PDA

View Full Version : They Are At It Again

Mojo^
02-24-2007, 09:08 PM
In the wake of the Zumbo debacle last week something occurred to me. I was encouraged by the swift and strong responses that I was seeing across the internet. But then I thought, if people can get that riled-up about a single thoughtless comment on a stupid blog, why in heavens name aren’t I seeing downright outrage after H.R. 1022 was introduced? Rather than speaking out against the bill it seems more like people are getting ready for it to be passed into law. If gun owners across America can send countless emails to Remington and Outdoor Life demanding action why can’t we send just one to our elected officials in Washington and encourage others to do the same? Folks, just because H.R. 1022 doesn’t address a type of firearm that you currently own doesn’t mean that you don’t have a dog in this fight! You do. We need to get the word out on this one and stand-up for our rights! Gun owners cannot lay down and roll over on our backs while this thing gets pushed through. Please, take just a few minutes of your time to write a short note to your elected officials and tell them that you want to defeat H.R. 1022 and that you expect them to do everything in their power to stop it from becoming a reality. If you don’t know how to contact them, simply enter your zip code at http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials to obtain their email address.

RugerFan
02-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Outstanding link Mojo. Wouldn't it be nice if gun enthusiasts e-mailed their congressman on the same day of each month. Like on the 10th of EACH and EVERY month, you go to the NRA's web site to see what is the current hot button gun ban legislation. Then e-mail a nasty-gram about it. A target day may just catch on and gather some steam.

Phil
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Written and sent.

Phil

Treeman
02-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Done! Thanks for reminding me!!!

dltaskey
02-25-2007, 12:28 AM
What Treeman said!

drinks
02-25-2007, 01:42 PM
While at ILA site, sign up for e mail alert, too.
Those of you who do not like seeing the criminal alien invaders keep pouring in and being given amnesty and citizenship, try signing up for , Numbers , USA.
Through them, I sent over 400 faxes and 100 e mails last year at the times and congress critters where it would do the most good.

birdhunters
02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Sent my letter to My Rep. The first day it was publisized that hairbrained, gun grabbing McCarthy introduced the bill. Everyone should be up in arms about the bill this dingbat introduced on background checks too. SB297

IcerUSA
02-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Sent, might get a reply, might not. Worth a try :)

BlackRifleShooter
02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
As gun owners we need to unite together and oppose this infringement on our freedom at every level of government. We have to make ourselves heard like never before.

Old Ironsights
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
As gun owners we need to unite together and oppose this infringement on our freedom at every level of government. We have to make ourselves heard like never before.

Except many won't. They have fully swollowed the "Sporting Purposes" line. I'm in a constant battle with the "My Shotgun's Good Enough and will never be banned" crowd here in Indiana.

Many think the idea of "Homeland Security Rifles" is bunkum, rattling off the same hackneyed "have fun defending us from the British" Anti claptrap.

They just don't care and won't see how RKBA is NOT related to Hunting.

Anyway, here's what I sent to my Congresscritter (D).
----------------------------------------
Rep. Donnelly,

As a US Army Veteran and voting Citizen, I STRONGLY oppose Rep. McCarthy's HB1022 on multiple levels.

First and formost, it is an utter infringement on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms as guaranteed and deliniated by the 2nd Ammendment.

Secondly, it specifically and materially emasculates 10 U.S.C. Sec. 311 and the Militia Act of 1792, which require members of the Militia to be able to take up military small arms to act directly in the interests of Homeland Security.

This does not just mean members of the National Guard, but the "unorganized" militia of average citizens:
--------------------
Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 302, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are -

(1) the organized militia which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia;
and

(2) The unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or of the Naval Militia.
---------------------

The 2nd Ammendment is about Homeland Security. It has nothing to do with Hunting or "sporting" purposes.

HB1022 Section (L) gives almost unlimited power to the Attorney General to classify firearms under the provisions of the Ban:

‘‘(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.’’.

The applicable term is "or". " or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General". "Or a firearm", any firearm, designed for, or based upon a design "procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency".

That means almost every firearm made. From flintlocks to single shot breechloaders to pump shotguns to bolt action and lever action hunting rifles to revolvers, pistols and any firarms that look like their military and police counterparts.

This is an out and out attempt to regulate honestly held and honestly used firearms out of existence. It won't do a thing to illegally held and criminally used firearms.

This bill isn't even worth Debating. It must be rejected and should be repudiated in the strongest possible terms.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------

Old Ironsights
02-25-2007, 11:35 PM
In the wake of the Zumbo debacle last week something occurred to me. I was encouraged by the swift and strong responses that I was seeing across the internet. But then I thought, if people can get that riled-up about a single thoughtless comment on a stupid blog, why in heavens name aren’t I seeing downright outrage after H.R. 1022 was introduced? ....

Mojo, I don't think it was "thoughtless", I think it was a calculated reaction to HB 1022. Zumbo posted only 3 days after 1022 was announced.

Look at the other "writers" backing him up.

Too many have fallen for this stupid "sporting purposes" ruse - and in the Large, I think the NRA has too. WHy else would their ILA email not mention the "Sporting Purposes" clause that essentialy gives the AG the authority to ban almost every firearm made?

Char-Gar
02-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Just food for thought... The Zumbo affair and the House Bill in question is an apples and oranges comparison.

When Zumbo steps in it and thousands of folks email Remington or Outdoor Life, those folks listen because the shooters and hunters offended by Zumbo are their ONLY supporters and constituants.

When the politicos get thousands of emails, they are just another of the numerous voices on the political landscape.