PDA

View Full Version : 308W rifle

MGySgt
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I was gifted 22 boxs of 7.62 Match ammo in LC brass. With that much ammo I just have to buy a 308.

Right??

I have it narrowed down to 2 Rifles.

The Ruger GS Scout

The Savage Mod 10 FCM (Savage version of the scout with a 20 in barrel)

Doesn't matter which one I buy - it will have the scope mounted in the traditional location!!

Why one of these? Factory Iron Sights, good and sturdy ones! (the apperature doesn't hurt either!)

I have re-read the long thread on the Ruger here. Very good information.

Anyone have info on the Savage????

762 shooter
12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Ruger.

Just because.

Jack Stanley
12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I have one of the cheapo Stevens rifles that has surprised me with it's accuracy . It might be a coin toss for you but now I'm a believer in Savage accuracy , my Rugers have been less than stellar in that respect .

I did look over the Ruger scout rifle at a show recently . While it is nice , I think they missed the boat my not using M-14 type or other readily avaiable military magazines for it .

Jack

Larry Gibson
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Not sure about the 2 rifles selected but with cast bullet shooting in mind down the road I would make sure I got a .308W with a 12" twist. The 12" twist will also work very, very well with that LC Match ammo. Is it M118 white box, M118SB, M852 or M118LR?

Somebody really likes you BTW:)

Larry Gibson

lbaize3
12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I had a Savage Scout in 7-08 and it was light, handy, and accurate. Traded it off for some reason I can not remember. I now have a Ruger Gunsite Scout and really enjoy it. Bought two of the new ten round polymer magazines and they are excellent. The RGS is accurate and a joy to use.

The action on the Savage was very slick. The RGS is not as slick when it is new, but the more you use it, the slicker it becomes. All in all I view the RGS as a better rifle than the Savage in this particular case. I tend to favor the Savage in the Model 12 Long Range Varmint as one of the best on the market in terms of accuracy and value for the buck.

MGySgt
12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Larry - This is not White Box - it is Brown with the following on one side:

20 CTRG. 7.62MM
MATCH M882
NOT FOR COMBACT USE

It is headstamped - LC 93 MATCH

Drew

MGySgt
12-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Ibaize3 - I know the Savage rifles are accurate - a friend of mine and I both had 7MM mags - they would shoot - we bought them about 10 years ago - I gave my 7mm mag to my SIL. My hunting partner still had his when he went to the big hunting space in the sky.

Everything I read, seen and heard Savage got it right when they started making Rifles again.

The Savage Scout is about a pound lighter than the Ruger with a longer barrel (20in?).

I can find the Ruger Gun Site locally, but not the Savage Model 10 - YET. Still looking thought.

Drew

Larry Gibson
12-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Larry - This is not White Box - it is Brown with the following on one side:

20 CTRG. 7.62MM
MATCH M882
NOT FOR COMBACT USE

It is headstamped - LC 93 MATCH

Drew

That's pretty bad stuff.....you might as well just send it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly............:drinks:

Larry Gibson

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-14-2011, 07:02 PM
if you ever get to test drive a Savage with the accu-trigger, you will never buy anything else with accuracy as the primary goal.

I got six of them at last count, all good for 1/2" groups at 100yds; including the 7STW.

Rich

P.K.
12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
If you are still open to suggestions what about the Mossburg ATR? $452.00 in my zip. Take a look at Gun Genie. I reserved and bought off there before and you usually get a deal.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=26252&index=15&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=308&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

MGySgt
12-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Larry - I really appreciate the offer to take that bad ammo off my hands, but I will need the brass, so I might as well shoot it up at tin cans or rocks. :)

P.K. - I dismissed the Mossberg - 22 in barrel - looking for a short carbine. I did look at the Model 7's, they are nice rifles but no irons on them.

Both the Ruger and Savage have the military type front sight (dog ears on the side to protect the blade) and I am partial to them - can't understand why after 26 years in the Corps! :)

Idaho Sharpshooter - I really want to try that Accu-Trigger and it comes on the Savage Scout rifle - I just need to find one around here to see and feel it.

I am burning some vacation that I use or loose - so Friday is another gun shop day. There are a few down in Richmond I will visit to see if they have one of the Savages. I may have to drive out to Clark Brothers if I can't find it in Richmond.

Drew

P.K.
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
MGySgt: Gotcha, understood and heed a little guidence. Save the vacation time and use the gun genie. Enter your zip and it will find you a gun. If not in your area, enter your area and local gun guru and it will ship. You get it at cost or dang near it. I got a 6.8 SPC through it at $$$$ below MSRP. Try it out, I was skeptical at first too. Buuuuuuut I realllllly like it now!

MGySgt
12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
P.K. - It would work to use Gun Genie for the purchase - However I really want to touchy feely the Savage before I make my final decision.

