PDA

View Full Version : Lyman accuracy?

MaxJon
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
HI all! I have asked this question in another post, but thought I better start a thread for better response. I would like to know what accuracy results people are getting with the Lyman BP rifles.? Like the Deerstalker and Great plains hunter rifles, patched balls or plains bullets? Are they capable of MOA accuracy?
Thanks in advance!
BB03

wgr
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
my gpr i n 54 cal. flintlock. will shoot into 3in. all day wiith a patch round ball. 80 grains 2f goex. this is of the bench of course

Dorf
12-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I think the rifles, at least the GPR, are capable of MOA. However, the sights sure aren't. My .54 GPR is capable of "Minute of Deer" (with the addition of a receiver sight) and has shot cloverleafs at 25 and 50 yds (using a PBR). If you want to see what a muzzleloader is really capable of doing, find a copu of Ned Roberts book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". It was written back in the 1940's of so and shows some truly spectacular targets. Hope this helps. Stan

MaxJon
12-12-2011, 10:58 PM
my gpr i n 54 cal. flintlock. will shoot into 3in. all day wiith a patch round ball. 80 grains 2f goex. this is of the bench of course

What range is that at?

wgr
12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
What range is that at?

90 yards

MaxJon
12-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I think the rifles, at least the GPR, are capable of MOA. However, the sights sure aren't. My .54 GPR is capable of "Minute of Deer" (with the addition of a receiver sight) and has shot cloverleafs at 25 and 50 yds (using a PBR). If you want to see what a muzzleloader is really capable of doing, find a copu of Ned Roberts book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". It was written back in the 1940's of so and shows some truly spectacular targets. Hope this helps. Stan

I forgot to mention, I would not bother with the blade sights, peep only for target work for me!
Yes front and rear peep sights for serious target work. A club near where i live shoots target matches out to 200yds, i would not even bother trying this match without peep sights! Peep or Apeture sights eliminate so many sighting errors, seems like the only option to me, when it comes to shooting a full black bullseye target!

MaxJon
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
90 yards

THanks wgr!

Omnivore
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
With a 50 cal Deerstalker with factory sights, I can get about 2", sometimes with a cloverleaf, or near cloverleaf at 50 yards in good lighting from a rest. That's with my hunting load of 110 gr. Goex 2F and a very tight PRB. The sights are not designed for great accuracy, so your practical accuracy will be less impressive. At 100 yards it's usually more like 5" and then closer to pie-plate.

OH and when I tried the Buffalo BallEts recently, I got as good if not the best accuracy yet, using 90 grains FF. The heavier charges opened groups a bit.

The sights and the trigger, and of course the person behind it, make more difference than the quality of the rifle. I have observed that different loads can make a huge difference in accuracy.

doubledown
12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I have the .54 percussion deerstalker. I shoot a 420 grain maxi ball over 100 grains of triple 7 with a CCI magnum #11 cap. It will out shoot its sights as Dorf said. With a large bullseye target for sight picture, Its rare if all shots are not touching at 100 yards. Its the most accurate BP rifle I have ever shot!

451whitworth
12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Lyman did one thing that i always thought was wise. they offered the GPR with a PRB twist (1-66") or a bullet twist (1-30"). i find them on average more accurate with less fiddling using the proper projectile for the rifle than 1-48" twist guns.