PDA

View Full Version : 20 ga slugs info questions

plumberroy
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
First thank you Turbo 1889 for the pm. 3-4 years ago I decided to take my H&R tracker 2 in twenty and do a poor mans 20 bore rifle So I order some cast slugs from dixie slugs and started experimenting. About that time my job went away. So the project got put on the back burner. Now I am back on the project and now dixie doesn't sell the slugs (no complaints James is great help) Right now all I am finding are the lyman pellet type slug or order a custom mold. I don't want to go any smaller sabot than the lyman and would prefer full bore. I have also heard the lyman is hard to get to shoot well . I am open to ideals. looking for a place to buy cast slugs before spending on the mold and information. I am aiming for 1050-1200 fps . point me in a direction guys :mrgreen:
Roy

bstarling
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I have thought about getting a Lee slug mold and dumping the shot out of standard low brass ammo, melting it down and making slugs. Then simply put the slug where the #8's were before they were melted. Most of those loads are in the speed range of 1200 fps or so. I've not done it yet, but it is on the back burner for this winter.

Bill

seetrout
12-14-2011, 02:48 AM
I have thought about getting a Lee slug mold and dumping the shot out of standard low brass ammo, melting it down and making slugs. Then simply put the slug where the #8's were before they were melted. Most of those loads are in the speed range of 1200 fps or so. I've not done it yet, but it is on the back burner for this winter.

Bill

Why not just use "field expedient slugs"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWv0nFJMSM

plumberroy
12-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Why not just use "field expedient slugs"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWv0nFJMSM

Boy i see all kind of problems with that !!!!!! pushing that hull through the barrelwould send pressures high . the hull could end up in the barrel then there is the chance of partially comming apart in the air and wounding

Reload3006
12-15-2011, 12:02 AM
It is called cut slugs ... people do it personally I would not.

seetrout
12-15-2011, 02:17 AM
It is called cut slugs ... people do it personally I would not.

Me neither. Thought it was interesting though.
Maybe in my cylinder bore. And the Stuff was really hitting the fan hard. And that was my only option. :dung_hits_fan:
Probably wouldn't have time to cut them at that point and I'd just kiss my butt goodbye.

Doug

nanuk
12-15-2011, 04:26 AM
I have an old NRA reloading book that discusses cut slugs

IIRC, the discussion revolves around longer range for shot, not for a slug effect