PDA

View Full Version : Mystery alloy(s)

seabreeze133
02-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I picked up some wheel weights and as part of the deal there was maybe 50 # of an alloy(?) that was in little sticks about 5/8" long and 1/8" or so in diameter.

Also about 12 sticks of a very shiny lead like material about 12" long and 1/4" square.

Both can be scratched w/the fingernail.

Any idea how to ID this stuff?

Thanks

Don

waksupi
02-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Try bending the 12"X1/4" bars. If they "squeak", they may be tin.

rhead
02-25-2007, 07:31 AM
The folks that make cut glass artwork used some material that looks something like the smaller ones. I have seen it advertized as either 4% or 6% tin in pure lead.

Bass Ackward
02-25-2007, 08:39 AM
How do we know and how do we turn down lead today?

I got some lead given to me that was third hand at least. The first guy was supposed to have blended it from lino and WW and some stuff he had laying around. (?)

The second guy felt it was too hard because he couldn't scratch or bite it even though it didn't ring so he added range scrap to try and extend the quantity of useful metal. (??) But .... he passed, so I inherited it.

Melt a small amount of it in an old small pot at low temp, flux the bejeebers out of it, scrape off the dross, and mold it. If it molds, it shoots. Oh you can shoot a few and scrape out any leading or you can load it low and work it up until you figure out what it can do and what it's limits are if you don't use it up first. All expensive alternatives today with component costs being what they are.

Or .... you can read the hardness on your tester and move on. If you don't have one, I will be happy to test a bullet for you.

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Ive got a couple buckets just for lead i dont know what the composition is I throw all of my range lead in them too. When they get full i just melt them into a batch and use them for low velocity rounds.