PDA

View Full Version : Issues sizing 22-250 brass

Hackleback
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Picked up a set of like new Pacific Duracrome dies at a local gun show and proceded to load a handfull of range and given brass for a like new Tikka WTH in 22-250. When I got to the range, the hand loaded rounds would not chamber so I shot some factory rounds with no problem. I assumend that I had not set the sizing die far enough down and had "neck sized" the brass. Today I pulled the bullets from the hand loads, took out the decapping pin and made sure that the die was touching the shell holder with just a bit of spring in the press handle. I resized the brass and chambreded them in the rifle. no dice, still will not chamber. Tried a differnt shell holder (RCBS) still will not chamber. The brass are close to chambering- that is I can chamber them but it is a crush fit that shines up the case heads. A bit too tight for my liking.

The next thing I intend to do is file off the top of the shellholder so the brass can be sized a bit more. Before I do this, does anyone have any thoughts on these dies and why I am having this problem?

Thanks

No_1
02-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Since factory still will feed I would think it is the dies and if that is the case, I would try to modify the dies instead of the shell holder. That thought is based on the idea that the shell holder should be standard in size. Also, that shell holder could be used for something else and if it is "shortened" so to speak then the next caliber you use with that shell holder, adjusting the dies the way they are supposed to be adjusted will cause the brass to be sized too short.

But that is just my .02 worth.

Robert

Picked up a set of like new Pacific Duracrome dies at a local gun show and proceded to load a handfull of range and given brass for a like new Tikka WTH in 22-250. When I got to the range, the hand loaded rounds would not chamber so I shot some factory rounds with no problem. I assumend that I had not set the sizing die far enough down and had "neck sized" the brass. Today I pulled the bullets from the hand loads, took out the decapping pin and made sure that the die was touching the shell holder with just a bit of spring in the press handle. I resized the brass and chambreded them in the rifle. no dice, still will not chamber. Tried a differnt shell holder (RCBS) still will not chamber. The brass are close to chambering- that is I can chamber them but it is a crush fit that shines up the case heads. A bit too tight for my liking.

The next thing I intend to do is file off the top of the shellholder so the brass can be sized a bit more. Before I do this, does anyone have any thoughts on these dies and why I am having this problem?

Thanks

454PB
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Shellholders are cheaper than dies, and the 22/250 uses the RCBS #3, which is very common and easy to find. I think it would be a good idea to ruin a shellholder first. If it is the die, you can either send it back for replacement or mark the altered shellholder as "dedicated" to that die. Shellholders are generally very hard, I doubt that a file will cut it, you may have to use a whetstone.

No_1
02-25-2007, 01:50 PM
You are correct, the shell holders are cheaper. My suggestiong was designed to prevent a excessive headspace issue down the road. You hit the nail on the head, the best fix is to send back the dies for repair/replacement and/or the alternative is to sell those off to someone who collects that brand and get a set of RCBS (so they match the shell holder).

Robert

Shellholders are cheaper than dies, and the 22/250 uses the RCBS #3, which is very common and easy to find. I think it would be a good idea to ruin a shellholder first. If it is the die, you can either send it back for replacement or mark the altered shellholder as "dedicated" to that die. Shellholders are generally very hard, I doubt that a file will cut it, you may have to use a whetstone.

nicholst55
02-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Redding sells shellholders in sets that allow you to fine-tune this sort of issue. They are +.001, .002, .003, and -.001, .002, .003, etc. You cal also have a gunsmith or toolmaker grind, say, .010" off the base of the die and radius it. Or, you can always buy a set of Lee dies for less than what any of this will cost you!

Mk42gunner
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
When did Hornady buy out Pacific? Is it possible these dies are old enough that they were custom made for a wildcat chamber? I would try calling Hornady first, then thinning the shell holder. If your dies work I would think about grinding the bottom of the sizing die so it would work with a standard shellholder.

Good Luck,

Robert

Phil
02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm unclear on this; when you set the die up with the shell holder contacting and a bit of overcam, did you have a case in the die at that time? And if so, are you sure the shell holder was contacting the die with a case in the die?

Cheers,

Phil

Hackleback
02-26-2007, 09:18 AM
The Pacific dies are older, but I seem to come across a lot of them that look brand new. As for the wild cat comment, this could be but there is a parts # on the box which makes me think that it is an off the shelf item.

Phil, when I set up the die, I had it contact the shell holder with some springy cam over without a case in it. With a case in it, the contact might not be as much since the press will be "under load" from sizing the case. I should be FL sizing with this setup. I am in the process of filing down a shell holder to see if this will solve my problem. If it does, I will likely modify the die.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance

lovedogs
02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I've never owned Pacific/Hornady dies but about 35 years ago I had a set of RCBS dies that acted this way for me. I called them, then returned them. They took a little off the die and it worked perfect then. The die was just a tad longer than it should have been. I'd call Hornady to see if they'd fix it. Then the die will be correct and work for any other rifle and shell holder.

1hole
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
As almost stated above, you need to adjust the die down until it makes contact with the shell holder with a case in it, press under load to remove any spring in the frame and ram linkage. Failure to do so results in incomplete sizeing and, often, the problem you have encountered.

bobthenailer
03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
use a small base 308/ 30/06 ect sizer die to reduce the case head diameter to factory spec your rang brass was shot in a rifle with larger chamber dimensions and a normal sizer does not reduce the bottom part of the base.

kodiak1
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Hackleback had the same issue with RCBS dies with a 99C Savage sold the Lever bought a boult still have the same brass and they work just fine in the Savage Bolt that I now have.
I was the original owner of the 99C and you had to have everything PERFECT when resizing or they were to tight to chamber.
Good luck Ken.

LAH
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Any chance the brass needs trimmed? Just a thought.........Creeker