PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Sights on a Levergun

chickenstripe
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I remember seeing a picture of a reflex sight, or an electronic sight installed in the rear dovetail of a levergun......

Anyone recall this, and does anyone have a picture of the setup, and details on the sight and installation?

fecmech
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I believe it was something that was done at Steves Guns but I can't find the item on his site. It was probably a J Point sight on one of the pistol bases that has a 3/8" dovetail. If no one comes up with anything I would research auto pistol dovetails and then see if a J Point mount or Weigand mount was available for that pistol. That would then work on a lever gun.

Four Fingers of Death
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Duke Nukem over at Lever Action Shooters Society mounted a couple of small red dot sights on a few astoundingly beautiful classic levers because he couldn't use the rifles any longer with open or peep sights due to failing eyesight. It wasn't kosher, but looked better than I thought it would as the unti was small and unobtrusive. better than not being able to shoot the rifles anyway.

btroj
12-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I used a red dot on my Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt for hog hunting. Worked pretty darn slick!

robertbank
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I would put one on my two Pumas if I could find a dovetail fitting mount. Why struggle with peep sights if you don't have to. Open sights are a thing of the past for my eyes and peeps are better but not as good as a red dot.

Take Care

Bob

felix
12-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Several years ago I shot a RedDotted FN 308 full military auto. I was very pleasantly surprised at its target acquisition capabilities and reasonable recoil for next-shot recovery. Needless to say, all charging beer cans within 150 yards were completely destroyed or lost in the weeds. However, the gun itself was a little much for the job, but fun for a once-in-a -lifetime-shoot for me. A perfect sight for a short lever gun. ... felix

bobthenailer
12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I have 3 rifles with a red dot scopes on them ! a 22 rem bolt & a 10/22 ruger and a marlin 357 mag leaver . I personaly like them alot on rifles & handguns, as i also cant see the iron sights any more. and IMO they are equal to or better than low power scopes in most situations.
AS far as price of red dots, i have them from 35 to 500 dollars depends on the application as to how much i spend on them, but the brand i have most of is aimpoint as well tasco , redfield , burris , trijucon , pride fowler , ultradot .

JJC
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
The Burris fast fire? It's in Rifles The Legacy of Lever Guns vol 2 winter 2009. It may also be in a write up somewhere else in Rifle or Handloader magazine. The mount was made by Doug Turnbull

Four Fingers of Death
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I would put one on my two Pumas if I could find a dovetail fitting mount. Why struggle with peep sights if you don't have to. Open sights are a thing of the past for my eyes and peeps are better but not as good as a red dot.

Take Care

Bob

Hollowpoint is a poster here and is currently experimenting with a scout scope mount for 92s. The red dot would work well mounted forward. Fire a PM off to him if you are interested.

winelover
12-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Not only are the red dots great for old eyes, they are the Cats' Meow for low light hunting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_91704ee9ee122b6cf.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3022)

Marlins are easy with the AO ( XS systems) rail. Allows for multiple options. Pictured is a Trijicon Reflex. Remove sight and peep can be used as back up. I also have a low power variable in detachable rings for longer work and or load development.

The Redhawk sports a Armson / Trijicon OEG in Kimber detachable rings on a custom mount that is low enough for use of the opens sights, if so desired. A second set of Kimber rings has a 2 X 7 variable mounted in them.

Yes, I am an Optics Junky![smilie=w:

Winelover

robertbank
12-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Hollowpoint is a poster here and is currently experimenting with a scout scope mount for 92s. The red dot would work well mounted forward. Fire a PM off to him if you are interested.

Thanks for the heads up. I am on it.

Merry Christmas my friend. We have about 20" of snow on the ground. If I hear "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" on the radio one more time I swear I'll choke the station manager first time I get a chance. :p

Take Care

Bob

fecmech
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
If I hear "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" on the radio one more time I swear I'll choke the station manager first time I get a chance.
Come on now Bob, where you live you should be "just settling down for your long winter nap".:smile::kidding:

robertbank
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Come on now Bob, where you live you should be "just settling down for your long winter nap".:smile::kidding:

Isn't that the truth. When my relatives left New York back in 1780's they should have went South. I know air conditioning wasn't around then but they could have been folks of vision.

Take Care

Bob

Jailer
12-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I played around with this cheap Primary Arms aim point micro clone to see if I would like it. It worked great..for 6 shots and then it lost zero. I didn't think it would hold up to the recoil of the 45-70 and I was right.

A pic before I went out shooting.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/TacticalMarlin.jpg

I did email Aimpoint and asked them if the Micro H-1 would handle the recoil of a 45-70. Their response, "it will more than handle the recoil" and they would replace it under warranty if it didn't.