PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL question

41 mag fan
12-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Got a question I'm hoping someone can either answer or direct me in the right direction.

Do or does someone make a setup for auto primer drop so I don't have to load the tubes and does someone make a bullet feeder that'll have 22 cal bullets?

Loading the tubes gets old. I've got an extra sm primer tube, and in total can have 100 in tube feed and the others waiting, but would like to have something quicker.

Same way with the bullets. Gets old loading each and every one.

Now I look at my other presses and wonder how I went for decades now without this!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Hornady makes a bullet feeder. Dillon makes a primer tube loader. It's expensive though.

41 mag fan
12-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Does that bullet feeder handle 22 cal bullets?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-13-2011, 01:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Hornady is in the process of designing their rifle bullet feeder dies now. RCBS has one out, but you have to buy the electrically driven carousel with it. Hornady sells their bullet feeder dies separate from the electrical carousel.

1in9twist
12-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Tag for interest.

zband
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I think the OP was asking about primers.

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I think the OP was asking about primers.

No I'm interested in the bullet feeder too. I've got 5700 or more 223's to load. I've done 1500 or so in the last few days.
I feel like I'm back in the factory settings again, load case, start pulling handle, stop, load bullet, finish pulling handle.

Case feeder will be next months project.
But having to stop and load primers, and then loading cases and bullets gets monotonous.

I love the LNL, I think now why in the h*** didn't I have this a decade ago or better.

I figure 5700 to load now, when I reach 20k, then it'll be off to the 308's.

Would like to streamline for faster loadings.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you need to go ahead and order a case feeder. That'll help. Consider the Dillon Primer loader, you may have to adapt it a bit, but it will work last I knew with the Hornady stuff. Another thought is if you have a child old enough or a wife willing, ask them to do the peck peck part of loading primers for you. Good task to entertain a child.

Bullet feeder from RCBS is pricey, but at that volume, may be worth it to you.

I'd also consider picking up an ergonomic handle for your press if you don't have one.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/

Moonman
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
41 man Fan,

WOW!!! This looks like maybe somewhere you should acquire a Dillon 1050 and one of those vibrating primer tube loaders (they're like $300).

Happy Shooting Guy.

P.S. I have a Hornady LNL AP and a Dillon 550. Both are good stuff.

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you need to go ahead and order a case feeder. That'll help. Consider the Dillon Primer loader, you may have to adapt it a bit, but it will work last I knew with the Hornady stuff. Another thought is if you have a child old enough or a wife willing, ask them to do the peck peck part of loading primers for you. Good task to entertain a child.

Bullet feeder from RCBS is pricey, but at that volume, may be worth it to you.

I'd also consider picking up an ergonomic handle for your press if you don't have one.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/

Dave,
I seen that in the gunsmithing section on 1911.org. looked it over and then forgot to save to my fav's, but I got it now. I was planning on picking one up, probably be middle of Jan though. Thanks for posting that link!
Primer employee is a no go. Kids are grown and gone....wife...... I'd win a fight with a grizzly bear before I could get her to do that.
Plus no grandkids to bribe so I'm SOL.
One question though, on that ergo handle, do you have one, and how hard is it to use when you seat tight primers?
I'm using Tulas right now and some are pretty tight getting in, plus I've swaged primer crimp, that makes it a little tight too.

41 man Fan,

WOW!!! This looks like maybe somewhere you should acquire a Dillon 1050 and one of those vibrating primer tube loaders (they're like $300).

Happy Shooting Guy.

P.S. I have a Hornady LNL AP and a Dillon 550. Both are good stuff.

I'd like to have the 1050 thats for sure. If I'd quit buying molds and brass and powder for a month or 2 i'd have the money for a fully loaded Mercedes in the reloading world.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
The ergo handles are no rougher than any other on seating primers.

Rolling Stone
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
41 mag fan,
"Case feeder will be next months project."
If you get really ready for a case feeder, I have one I bought from DaveinFloweryBranch I would consider selling the electric collator with a group of 4 plates. I love the feeder, but I am happy with feeding the tube and not using the motorized part. If you think that might be something you could work with pm me and we will try to work something out.
Rolling Stone

bbqncigars
12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
A decent DIY primer tube loader can be made from the trays for the original Lee Autoprime. You just carefully glue the pickup tubes into the trays after removing the plastic tips. I tried a surplus phone vibe on a tray, but found it really wasn't needed. I can fill a tube in 30 seconds with just a slight tilt and a gentle shake. There is a site with pictures of it. Maybe something like 'DIY Vibra-Prime'.

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
41 mag fan,
"Case feeder will be next months project."
If you get really ready for a case feeder, I have one I bought from DaveinFloweryBranch I would consider selling the electric collator with a group of 4 plates. I love the feeder, but I am happy with feeding the tube and not using the motorized part. If you think that might be something you could work with pm me and we will try to work something out.
Rolling Stone

Pm sent.

A decent DIY primer tube loader can be made from the trays for the original Lee Autoprime. You just carefully glue the pickup tubes into the trays after removing the plastic tips. I tried a surplus phone vibe on a tray, but found it really wasn't needed. I can fill a tube in 30 seconds with just a slight tilt and a gentle shake. There is a site with pictures of it. Maybe something like 'DIY Vibra-Prime'.

Ok thanks bbqncigars....I'm going to look that up. i've got a few of the Lee Auto Primes