PDA

View Full Version : I had to put up the revolvers for while.

44man
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
This might be the wrong place but results were something to see with a .50 cal round ball from my friends ML. I put him in my stand and he shot a buck this morning.
I only seen one deer on my wrong side.
I went to see what he did and he was gone. I knew about where a deer would be so I walked there and found blood, LOTS of blood. The trail was sprayed with what looked like gallons but I did not see Don. I tracked and must have gone 125 to 150 yards before I seen him. There were gouts of blood squirted everywhere.
He hit the lower part of the heart but did not break into any chambers.
I can not figure out how he went so far with such a huge blood loss???? I fully expected 20 yards at most. I should have taken my camera. I don't get that much blood when I cut a deers throat.

littlejack
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
No need to cut a deers throat.
If'n the heart isn't pumping, there will not be any significant amount of blood drainage.
When I was a young'un, I shot a doe through the heart with a 30-30 jacketed. She ran for 70 yards before
piling up. Dead on her feet.
Jack

44man
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
No need to cut a deers throat.
If'n the heart isn't pumping, there will not be any significant amount of blood drainage.
When I was a young'un, I shot a doe through the heart with a 30-30 jacketed. She ran for 70 yards before
piling up. Dead on her feet.
Jack
Have to if you break the spine. [smilie=s:

MT Gianni
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Wierd things happen with a heart shot. I had a small buck break into a hard run with no blood showing for 50 yards. He was at the edge of a clear cut so it was east to tell where he was. I cut circles and found some drops and followed them to find him dead. The blood trail opened up to where it was almost a river. Heart shot can mean a hard run and dead on their feet. They will travel a bit before their brain runs out of oxygen. Shoot 6" higher and they are DRT.

jdgabbard
12-12-2011, 09:46 PM
44, don't feel bad. I've had deer do that with my rifles, not to mention handguns. I shot one this year, with a .223. The deer ran for about 120yds, then fell over in a pill of leaves. Upon examination of the inards I found I had a clean heart shot.

Bottom line, sometimes deer are just like zombies. They're dead, they just don't know it yet. :guntootsmiley:

smoked turkey
12-13-2011, 01:14 AM
I have heard, and it seems true from my experience, that a deer retains blood pressure in their system for 7 or 8 seconds after they are basically dead on their feet. With a shot that doesn't take out the shoulder or spine a deer can cover a lot of ground in seven seconds. I shot a very nice doe this year just behind the shoulder with my 375H&H using a 270 gr. cast boolit. It was a light load and was a pass through shot. As you say, lots and lots of blood. She ran approximately 75 yards with her heart and lungs a mess.

Potsy
12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I shot a pretty big deer for these parts this year. He dressed 170lbs.
He was facing me at no more than 20 yards and I put a 270SAA out of my Knight (load was 100grn FF) dead center of his chest. It made enough shrapnel out of the sternum that the lungs were pretty well pulped, the bullet took off the top half of his heart, though the liver, and stopped in the stomach. No doubt, for those who believe in "energy dump" he caught all of it.
He humped up at the shot, turned, and casually trotted about 75 yards before falling over.
They can take a lot of killing before they decide to lay down sometimes.

44man
12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I went back this morning and heard deer coming when it was still dim. There was one opening but they ran through it. I watched them cross high to my left but it was still too dim.
I thought about moving the stand but just sat and froze more. About 8:30 I looked left and there was a large doe, never heard her or seen her coming because of the cedar trees. I broke both her shoulders and a bunch of other deer came from nowhere.
Don't mess with a .54 RB! :holysheep
It is a pain to hoist a 9-1/2# Hawken into the stand, hold it and then lower it. The stand was coated in heavy frost and it was hard to take my coat off and roll up sleeves in the cold but she is hanging at my barn.
I really miss the shoulder holster! :holysheep

Matthew 25
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice. I'm jealous of you guys still hunting. It's all over in Colorado, unless you have a private land dispersion tag. I think I've had my fill of processing critters for a while, though.