PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube a Matic-2

REDBARON
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I am considering switching from the Lee method (tumble-dip,etc) of lubing to the RCBS lube/matic. Allow me to state the Lee mehod has brought great results-excellent accuracy. The problem is the mess in my reloading shop. Are those of you out there, who are ACTUALLY using the RCBS, satisfied with it? Thanks.

beagle
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I have a RCBS and several Lyman 450s acquired in trades over the years. I find the Lymans just a bit more user friendly than the RCBS but it's not worth arguing about. Both will do the job nicely and RCBS has more user friendly repair support in case of a part breakage. You're looking at a good machine./beagle

RobS
12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
The lubricator is not really that messy and the Lube-a-matic 2 doesn't have the plug in the bottom of the base to leak lube from like the first series lubricators. I switched from tumble lubing and haven't looked back. The big thing I learned is softer lubes tend to work better in multiple applications i.e. low pressure rounds like 45 auto/38 special and if you have a quality soft lube then it'll work even at higher end pressure rounds such as in my 454 Casull rounds or my 375 H&H.

ku4hx
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I've used both Lyman and RCBS devices and find them roughly comparable in all respects. Both do exactly as advertised one boolit at a time.

As to the Lee tumble method being messy I moved to it because it was more convenient than either of the handle-operated machines. I half fill a strong gallon freezer bag with boolits, pour in the requisite amount of thinned LLA, seal the bag and roll the whole thing around on a heavy folded towel for a minute or so. Then pour the lubed boolits out onto one of several sheets of heavy cardboard to dry. That whole process takes maybe five minutes per bag.

Following that I size if needed, relube if needed and usually dust the dried boolits in Motor Mica. The actual time invested in lubing and dusting a half gallon of boolits is approximately ten minutes. Not counting drying time of course. Sizing time isn't considered since either way takes roughly the same amount of time for me ... working a handle is working a handle. Maybe a tad quicker for the Lee push through.

One day I may split a freezer bag and get a little lube on the old towel but I have no mess and the bags I buy are pretty tough. Each lasts, oh, half dozen rolling sessions. Maybe more, but I don't push it.

22Short
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
The Lube-a-Matic is a great piece of equipment. A Star would be even better. The Star let's you control what section if the boolet gets the lube and avoid the end of a tapered base. If you are like me and building quality ammo is a hobby unto itself a lube sizer is a great addition to your equipment! Don't forget you need not just the sizer, but also the die and top punch. And then there is the lube itself... :)

Echo
12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I have a couple of Lachmiller's (predecesser of the LAM), one for hard loob, the other for NRA, and have no complaints.

94Doug
12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
You might consider a "rock-dock" thingie from Pat Marlin, might clean up the bench a bit....I have a LAMII and several 45 Lymans. No complaints other than the silly lube handle. Others have made upgrades, or look for a LAMI.

Doug

sqlbullet
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I have a lachmiller lube-a-matic, which is the same thing. RCBS bought Lachmiller, and all the parts are interchangeable. Mine might be more RCBS now than lachmiller in part count.

I use felix lube, or a felix + some paraffin, but in general a lube that is not hard enough to need a heater to flow. I have not found the mess to be hugely less than tumble lubing, just different. My hands are still sticky when I am done, as is my work area. I always put down paper from my big roll before I start, so I just toss it.

I also don't find it to be faster, and may actually be a little slower, though I haven't timed it.

I got the Lachmiller for free. If I were going to spend my hard earned money on a lubrasizer, I would save my pennies and get a Star/Magma engineering sizer.

REDBARON
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks to all who responded. As always, great members and forum. I have gleaned much good information from this venue. Again.. much appreciated.

trixter
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a 450 and have been using it for my boolits, cast for my 45ACP. It works good, but the boolits cling to each other in the box I store them. I also have a Star that needs some parts before I can use it. I just acquired the Lee system and want to try it as it looks to be much quicker. I am not quite to sure about the messiness of it but I guess I will find out.

gwpercle
12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
trixter
the cling is just the lube in the lube groove touching the one next to it. If this is a problem dust the lubed bullets with Motor Mica or try a bit harder lube. Really soft lubes tend to be tacky and to stick to each other. You can also chill them in refridgerator and they will seperate easily. I use a lube/sizer because I don't like the looks of tumble lubed boolits. Not saying it doesn't work- it does. Just like shiney silver boolits. Tumble lube boolits cling too.