PDA

View Full Version : 58 cal. tumbling

stomper
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Hello I'am new to this group. I have a 58 Zoli zouave that I have had for over 40 years. It always shot very well at 100 yards. I have not used it in at least 15 years. However I have a Muzzle loading permit this year to hunt deer. I took the rifle down to the range and expected to get the same results. What I got was I was lucky if it went through the target never mind the bulls eye. And most shots were going through sideways. I cast my own bullets with a Lyman mold as I always have. I use 60 grains of 2f. The bullets run .580-.581 in Dia. from the mold and fit snug in the barrel. I even tried shooting some Hornady sabots and although they were a little better for accuracy, they still tumbled. I really scrubbed the bore thinking that might be the problem but didn't get any better results.
Any one have any advice?
Thanks

jonk
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Either you are stripping the bullet or not getting enough velocity. I usually use about the same charge as you.

Try 60 gr of FFFG or a 5 gr kicker of FFFFG under 55 of the triple F. Sometimes cold weather and cheap musket caps (could also be the issue) have stopped me until I switched to that.

mpmarty
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the site. Perhaps your cast is a bit on the hard side. Have you tried some made of pure lead? Also, I always had better luck with 3f than 2f in large front stuffers.

1Shirt
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Think MPmarty's suggestion is good. It is what I used to use. If your bbl is still good (a lot that have not been shot for a number of years were allowed to rust and pit). Another suggestion is for you to try a tight patched ball. I took a couple of deer with 58 cal. muskets with patched round ball and 60 gr. of 3F. Out of my
Zouave and Springfield, round ball tended to be more accurate than Mini's.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

45-70 Chevroner
12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Stomper: What is the twist rate of your Zouave.
I like 1shirt's idea, use a round ball as long as your twist rate is not two fast. I have always gotten better accuracy with patched RB's. in my muzzleloaders as long as the twist rate was at least 1 in 48" or slower. If your twist is a little faster than 1 in 48" just slow the load down a little bit. You might find you like them.
You might want to place this question in the muzzleloader section of this web site.