-6 inches to keep it centered in the bore and insure that it doesn't touch the bore. Oil the bore and the weight well before starting. I start them with a plastic faced hammer so I won't mar the muzzle and when it is almost in use a 2 inch long rod to tap it in until it is just below the muzzle. Then I tap it in further using the pistol rod and finally the rifle rod. Put something soft below it so the slug won't be damaged when it exits the chamber.