PS - I need to use the vacation by Dec 31 or it just drops off the books - The Company I work for doesn't let us carry any over into the new year.

pistolman44
12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I own 3 Savage rifles, a SS 7MM WSM, FP10 .223 24" Hvy Brl and a .17 HMR Hvy Brl. They are super accurate out of the box. Sold my Remington BDL's and replaced them with Savage.

MSgtUSMC
12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
MGySgt - - Your mention of Clark Brothers brought back memories. While stationed at HQMC in '68-'72 I went there nearly every weekend to shoot at their range behind the shop. I was there a couple of days after one brother was killed when he used a torch too close to a keg of black powder.

phonejack
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
'93 was a good year for LC. 22 boxes was the contents of 1 can.I have 1 1/2 cans left and they happen to be '93 also. Lucky you.

MGySgt
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I let my fingers do the walking and used the old electonic device called a telephone (not cell phone).
Clark Brothers do not have a Savage either along with 5 other shops I called in a 75 mile radius. I think I am out of Gun Shops to try.

Bass Proshop - No
2 Gander Mountain's - No

Must be a conspirisy against me! :(

I may just go to Green Top tomorrow and buy the Ruger! Thought about ordering it - but by the time I pay shipping and transfer fee - it will be dollars from Green Tops price.

Of course with my luck - they will be sold out when I get there! :(

williamwaco
12-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Savage.

They are tack drivers.

August
12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I shoot with a bunch of Savage fanatics and they've infected me.

I'll tell you this: the Savage rifles are the best, out of the box rifles money can buy. If accuracy is the goal, no rifle made beats the factory rifles that Savage is building. Expect 1/2 moa out of the box!

1Shirt
12-17-2011, 11:24 AM
SAVAGE!
1Shirt!

MGySgt
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Well - no Ruger Scout - that rifle had been there awhile and they sold it before I got back to buy it.

Back to the same old question - Ruger or Savage?

I am going to wait until after the madness of the season to order one. I will probably change my mind about a dozen times before I actually order one! :)

W.R.Buchanan
12-19-2011, 04:48 PM
MGySgt: Read my posts on the RGS77 That's the Ruger Gunsite Carbine.

I have one and I highly recommend them as excellent generic guns.

Mine is consistantly delivering sub 1" groups from Recycled M80 bullets just like the ones you have.

I have primarily used this gun for shooting Long Range (500M) silhoutte and even though it is a 16.5" barreled carbine I am shooting with the guys that have dedicated silhoutte rifles in my club.

Believe me you can't go wrong with this gun. AND if you do decide you want to get rid of it you could sell it here in about 15 seconds.

I have recommended this gun to several of my friends who have bought them and everybody is very satisfied.

This is my .02 on this subject and I think it's actually worth more than .02 cuz I actually have one and use it frequently. There are others here that do as well, just do a search for Ruger Gunsite Carbine, or just go to the thread in this Factory Rifle section.

Randy

MGySgt
12-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Well - due to unforseen circumstances - I have to put this project on hold. When the time comes that I can pick up this project again I will bring this thread back to life.

Drew

12-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd go Savage just because the Ruger failed to use a standard M-14 mag. They could have, but chose to squeak as much profit as possible out of the project by mandating a proprietary mag. It's just my ornery side showing up. Besides, Savage's have a rep for accuracy.

BruceB
12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
I'd go Savage just because the Ruger failed to use a standard M-14 mag. They could have, but chose to squeak as much profit as possible out of the project by mandating a proprietary mag. It's just my ornery side showing up. Besides, Savage's have a rep for accuracy.

So, Ruger should have used "a standard M-14 mag"???

Have you SEEN some of the utter crapola that is sold as "M-14 mags"?

Chinese, Korean, and other third-world junk, as well as our own US-made junk, is passed off as "standard M-14 mags". I know, because I've seen them and even tried a few in my M1A. Fortunately they were owned by other shooters, not myself. They were garbage, and no mistake about it.

If I intended to market a new .308 rifle, the LAST magazine I'd want for it is a "standard M-14 mag". Why hang the success or failure of my new rifle on the abysmal quality of the junk sold as "M-14 mags"?

Ruger's steel 10-round magazine is NOT a "proprietary magazine". It is made by Accuracy International, whose quality is well known in service-rifle circles, as well as competitive-shooting groups.

In addition, Ruger is now marketing polymer mags in 3-, 5- and 10-round capacities. Early reports say the mags work well. Midway has all of them at $30 each....LESS than we'd pay for *GENUINE* US-made military M-14 magazines.

My wife and daughter gave me a left-handed Gunsite Scout this morning. I'll be getting some of those polymer mags for trials, and will report the results.

MGySgt
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Good for you Bruce - I will be looking forward to your reports on the Ruger Scout and the polymer mags.

I have been all over the grid on what to get - Ruger, Savage and I am even considering the Ruger No 1.

Lefties in the family that this rifle could be a starter hunting rifle in the next few years. With csst of course!

Drew

45 2.1
12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I'll tell you this: the Savage rifles are the best, out of the box rifles money can buy. If accuracy is the goal, no rifle made beats the factory rifles that Savage is building. Expect 1/2 moa out of the box!

