PDA

View Full Version : RCBS case activated linkage ?

grubbylabs
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I am looking at this package (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/802477/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-case-activated-linkage-kit?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc)here and I am not smart enough to tell if that comes with every thing I need to put my Uniflow on my progressive and use it.

I just bought a new to me Projector and I have a Uniflow but I don't have anything else will this get me what I need or do I need to buy more?

cheese1566
12-13-2011, 11:44 PM
I believe the Hornady model is identical and will also work with a Uniflow on the press.

Plus, it is $20 cheaper...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/591344/hornady-case-activated-powder-drop

If you read the reviews on MidwayUSA, one person uses it on his RCBS Uniflow. I think there has been some talk in the past on the forum about interchangeability on these.

grubbylabs
12-14-2011, 12:14 AM
How did you find that? I was looking to get either one and I could not find the Hornady version. Thank you very much.

After further review and thought ( My Wife went to bed and I was unable to ask her permission) I went a head and bought the Hornady one. They do a good job of hiding some of the stuff. I am glad you showed that to me because I looked to see what the Hornady past would cost. Plus they show you what is included in a little better detail than the RCBS part.

Again thanks I was able to take the money that you saved me and put it towards expedited shipping so I would have it for the weekend.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-14-2011, 01:44 AM
grubbylabs,

I own an RCBS Uniflow and have mounted it to a Hornady LnL case activated powder drop. You'll need an adapter fitting from RCBS to make it fit, but once you have that, it's a piece of cake to put the Uniflow on the Hornady. I don't know the number, but it's the piece that mounts directly to the Uniflow's powder cylinder. The RCBS customer support folks will know what you're talking about.

I own an RCBS Pro 2000 and it came with the RCBS case activated linkage, but after handling it and setting it up, I like the Hornady version better, plus you can buy just bases for the Hornady if you want to mount it on multiple toolheads/die plates. Or just move it around if you have a Hornady LnL progressive.

Best Regards,

Dave

grubbylabs
12-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the help. Is this a brass fitting or a plastic one? I had it mounted on the old set up that I have but I did not have the linkage so I just worked the lever by hand. It worked great for what it was. It is just a brass bushing with a brass tube that extends down.

grubbylabs
12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
grubbylabs,

I own an RCBS Uniflow and have mounted it to a Hornady LnL case activated powder drop. You'll need an adapter fitting from RCBS to make it fit, but once you have that, it's a piece of cake to put the Uniflow on the Hornady. I don't know the number, but it's the piece that mounts directly to the Uniflow's powder cylinder. The RCBS customer support folks will know what you're talking about.

I own an RCBS Pro 2000 and it came with the RCBS case activated linkage, but after handling it and setting it up, I like the Hornady version better, plus you can buy just bases for the Hornady if you want to mount it on multiple toolheads/die plates. Or just move it around if you have a Hornady LnL progressive.

Best Regards,

Dave

I called RCBS and they had no idea what I was asking about. I read your post to them and he still did not understand what you said I needed. Do you have a picture?

cheese1566
12-14-2011, 11:41 PM
grubbylabs,

Best Regards,

Dave

Dave,
can you post a pic of this?

I have also contemplated a Hornady unit for my Uniflows on my PiggyBack and AmmoMaster 2's.

Thanks!

Rolling Stone
12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I think this is the extra base Dave is talking about. This powder die can facilitate faster caliber changes as it can remain at a particular case length setting. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231522/hornady-quick-change-powder-die?cm_vc=S014
I have no idea what would enable the RCBS measure to hook up to this. I thought the RCBS measure had 7/8-14 threads like a die. Hornady has a smooth surface that moves up and down inside the activator.

RS

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
grubbylabs,

I looked up the part in my RCBS Pro 2000 instruction manual. It's on page 16 of that manual and is marked in the diagram as part number 23. Part number 23 on the list is called a:

Cylinder Link and it's part number is 788948.

You will need one of these for each Uniflow you adapt to a Hornady case activated powder drop. You can download this manual on the RCBS website and you can download the Hornady manual on the Hornady website to compare the pics.

Doesn't get any easier than that, now does it?

Hope this helps,

Dave

grubbylabs
12-17-2011, 02:58 AM
They must have changed stuff because I just set mine up and it is working great without any extra parts. So far I thought it was pretty easy to set up and get going. I made up about 75 rounds without any problem.

Daddyfixit
12-17-2011, 05:06 AM
I got the Hornady unit to put the Uniflow on my Dillon 550B and it works
SUPER. Hornady sell extra die for about 11 bucks to keep on the separate tool heads.
http://www.hornady.com/store/Case-Actuated-Basic-Powder-Die-1-Each/
I love the RCBS Uniflow!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-17-2011, 08:38 AM
They must have changed stuff because I just set mine up and it is working great without any extra parts. So far I thought it was pretty easy to set up and get going. I made up about 75 rounds without any problem.

Do you have a newer Uniflow? The one I adapted was an older model Uniflow and my Hornady CAPD was one of Hornady's earlier models as well. I know they've been corroborating on quite a few things, perhaps they decided to drill holes in cylinder or the linkage in the same locations just so each could use the other's stuff and we could buy it without having to get extra parts to adapt them.

I'm certainly happy to hear that, as I'm soon going to be buying a new CAPD (sold my original one with my LnL press) to adapt my second Uniflow to be case activated.

grubbylabs
12-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I got the Hornady unit to put the Uniflow on my Dillon 550B and it works
SUPER. Hornady sell extra die for about 11 bucks to keep on the separate tool heads.
http://www.hornady.com/store/Case-Actuated-Basic-Powder-Die-1-Each/
I love the RCBS Uniflow!
I really like my Uniflow as well. once I get it set it will even do Unique without any issues. It does not do stick powder as well but it I always get it just under what I want and then trickle in the rest.

Do you have a newer Uniflow? The one I adapted was an older model Uniflow and my Hornady CAPD was one of Hornady's earlier models as well. I know they've been corroborating on quite a few things, perhaps they decided to drill holes in cylinder or the linkage in the same locations just so each could use the other's stuff and we could buy it without having to get extra parts to adapt them.

I'm certainly happy to hear that, as I'm soon going to be buying a new CAPD (sold my original one with my LnL press) to adapt my second Uniflow to be case activated.
I am not sure, mine is an ebay special.