PDA

View Full Version : Bend T/C Hammer

tomme boy
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
On my T/C New Englander, the hammer does not hit the nipple square. It is hitting right at the edge of the cut out of the hammer. Does anyone know if the hammer is able to be bent over to have it hit more centered. I don't know the type of metal is the main problem. If it is cast it might break. I know I will have to heat it to do it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do this. And how you did it.

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I had the same problem with my Renegade. I put it in a heavy vise and heated it up with a torch. It doesn't need to be bent very much and I had a spare in case I screwed it up.

Nobade
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I've bent a couple of TC hammers with no problems. Heat cherry red with the torch, bend it where you want it, cool gently and try the fit. Then heat it up again and try once more. Eventually it's exactly what you want. Then either blue or brown it after you have polished all the scale off. I have never tried bending one cold, but I would be afraid of it breaking. Plus you would likely mark it up and have to refinish it anyway.

docone31
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
They don't break cold.
Simple bend.

krag35
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
My Renagade (45 Cal GM BBL) has the same problem. the Hammer is shaped different than the one on my 58 Renagade. I beleive at some point T/C changed the shape of their hammers. Dixie has hammers that I beleive will fit, I have not tried it though.

stronics
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Now that is just weird, I was heading to the computer to post this very question. I just picked up a never fired 50 TC Hawkin, after closer inspection found the hammer hits the nipple almost with the edge of the hammer by the cutout. If it clears the cap is it OK to use that way?
David

Dorf
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
stronics: As long as it goes BOOM every time, don't worry . Stan

idahoron
12-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I have bent the hammer to strike the nipple and I have bent the thumb part to keep it out of the way when cocking it. My Lyman peep sticks out a bit. I tried this and Like it a lot. Get it red hot and slip a small pipe over the part to bend. After your done let cool and blue it up. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/hammer04.jpg

Omnivore
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't totally ignore the way in which the hammer fits onto the tumbler. There is some leeway there.

izzyjoe
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
my Hawkens is the very same way, but it goes bang everytime so oh' well.

tomme boy
12-14-2011, 01:35 AM
It just bothers me. Little stuff like this never used to. But the older I get the more little things like this bother me.

stronics
12-14-2011, 07:35 AM
It just bothers me. Little stuff like this never used to. But the older I get the more little things like this bother me.
Isn't that the truth? I'm so old I can still remember when quality was standard and expected.
David