You would probably be surprised by a Browning stainless stalker with the boss on it then. With handloads, multiply your range by three for the same group.

Ruger's steel 10-round magazine is NOT a "proprietary magazine". It is made by Accuracy International, whose quality is well known in service-rifle circles, as well as competitive-shooting groups.

In addition, Ruger is now marketing polymer mags in 3-, 5- and 10-round capacities. Early reports say the mags work well.

The AI magazine has some faults, as i'm sure you'll find. The Ruger 10 rnd. polymer is a joy to use. Good shooting, you'll like it.

Pat I.
12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
You would probably be surprised by a Browning stainless stalker with the boss on it then. With handloads, multiply your range by three for the same group.

Are you saying the Brownings are shooting 1/2 in groups at 300 yards? Hell that's sneaking into NBRSA national record territory. I'm surprised one of those BR shooters aren't sticking a Browning barreled action into a Kelbly LV stock mounting a Nightforce on it and cleaning everyone's clock. [smilie=1:

Uncle R.
12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Howdy Pat!
I know how you feel.
I bought & sold & tuned & tested for nigh onto forty years and while I own some mighty fine rifles that I like a lot I have exactly TWO that are reliable 1/2 minute rifles. I have a couple more that are reliable sub-minute rifles even if they won't consistently hold 1/2 minute. They are the apples of my eye and not for sale - it took a little doing to come up with the right stuff and I ain't so sure I could duplicate their results again.
<
It hurts my pride sometimes to read about so many out-of-the-box rifles that shoot as good or better than anything I own - but I realize that just means I'm a dinosaur and haven't kept up with the times.
<
Gee Pat - are you an old dinosaur like me? Don't feel bad - even if we can't put 'em all through the same hole I still like to see those targets with the holes all touching.
<Insert old-man style wheezing laughter here...>
Best regards:
Uncle R.

Whit Spurzon
12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Hard to go wrong with any of those rifles.

Personally I didn't like the Savage, mainly due to the stock. Yes it is lighter and practical but I didn't like the 'feel' of it. There are those that do. I was not impressed by its magazine or the cost of additional mags nor the capacity.

I really like the Ruger single shots. Great for hunting and at the range but less practical for me. Plus I'd probably want it in a caliber other than 308. Fine rifles but not one that is frequently grabbed.

The Ruger GSR got my attention right away and I've had it for about 11 months now. It has become the rifle that is out of the safe the most. It'll digest a variety of bullet shapes, weights and sizes and send them downrange accurately at both super and subsonic velocities. These virtues make it a very practical gun for me so it frequently accompanies me in the field and at the range. It has become my "ranch rifle" and serves very well in that role.

45 2.1
12-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Are you saying the Brownings are shooting 1/2 in groups at 300 yards? Hell that's sneaking into NBRSA national record territory. I'm surprised one of those BR shooters aren't sticking a Browning barreled action into Kelbly LV stock mounting Nightforce on it and cleaning everyone's clock. [smilie=1:

Not everyone is interested in benchrest............ Two individual owners rifles, match grade handloads, 6 shooters with Browning stainless stalkers with Boss in 308 Win................. shooting one after the other shot 3 shot 1/2" groups at 300 yards. I was one of the shooters as well as two other members here. None of us really care if you believe it or not........... your opinion doesn't change what happened. The owner of the rifle has shot 3.25" 1000 yard groups with a Browning 300 Win. Mag with a boss on it. He uses it for long range hunting. Quite a few people do things like this and don't feel the need to beat someone else.

Pat I.
12-27-2011, 08:05 AM
6 shooters with Browning stainless stalkers with Boss in 308 Win................. shooting one after the other shot 3 shot 1/2" groups at 300 yards.

Ya think that's something. I had my nieces Girl Scout troop out at the range shooting Do-Si-Dos out of the air at 500 yards with my .585 Nyati and there was nary a miss.......... and I don't care if you believe it or not. While six different guys shooting two different rifles were able to shoot 1/2 in. three shot groups at 300 yds one after the next isn't bad I think if you work at it and use the correct methodology you could easily cut that number in half. Heck, my grandma can shoot 1/2 inch five shot groups at 300 using wadcutters and two grains of Bullseye in her Mdl. 60.......... and she uses a walker. :-P

"Not everyone is interested in benchrest"

Ya mean you were shooting those 1/2 inch 300 yard groups offhand????

45 2.1
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Ya think that's something. I had my nieces Girl Scout troop out at the range shooting Do-Si-Dos out of the air at 500 yards with my .585 Nyati and there was nary a miss.......... and I don't care if you believe it or not. While six different guys shooting two different rifles were able to shoot 1/2 in. three shot groups at 300 yds one after the next isn't bad I think if you work at it and use the correct methodology you could easily cut that number in half. Heck, my grandma can shoot 1/2 inch five shot groups at 300 using wadcutters and two grains of Bullseye in her Mdl. 60.......... and she uses a walker. :-P

"Not everyone is interested in benchrest"

Ya mean you were shooting those 1/2 inch 300 yard groups offhand????

