PDA

View Full Version : post '64 M 70 extractor

wmitty
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Could someone direct me to where I might find a replacement extractor for my .375 H&H. I am now on my second extractor and it has chipped so badly it will no longer remove a piece of brass from the chamber. Anyone else have this problem?

John Taylor
12-14-2011, 12:21 AM
You might check with Winchester http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/parts/2008_winchester_parts_pricelist.pdf

Looks like they are $40

Artful
12-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Never had an issue with my post '64 but it's in 22-250/.243/.30'06 (swap barrel)

wmitty
12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks, John Taylor, for the location of Winchester's parts supply; I had no idea this place existed. I've got the old pushfeed design, which drives me nuts what with the cartridges jumping out of the magazine more often than not, but it is an excellent cast boolet rifle.

db

12-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Have done the same relacement on the same model. Really an easy job IF you can get the right part. The thing to be sure of.... (and you may know this already but some reading this may not) is those Win push feed extractors come in different sizes for different case head/rim sizes. So, get the one for the slightly larger 375HH head. As far as the cartridge "on deck" jumping out of the box too soon... not uncommon and some of it I think depends on the cartridge design. I've cured a few of those by changing the mag spring tension and the spring angle of push on the follower. That switchback spring is a little tricky to manipulate to get the right result but it can be done by trial and error and changing it, with care, and in small increments.

Oh, I also had trouble finding the right extractor for the larger case head but checked with an older gun shop and the smith there had two left... I bought both for about $10 ea. I don't know his source though.