PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs RCBS

wtfooptimax200
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I am sure that this has been beat to death, but is it a Ford vs Chevy issue? I have gotten the impression that the RCBS may have a slight edge, but I live within a 5 minute drive from Lyman's facility and would love to keep my money local. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Branden

12-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Which pieces of casting/reloading equipment are you inquiring about?

No one company makes the best of everything, nor has the best value. Warranties and customer service come into play, too.

I have equipment from RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee, and Redding. The only real problems I've encountered were with Lee seating dies and fat-for-caliber boolits -- replacing them with Lyman dies eliminated them.

canyon-ghost
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I use both, to be honest. I love Lyman, there's just some molds that they don't offer anymore. RCBS is not tons better, just a little different. Use either one.

wtfooptimax200
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Sorry about that, I should have been clearer....I was thinking about Lubrisizers, I just forgot to type it out....I can be an idiot at times LOL

12-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm very satisfied with my Lyman 45 and 4500.

RobS
12-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I have a RCBS Lube-a-Matic II and it's been solid. I don't think that there is a great deal of difference between them. The older lubricators (Lyman 450 and RCBS LAM I) were identical regarding the cast body but the handles were different. The Lyman 4500 and RCBS LAMII are a bit different with the RCBS supposedly a bit more beefy due to some of the first 4500's cracking near the base of the cast body. I haven't heard anything bad about a Lyman 4500 lately (over two years) though. Being so close to Lyman, I'm sure if you had a problem and walked in (vs mailing or calling on the phone) they would take care of the lubricator for you.

drklynoon
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a Lyman 4500 it works great for me but others have had the stem pull out. I am sorry I can't tell ya if the RCBS is any different as far as other things are concerned, I am like most. I like Lyman reloading equipment but use LEE dies cause I like the O-Ring. New Lyman Molds tend to run a little small which is infuryating. RCBS don't do that. RCBS customer service is hands down better. It really just depends on what you are use to and what works for you.

avogunner
12-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I like my 450 just fine. It's been going strong for over 25yrs without a single problem.

mtgrs737
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I have four Lyman 450's and find them to work just fine. I must in fairness say that I have never used a LAM, mainly because I never felt the need to.

beagle
12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I have four 450s and a RCBS. The RCBS is hanging on the wall. I find the 450s just a bit more user friendly so some reason. Either one will do the job though and RCBS has a great warranty program./beagle

Bradley
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I am sure that this has been beat to death, but is it a Ford vs Chevy issue? I have gotten the impression that the RCBS may have a slight edge, but I live within a 5 minute drive from Lyman's facility and would love to keep my money local. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Branden

Somewhere during the production of the Lyman 450 Lyman tightened up the spec's. That means that some older sizing dies just will not fit into newer 450's or any of the 4500's. No way to tell. So if you have a lot of old sizing dies, the current Lyman 4500 might not be your best bet.

The RCBS will handle all Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. And all RCBS products, except electronics, are guaranteen for life. BUT there is a problem with the RCBS lubricator/sizer. After a lot of use the cylindrical part that actually applies pressure to the grease just doesn't do that anymore. Changing out the o-ring doesn't help. You turn the handle and nothing happens. I think the reservoir walls just get to slick. This is frustrating and I don't know of a solution.

So each unit has its limitations.

12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
. . . some older sizing dies just will not fit into newer 450's or any of the 4500's.

I have a number of the older Lyman dies, that don't have the O-ring, and they fit my 4500.

canyon-ghost
12-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I have two 4500s, and use the heating element with Carnuba Red. I like them.

fishnbob
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
BUT there is a problem with the RCBS lubricator/sizer. After a lot of use the cylindrical part that actually applies pressure to the grease just doesn't do that anymore. Changing out the o-ring doesn't help. You turn the handle and nothing happens. I think the reservoir walls just get to slick. This is frustrating and I don't know of a solution.

So each unit has its limitations.

Are the threads on either the rod or the plunger wore out? I hadn't heard of this before.:?

Oreo
12-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Is there any reason to prefer either the RCBS or Lyman sizers over a Star? I thought a Star was pretty much the be-all end-all of lube-sizers. What am I missing?

fishnbob
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Is there any reason to prefer either the RCBS or Lyman sizers over a Star? I thought a Star was pretty much the be-all end-all of lube-sizers. What am I missing?

Initial cost!!:redneck:

wallenba
12-21-2011, 01:34 PM

They seem to have their niches. My 4500 and LAM will bend a long, tall rifle bullet, and my Star will blunt the noses of pointy types. The 4500 & LAM seem to be best at pointy boolits to about 185 grains, The Star, any pistol boolit, and a Lee for those cruise missles. Just my experience.

quasi
12-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Ithink everything RCBS makes beats anything Lyman makes, including warrantys.

MikeS
12-21-2011, 08:15 PM
If you're getting your first lube-sizer and don't have a bunch of Lyman/RCBS style dies already, I would say to spend the extra money and buy a Star. It costs more initially, but once you have it, you can get any dies you need from a member here Lathesmith, and his dies are just about the best you can get! And if you buy a new Star sizer you're keeping your money in the US, and helping support a relatively small company (compared to Lyman or RCBS). I had a Lyman 45 sizer, and switched to a Star, and it's a world of difference, the Star really IS as good as everyone says it is! I had some boolits I had lubed with the 45, but the uppermost driving band wasn't sized properly (it didn't get far enough into the die), but running them thru the Star fixed them right up! The main difference between the Star vs Lyman/RCBS sizers is that the Star pushes the boolit all the way thru the die, where the Lyman/RCBS/SAECO sizers push the boolit into the die, then push it back out the top. Because of this the Lyman/RCBS sizers need different top punches for each different style boolit you're sizing, but the Star pushes the boolits thru nose first, so the only different punches needed are for different caliber boolits, and even then unless you're seating gas checks at the same time you can usually get away with using a smaller punch without any problems. There are folks here that say that by using a sizer that pushed the boolit all the way thru (the Star, or Lee sizers) will give you boolits that are more concentric than boolits sized with the Lyman/RCBS sizers.

If you do already have a bunch of dies, and are buying a replacement sizer, then I would say you could go with either company. As you're 5 minutes from Lyman, I would say to go with them, as if you have any problems with it you could always take it over to them to look at much easier than sending an RCBS unit back to them.