My my, what a virulent post. Since your an officer of "The Cast Bullet Association", specifically Director of Region 4, that post really makes people want to join the Association / or contact you. All the 308 groups I mentioned were with jacketed match handmade bullets, just so you know. It would be better for them if you stepped down from your position or cleaned up your act.

Pat I.
12-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Does that mean you don't believe me? I guess neither I, Girl Scout Troop #60068, or my sweet old Grandma really care if you believe me or not.............your opinion doesn't change anything. Work on your methodology and shooting skills and maybe you could do the same thing. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean the little brown skirted troopers and my granny can't.

Don't understand what my affiliation to the CBA has to do with my posts or my posting here. There's plenty of guys posting on both forums and I just don't see a problem. Did you ever consider the possibility that maybe the real problem is looking back at you in the morning when you're shaving?

felix
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
At my age I find it more relaxing just to increase the size of the target and/or decrease the target range. It is not nearly as exhilarating as shooting competitive groups, but then tuning a gun and its ammo demands extreme fortitude not conducive to old farts. So, Drew, what is your temperament these days? ... felix

Pat I.
12-27-2011, 01:08 PM
My Granny's an old fart but that doesn't stop her from shooting those 300 yard 1/2 inch groups from that Model 60 of hers. And I forgot to mention that along with the walker she's cross eye. I say cross eye because the other one's glass.

She's got some super secret loading technique she won't share with anyone else because of the extreme dangers involved.

1Shirt
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Right on Felix!
1Shirt!:coffee:

45 2.1
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Don't understand what my affiliation to the CBA has to do with my posts or my posting here. There's plenty of guys posting on both forums and I just don't see a problem.

Of course you don't..................... :mrgreen: I don't quite agree with Felix on these things yet, but the current banter doesn't help things much either. Perhaps if you were to actually help out and contribute something positive (like your idea of a really accurate production rifle that most here could afford)?

Pat I.
12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Perhaps if you were to actually help out and contribute something positive (like your idea of a really accurate production rifle that most here could afford)?

Savage.

Larry Gibson
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
........but the current banter doesn't help things much either. Perhaps if you were to actually help out and contribute something positive (like your idea of a really accurate production rifle that most here could afford)?

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

I have no idea what's wrong with Pat I or the boys over at the CBA......obviously they don't know how to shoot cast bullets accurately. Neither do I....obviously....as I can't shoot them 1/2" groups (even 3 shot ones) at 300 yards either:cry:.......I am getting real good at sub 1/2" groups though. Just one shot out of any thing less than a .50 cal is all it takes[smilie=l: for me anyway.......

Would have been real nice and thoughtful of 45 2.1 to have gotten a few pictures of those groups, rifles and smiling faces to show all us "grasshopers" here how it's done.......

Larry Gibson

45 2.1
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
........but the current banter doesn't help things much either. Perhaps if you were to actually help out and contribute something positive (like your idea of a really accurate production rifle that most here could afford)?

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

I have no idea what's wrong with Pat I or the boys over at the CBA......obviously they don't know how to shoot cast bullets accurately. Neither do I....obviously....as I can't shoot them 1/2" groups (even 3 shot ones) at 300 yards either:cry:.......I am getting real good at sub 1/2" groups though. Just one shot out of any thing less than a .50 cal is all it takes[smilie=l: for me anyway.......

Would have been real nice and thoughtful of 45 2.1 to have gotten a few pictures of those groups, rifles and smiling faces to show all us "grasshopers" here how it's done.......

Larry Gibson

Another clueless individual.......... Someone else's rifle (two actually) and jacketed handloads (Missed that huh )........ I know they wouldn't want pictures of themselves on the web either (they've read this site and refuse to get on it). I guess you just want to argue and be off thread with anything I say. One item your right about though........... you don't need to know how they did it. Other locals have done the same with a Savage LE 308 also. I figure if they can do it, you should be able to also. Nothing special about that. Now..... see if your up to the challenge and try it yourself with your methods to see if your better OR WORSE than they are.

Pat I.
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
another clueless individual..........

HEY!!! WHO'S THE OTHER ONE???????? [smilie=l:

Larry Gibson
12-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Hard to miss "jacketed handloads" when it wasn't there. You stated; "Two individual owners rifles, match grade handloads, 6 shooters with Browning stainless stalkers with Boss in 308 Win................. shooting one after the other shot 3 shot 1/2" groups at 300 yards."

Sorry but I don't see "jacketed handloads" in there. I also checked your other post in this thread and didn't see it but it's not to say it isn't in there somewhere. Maybe that's why I don't shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yards (that is 1/6th or .166 moa).......I don't see so good, eh:( ANd WOW "other locals[/I"] have done better[smilie=w: We must have all the "yocals" out here while you got the "[I]locals":cry: That sure is some mighty fine shooting ya'll are doin at 300 yards.....perhaps Pat I is right, "that's sneaking into NBRSA national record territory. I'm surprised one of those BR shooters aren't sticking a Browning barreled action into a Kelbly LV stock mounting a Nightforce on it and cleaning everyone's clock."

