PDA

View Full Version : problem with lee 6 cav.

Little Doc
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
i have two new lee 6 cavity moulds. each have the same problem. that is when up to casting temperature the alignment pins and bushings will migrate out of the alum blocks. one even fell out of the mould. i contacted lee about this and they sent me new pins and bushings. after changing them and using the mould the same thing occured. red locktight was suggested this did not work either.
My Question, before i do this has anyone used this method or do you have a better suggestion.
take the pins and bushings out. drill and tap the end of the block so a set screw can be used to lock the pin or bushing into place.
your thoughts, thanks,
little doc:castmine:

MtGun44
02-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Green locktite is for large gaps and permanent fitting, may work
better than red. The issue is the temperature degradation.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
i have two new lee 6 cavity moulds. each have the same problem. that is when up to casting temperature the alignment pins and bushings will migrate out of the alum blocks. one even fell out of the mould. i contacted lee about this and they sent me new pins and bushings. after changing them and using the mould the same thing occured. red locktight was suggested this did not work either.
My Question, before i do this has anyone used this method or do you have a better suggestion.
take the pins and bushings out. drill and tap the end of the block so a set screw can be used to lock the pin or bushing into place.
your thoughts, thanks,
little doc:castmine:

I would try Loctites' Stud and Bearing Mount.
It's worked for me on some large bearings that get hot.
Don't know 'bout casting tempature's though.

Jon K
02-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Little Doc,

Green Loctite is stud & bearing mount. Herein lies the problem, ALL Loctite products, can be removed or will fail @400 degrees F. I would be prone to use the locking set screw method, as most tend to run the Lee molds @800+.

Jon

Little Doc
02-25-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks folks,,
i will give the set screws a whirl tomorrow.
little doc.:castmine: :Fire:

imashooter2
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
A couple dimples with a center punch will displace metal into the holes and provide enough friction to hold the pins.

nighthunter
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
The proper product is Loctite #620. It is a high temperature retaining sealent. I have used it to fix several Lee allignment pin problems.
Nighthunter