PDA

View Full Version : Question on case forming/ cutting rims

Dschuttig
12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi,
I am thinking about making some brass for hard to find or expensive brass. One of the cartridges that I would like to form is the 7.65 french long for the MAB pistols. From what I understand you have to take the rim off 32 S&W brass and cut an extractor grrove. I know that this can be done on a lathe, but i really don't want to spend that much money on something I won't use that often. Is there a cheaper option for reducing rims or cutting grooves, ect?

warf73
12-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I did a fast search on the 7.65 french long, you are in for a long haul.
Do you already have dies for this? I can only find RCBS dies and they are $160 special order.
I read that some guys are using 32S&W brass as you said and also read some using 32 auto. I don't know if that 32 auto is a good direction or not. I found brass for it but its $40 per 50 http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/#pistol if that will work.
If you don't have dies that would be a direction I would go with first before worry about making or buying brass.

Good luck in your adventure I wish you well.

warf73
12-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I found this maybe it will help?

Thread Title: "7.65 french long"
I have read several places where people are looking to make ammo for the 7.65 French Long. I do it and offer this advice: It takes work, but if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it. Start with good brass - like Starline 32 Smith&Wesson Long. Other brass is thinner in the case walls and you won't be happy with the end result as the bullets will feel loose when seated.

Trim the brass to length of .776. I find it easier and faster to first trim the case with a copper tubing cutter slightly long, then finish trimming to final length in a conventional case trimmer. I use a Lyman case trimmer. Chamfer and de-burr.

Chuck the case in a drill press, and using 2 hacksaw blades, cut the extractor groove. I cut it to a depth of .290 at the rim, and bevel the cut out at about 45 degrees towards the case mouth end. Use a dial caliper and check often, With practice, this is easier than it sounds. Using a single hacksaw metal blade, thin the rim slightly and make it square. Then, thin the rim to .335.

I final check my cases by using an RCBS 7.65 French Long shell holder. You will need to order this from RCBS. When the case enters the shell holder with ease, it is about done. You can - with practice, use a single saw blade to remove any imperfections while the case is turned in the drill press.

You can buy special reloading dies ($160) or just use a .32ACP die set adjusted for the longer French round. I load both the 85 grain Sierra RN pistol bullet, as well as the cheaper 93 grain FMJ bullet s9old in bulk for the .30 Luger and 7.62 Russian automatic pistol rounds. I use 3.6 grains Unique powder for the 85 grain bullet at about 1060 FPS and 3.5 grains for the heavier 93 grain bullet at about 1070 FPS.

Case length = .776/ Bullet diameter = .3085/ Over All Length = 1.198/ Rim Diameter = .335/ Rim Thickness = .046/

I have made cases from .30 Carbine, but it is just as much work, and the brass is much thicker. You'd have to ream the finished case to accept a .308 bullet. Not worth the trouble - just convert .32 S&W Long brass.

And the link http://www.gunauction.com/help/forum/DisplayForum.cfm?SubjectID=32073

paul edward
12-16-2011, 03:34 PM
There was an article by Mike Venturino in a recent edition of Handloading magazine about shooting the French military pistols chambered for this cartridge.

Horace
12-17-2011, 02:23 AM
The Fouling Shot/No 209/Jan-Feb 2011 has a short artical.

Horace