But it's all my bad.....there I thought you were talking about cast bullets and apparently you don't load any "match grade handloads"....cast ones anyways........:mrgreen:

Larry Gibson

45 2.1
12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry but I don't see "jacketed handloads" in there. I also checked your other post in this thread and didn't see it but it's not to say it isn't in there somewhere. Perhaps you should get someone (maybe your wife) to read post #33 to you. You will note there isn't an edit date on it also. Your the guy who always blames someone for not reading what you wrote...and now your doing the same thing. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Who would've thought. Maybe that's why I don't shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yards (that is 1/6th or .166 moa).......I don't see so good, eh.

But it's all my bad.....there I thought you were talking about cast bullets and apparently you don't load any "match grade handloads"....cast ones anyways........Larry Gibson

I do......... but talking about it here is a dead end.

swheeler
12-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I have snatched the pebble from masters hand, walked on the rice paper without a ruffle and fired many one hole groups at 300 yds. :) I did take pictures but cannot post them here, some of my secret techniques were noted in the margin, don't want any copy cats!

swheeler
12-27-2011, 08:16 PM
LG your PM's are full:) busy-busy

onceabull
12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
There is a rumor that one of those super accurate Browning 308's referred to earlier on this thread belongs to Joe "Starmetal"... Onceabull

swheeler
12-27-2011, 11:41 PM
There is a rumor that one of those super accurate Browning 308's referred to earlier on this thread belongs to Joe "Starmetal"... Onceabull

Exactamundo, you read my mind!:groner:

Larry Gibson
12-27-2011, 11:42 PM
45 2.1

My apologies.....so you did mention "jacketed".....I just missed it as it wasn't in the original claim.......how silly of me not to wait for an expalnation.......even so I am quite impressed. After all, 6 different shooters with factory rifle all shooting .166 moa at 300 yards! How is it we don't see Browning Stalkers with Bosses setting bench rest records, winning HP matches or winning at Camp Perry? I guess all those real match shooters just haven't learned anything from the "master".....grasshoppers all............

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
12-27-2011, 11:45 PM
LG your PM's are full:) busy-busy

Isn't that the truth......inbox has room now;)

Larry Gibson

Uncle R.
12-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Oh wow - Let me do the math here....
Three gazinta point five and carry the two over the fence and...
<
Holy sheepskin! That IS .166 MOA.
<
And I was all proud of myself when I got a heavy varmint rifle to put 5 shots into the point three-something range several times in a row on a calm day.
<
I admit it - I confess those groups did make me proud and happy too. Well, as the good book says "Pride goeth before a fall" and as that wise man Gordon MacQuarrie would sometimes add "And after the fall comes a long, hard winter."
<
Dang.
This is a humbling place, but it sure can be educational. I'm determined to study, to remain alert, to keep the mind-set of a student, and to learn as much as I can.
<
Heck - I'm learning a few things this evening.
<
Uncle R.

onceabull
12-28-2011, 01:34 AM
GunBroker # 266055493 ----------------- Hurry,B-4 you get left behind !!!!! Even without that proven indispensable "boss", you might be good for 7th,or 8th place, and 5/8-3/4" 3 shot groups there in Kay-roo country..... Onceabull

gandydancer
12-28-2011, 02:04 AM
I am with Idaho sharpshooter go with the savage I to have six of the savage rifles 2 of them are 308 a FTR 30"bbl and a model 10 preditor 22" and they both shoot much better then I can. I shot 6 deer this year. 4 with the model 10 308 and 2 with the model 10 max in 6.5 creedmoore of the 6 one ran about 10 yards. my buddy got the ruger 77 in 6.5 creedmoore 26" bbl had to have it bedded and a trigger job to get it to shoot right and my savage still shoots better right out of the box. I have a savage in 22 mag--17 HMR 250/3000--300 savage & 204 ruger. OH THAT'S 8. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH A SAVAGE. Plus if you have any trouble with one of their rifles they will send you a mailer so you can ship it back on their dime. That's Savage.

waksupi
12-28-2011, 02:44 AM
It may interest some of you Savage owners, that 4D Reamer Rentals LTD., in Kalispell, Mt. has a 358 Savage Pre-fit barrel, 1-14 twist, Stainless, 26", small shank, #Savage magnum taper. They also have other barrels, lots of reamers for rent, and other fun toys.

http://4-dproducts.com/

Buckshot
12-28-2011, 03:43 AM
..............I used to not care particularly for Savages due to the barrel nut. Heck, it was 'different', and didn't look right. But I got over it in 1992. I was tired of shooting my 1973 vintage Ruger M77 Round Top 30-'06 with Speer 130gr HP's @ 3175 fps to explode jack rabbits along the All American Canal. I treated myself to a Savage M112 in 223. Yup, long action as that's all they made back then after their re-organization. Paid $295 (I had a FFL then) and also a $95 Tasco 6-24 x 44 scope, all from Bill Hicks. Due to my work schedule I was able to go to the range twice a week, and I did so working up a load to settle on. One load for one purpose. I'll admit right here that I'm not the equal of the rifle's capability as I simply could not keep my heart from beating:drinks:

