PDA

View Full Version : CH Single Stage Press

robertbank
02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a chance to pick up a CH single stage press fairly cheap. I seem to remember CH was a major player in reloading equipment. Press looks to be in good shape and certainly is built heavy enough. Anyone like to comment on the press. I have a Dillon 550 but want to get a single stage for rifle loading. Sold my Rockchucker on one of my moves a few years back and have regretted it ever since.
I assume it takes standard dies and shell holders.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Here is a picture of it.

Bob

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Bob,

They are still in business. Here is the website address if you'd like to find out a bit more about that press: http://www.ch4d.com/

From their description, it sounds like you could add a Hornady Lock N Load conversion bushing to making changing dies a very fast operation. If you'd like to know more about the conversion kit and what it can do, give me a holler.

Regards,

Dave

utk
02-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Ask if it's made of aluminium or cast steel.

quasi
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
that press is not made any more, I think it was called a "junior champion" or something like that.

Char-Gar
03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Robert.. It will make you a fine reloading press... grab it and don't look back.. CH made good stuff..fully equal to RCBS, Pacific and others of it's day. I am reasonably certain it will be cast iron.

utk
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Donīt be too sure about cast iron (easy to check with a magnet).
I was recently offered a single stage CH press, smaller than the "Rock Chucker" size. I sent CH a mail and he said: Aluminium.
I already have a CH 4-hole H-style press and itīs made of aluminium.

robertbank
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Lost opportunity I am afraid. Will chase a Rockchucker on EBay.

Take Care

Bob

Swagerman
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Robertbank, I once had a C-H press just like the one in the photo, it was a Junior Champ press model.

It was a good sturdy press, but not ment for bullet swaging, I broke two ram toggle base pins in it...and bent a third swaging hundreds of cast boolits.

Finally went to the older Herter's models and never looked back.

Swagerman Jim :)

LAH
03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Donīt be too sure about cast iron (easy to check with a magnet).
I was recently offered a single stage CH press, smaller than the "Rock Chucker" size. I sent CH a mail and he said: Aluminium.
I already have a CH 4-hole H-style press and itīs made of aluminium.

How do you like the 4 hole H style press?...........Creeker

utk
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Creeker, it is a very "handy" and nice press. Small and compact. I think itīs mostly intended for handguns, though.
I think it was sold as "CH 444 pistol Champ" and mine is complete with a pushbutton powder measure (with separate powder bushings), a pushbutton primer feeder and a .32SWL powder-through-expander die.
One drawback is you need 4 shellholders if you want to operate it as intended, or load one case at a time moving it around.
It would be great to use for eg. decapping, priming and lee bulletsizing, having all dies mounted and ready for use. Also a nice press to carry to the range for load development.

Urban

LAH
03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks utk..............Creeker

Catfish
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Why would you want to load rifle ammo an a single stage press when you have a 550 Dillon???????????? The loads are not any more accurate and it takes alot longer to load on a single stage press. I form brass for my wildcat on a 550 Dillon. The only reason I can think of for a single stage press, if you have a Dillon, is to swedge primer pockets on mil. brass.

robertbank
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Ran out of holes to put dies in. Want to crimp in a separate operation.

Stage 1 - Neck resizer
Stage 2 - Powder Die
Stage 3 - Neck Expander
Stage 4 - Boolit Seating Die
Opps - Crimp Die
Also can use the single stage for full length resizing brass not shot in my rifle - just convenience. May pick up a used Rockchucker in time,

Take Care

Bob