PDA

View Full Version : .32-20 S&W revolter barrels

leftiye
12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
For those of you who salivate when thinking of having a 32-20 revolver, especially a Smiffy Wesson I have an option for you to consider.

This following is a scenario for you to consider. There is right now a S&W moel 15 revolver for sale on gunbroker for 200 dollars. I recently got a model 17 .22 rf cal 8 3/8" barrel from a guy also on gunbroker. 100 dollars. Also a model 17 22 caliber cylinder, another 100 dollars. Bob Hoyt has given me a quote to rebore and rifle the barrel to .32 caliber (.312"). He is quite reasonable. His phone number is 717-642-6692.

Rechamber the .22 cylinder to 32-20. The metal and heat treat is the same as larger centerfire calibers, I've been told. Screw the barrel on to the model 15 frame - set back, and/or remove metal from rear of barrel as necessary to get proper cyl/barrel gap. Install modified cylinder on crane, and go shooting!

It is easier if when you get your cylinder you get one complete with crane and internal parts. Fitting/ finding these can be more fun than you want. P.S. There is a little more to it -You must control headspacing when you rechamber - probly have to recess the rims too to get headspacing right as the .22 cylinders have recessed rims (not enough room between cyl. and frame otherwise).