I did find the load I wanted. It's 28.0grs of Win 748 under the Sierra #1400, 53gr HP match bullet. The rifle is a true 5 shot 1/2" rifle any time, any day but I have shot groups in the 2's & 3's, and more commonly the 4's. But the smaller groups not consistently enough simply because of me. Anyway, I took a likeing then to Savages. However, having said FFL and it being the 2nd coming so far as the importation of milsurps I was availing myself of those monthly[smilie=1:

Now advance about 17 years and I felt the burning need for a high power rifle to dink with. Maybe I watched the movie "Shooter" too often or something? No question as to what to get, and it was a Savage M10-FP chambered 308. Totally out of character for me. I own over 80 rifles but this was the first modern centerfire I'd ever bought (the Ruger was a gift from my wife). Add in to that that with all those rifles I only owned 5 scopes and 3 are on rimfires! I amazed myself by actually paying half again as much for a scope for the new Savage then the rifle cost. Back in the late 80's and 90's I never would have, figuring I could buy 12 nice milsurps for that kind of money:grin:

When I picked up the rifle I was sorely disappointed in the looks and feel of the bore when pushing a dry patch through it. The bore in the 26" bull barrel of my M112 gleamed as if chromed, and a dry patch would slide through like a greased marshmellow. I never even shot it, nor did I call Savage. I boxed it up and sent it along with a letter to Savage. I got an e-mail saying they gotten it, and 2 weeks later the rifle was back.

http://www.fototime.com/B30B1DA91688D67/standard.jpg

Included was this target and a sheet listing what they'd done. All they did was to replace the barrel. Perhaps the barrel that was on it would have shot as well? The 3 shot group was at 100 yards and they'd used Federal 168gr Match factory ammo. I'm certainly happy with it :-)

..............Buckshot

swheeler
12-28-2011, 09:03 PM
..............I used to not care particularly for Savages due to the barrel nut. Heck, it was 'different', and didn't look right. But I got over it in 1992. I was tired of shooting my 1973 vintage Ruger M77 Round Top 30-'06 with Speer 130gr HP's @ 3175 fps to explode jack rabbits along the All American Canal. I treated myself to a Savage M112 in 223. Yup, long action as that's all they made back then after their re-organization. Paid $295 (I had a FFL then) and also a $95 Tasco 6-24 x 44 scope, all from Bill Hicks. Due to my work schedule I was able to go to the range twice a week, and I did so working up a load to settle on. One load for one purpose. I'll admit right here that I'm not the equal of the rifle's capability as I simply could not keep my heart from beating:drinks:

I did find the load I wanted. It's 28.0grs of Win 748 under the Sierra #1400, 53gr HP match bullet. The rifle is a true 5 shot 1/2" rifle any time, any day but I have shot groups in the 2's & 3's, and more commonly the 4's. But the smaller groups not consistently enough simply because of me. Anyway, I took a likeing then to Savages. However, having said FFL and it being the 2nd coming so far as the importation of milsurps I was availing myself of those monthly[smilie=1:

Now advance about 17 years and I felt the burning need for a high power rifle to dink with. Maybe I watched the movie "Shooter" too often or something? No question as to what to get, and it was a Savage M10-FP chambered 308. Totally out of character for me. I own over 80 rifles but this was the first modern centerfire I'd ever bought (the Ruger was a gift from my wife). Add in to that that with all those rifles I only owned 5 scopes and 3 are on rimfires! I amazed myself by actually paying half again as much for a scope for the new Savage then the rifle cost. Back in the late 80's and 90's I never would have, figuring I could buy 12 nice milsurps for that kind of money:grin:

When I picked up the rifle I was sorely disappointed in the looks and feel of the bore when pushing a dry patch through it. The bore in the 26" bull barrel of my M112 gleamed as if chromed, and a dry patch would slide through like a greased marshmellow. I never even shot it, nor did I call Savage. I boxed it up and sent it along with a letter to Savage. I got an e-mail saying they gotten it, and 2 weeks later the rifle was back.

http://www.fototime.com/B30B1DA91688D67/standard.jpg

Included was this target and a sheet listing what they'd done. All they did was to replace the barrel. Perhaps the barrel that was on it would have shot as well? The 3 shot group was at 100 yards and they'd used Federal 168gr Match factory ammo. I'm certainly happy with it :-)..............Buckshot

Well not as good as those famous Browning A bolts with the boss, but pretty darned good, I'd be happy with it too.:)

gandydancer
12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
O Wow. Cool. I like brownies to with walnuts YUM YUM. oh oh you mean rifles?? Kind sir. I will put my savage rifle model 10 or the FTR 308's up against a Browning anyday and not in my hands but my sons and out shoot it. not trying to bust your wallies its just how I feel about savage arms. GD

some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth! I was born with a foot in mine.

I also like a browning rifle or shotgun. I have a 20 gauge O/U stright stock I have used for over 20 years.

swheeler
12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
O Wow. Cool. I like brownies to with walnuts YUM YUM. oh oh you mean rifles?? Kind sir. I will put my savage rifle model 10 or the FTR 308's up against a Browning anyday and not in my hands but my sons and out shoot it. not trying to bust your wallies its just how I feel about savage arms. GD

Maybe read the thread from the begining, a little tongue-in-cheek[smilie=l:

MGySgt
12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
At my age I find it more relaxing just to increase the size of the target and/or decrease the target range. It is not nearly as exhilarating as shooting competitive groups, but then tuning a gun and its ammo demands extreme fortitude not conducive to old farts. So, Drew, what is your temperament these days? ... felix

Felix - I am still undecided on the Ruger GS, Savage or the No 1. The requiments have not changed:

Short and handy

GOOD iron sights (Yea, I know the No 1 doesn't have a good rear sight - at least for my eyes but that can be changed to a peep/receiver sight in the rear scope base.)

308 W. caliber.

Be able to cut the stock down to fit and replace the stock or add pieces back as necessary as the childern grow.

Why 308W? Read my first post on this thread.

The intended use of the rifle is to train my grand childern shooting - to include the ever vanishing use of iron sights.

A 22 could be used - but this rifle will also be used for deer hunting with Cast or Jacketed.

There are other rifles out there that can do the job, but for good iron sights a lot has to be done to them.

All 3 of the rifles I have chosen with do MOD (Minute of Deer) with any factory load off the shelf and still shoot well with Cast for practice, plinking or hunting.

Drew

MGySgt
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
We have been all over the map on this one - Keep them coming!

Pat I.
12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Like Buckshot my first foray into Savage riflles was with a M112 long action varmint rig in 223. They were dirt cheap, and looked it with that skinny plastic stock and long action, but shot like a house afire. After shooting the first one I ran back and bought another one in 223 and one in 22/250. All shot great. I was strictly a Ruger man before that but after trying the Savages I was hooked and sold all my Rugers. I doubt for the money you could buy a more accurate rifle than a Savage. They all seem to shoot well which is something I can't say for the Rugers.

I'll be the first to admit that for curb appeal they leave a lot to be desired. The Ruger GSR blows the Savage out of the water on sex appeal but I'd bet the Savage would leave the Ruger behind where it counts. The Savage is a little lighter, has 3 1/2 more inches of barrel, is probably going to cost you at least 100 or 150 bucks less than either Ruger, and will probably have a better chance of being a nice shooting rifle right out of the box. The Rugers looks one hell of a lot better, the GSR has the ten shot capacity which I don't think would be very practical for young kids or off the bench, looks one hell of a lot better (yeah I know I already said that but it bears repeating), and will have Rugers excellent customer service behind it.

I'm sure you'd be completely happy with any of the three you're looking at but if I was in the same predicament I'd probably go for the rifle I felt had the most chance of shooting the best and not the one I'd like to fondle the most. Do have to admit though that it'd be hard to pass on that GSR. To my eyes that's one sharp looking rifle.

W.R.Buchanan
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Drew:

If you are planning to use this gun for training the RGS77 is definately the one. I would start them with a single shot bolt action .22 but as soon as they show some ability I would convert to the .308 with light loads so they can progressively learn to deal with recoil. This gun is a creampuff to shoot even with hot loads as the stock design and recoil pad are excellent, still you will start them on mild cast boolit handloads and work up from there to hunting loads.

But First: The stock is adjustable. The iron sights are great, and there are 2 completely different ways to mount just about any scope you could want.

Second: You can load the .308 up or down to whatever level you feel comfortable with. True for others as well, but this gun actually shoots many loads well, however others don't have 3,5, and 10 round magazines available which vastly increases versitility.

Third: The gun will be ideally suitable for as many purposes as you can think of,,, Basic rifle training, tactical training, home defense, varmint hunting, big game hunting, and you bet,,, this is definately the gun you would take on a sheep hunt , where you had to go far afield. If you could only have one this one would be a damn good choice.

And Fourth: They are readily available at all of the big chain Sporting Goods stores, and the major distributors have plenty in stock too. So you can get one from your local dealer, and if he can't get one come back and I'll give you links to ones that can.

If you go to the Ruger Gunsite Carbine thread right below this you can read in depth about all of the positive aspects of this gun from several guys including me who actually have one and shoot it alot.. I have been keeping that thread alive for 5 months with my monthly Silhoutte Shoot reports, others have been successful hunting with them, and one guy also shoots tactical matches with his..

EVERYBODY who actually owns one, loves it and shoots it alot. They are just that good!

I hope this post pushes you over the edge and you go get one of these guns and start shooting, rather than worrying whether or not you are making the right choice!

This gun is the right choice! and if you really don't like it after you get it, you can resell it here in about 15 seconds. You can't possibly go wrong here!

Now go!

Randy

nanuk
12-30-2011, 07:58 PM
I recently bought a Rossi Youth model break action in 308W.

after sighting in, the gunstore attendant GUARANTEED a one shot 0.350 hole, or LESS in the target at 100 yds, or he'd give me my money back.

He even stated that He'd be surprised if I didn't get the same 0.350 or LESS hole at 200 yds.

He wasn't ready to put any money guarantee on 300 yds though.

perhaps if I got his Boss, I could get my guarantee

Pat I.
12-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I've heard those Rossi rifles were really accurate. I'd bet that if you got yourself a big enough target so it really showed up out there a one shot 0.350 hole at 300 wouldn't be a problem at all. In fact I'd be willing to bet you could shave another 40 or so thousandths off that without trying too hard. I've heard about and shot with Canadian shooters and I think if you went and bought one box of bullet and used a big enough target in no time flat you could have 20 other guys accomplishing the same feat one right after the next. From what I've seen and heard that's how good those Rossi rifles and Canadian shooters shoot. Go together like bacon and eggs those two.

MGySgt
12-30-2011, 11:45 PM
:)

We are still restricting this to the Ruger Scout, Savage Scout or the Ruger No 1 and the only caliber is 308 W.

Keep them coming!

Drew

Buckshot
12-31-2011, 05:37 AM
:)

We are still restricting this to the Ruger Scout, Savage Scout or the Ruger No 1 and the only caliber is 308 W.

Keep them coming!

Drew

..............Well Drew, at least no one has brought up tractors or their daddy's ole pickup yet :-)

..............Buckshot

MGySgt
12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
:) :) :)

MGySgt
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Another Gun Show this weekend. Will see what they have.

I have dropped the Runger #1 out of the equation. Too expensive to cut that stock down and replace it in the future.

I might add TC Encore barrel in 308 W. It will not replace the Ruger Gun Site or Savage. I already have an Encore in 45/70 - but I don't shoot it much. It doesn't like heavy boolites!

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Well done on teh ammo. Back in 2006 one of my mates who is a corporal in teh Reserves volunteered for a tour of Afghanastan. He saw me at work one day and said 'can you drop around tonight, I have some 308 ammo you can have. My rifle is going into storage, but they won't allow the ammo.' I was expecting a few boxes, but he went to his shed out back of his house and cane out with an unopened case of 1000 F4 Nato ammo. It is Indonesan made and is excellent stuff (Berdan primed, but I have lots of 308 brass). It shoots every bit as well as some Aussie F4 ammo I had. :) :) :)

Another mate has a Ruger Scout, he is very happy with it and from what I saw, shot pretty well.

MGySgt
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Well - I finally was able to find another Ruger GS Scout - it came home with me today. $868 out the door from a Gun Show.

Haven't shot it yet, brought it home. I am giving it a through cleaning first, I will mount a scope, normal place, tonight and shoot it tomorrow.

Need to find some blind screws when I take the rail off.

lead chucker
03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
I have a ruger compact in 308 and love it it's light real compact I believe it has a 16.5 inch barrel I loose a little velocity with it but not enough to make any real difference. It's very accurate. It kicks a liitle with the heavy bullets but I don't mind, it jest let's me know it's there.

ebner glocken
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's my .308s, all are accurate enough. Oddly enough the next to cheapest is by far the most accurate for me.

Yes, that's a savage striker (by far the tighest chamber and most accurate). One a good day I can keep them on a skoal can at 300 yards. On a bad day, not so much.

The M1A is much fun.

The AR is a DPMS LR308. Surprisingly accurate for a 16" bbl.

The SMLE was too cheap to pass up. It won't win you a match but I wouldn't want to be shot at with it.

Ebner

MT Chambers
03-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Well 1/2" at 300 yds. is pretty good, up here it's too cold to shoot like that, here it's the shooters that are jacketed....the OP is falling back to re-group and will have a chance to clear his mind, give himself a shake, and he'll realize that he needs a Rem. 700HB.

ebner glocken
03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
A half inch at 300 yards I would be doing cartwheels (both are as likely to occur). A skoal can is 2 3/4". With the striker when conditions are right, yes. It did surprise me when this happend with some degree of regularity. This tells me the pistol is capable of it. It is the operator that has bad days.

Ebner

MGySgt
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
the OP is falling back to re-group and will have a chance to clear his mind, give himself a shake, and he'll realize that he needs a Rem. 700HB.

Nope - Regrouped and bought the Ruger GS Scout.

It fits the bill for what I wanted. Short rifle with good iron sights that I can shorted the stock for the grand kids to shoot cast and start hunting with.

The only thing that keeps it from shooting sub inch for a 5 round group is the shooter - I always seem to be able to throw one out of the group :(

tenx
04-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Seems Savage's track record for accuracy is above average, I've had exceptional luck with Savage rifles. After all isn't accuracy the main reason we like to shoot?