PDA

View Full Version : I am proud to call this man friend

Boz330
12-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I met this NCO while I was stationed at Ft Knox. He was a roll model for a young NCO. While I didn't work for him we both belonged to the Ft Knox Sport Parachute Club and he did his best to keep me out of trouble and was an inspiration to me.
I just ran across him back in July at a memorial service after almost a 30 year lapse in time. He served in Korea with the Marines and Viet Nam in the Army. He was the kind of soldier that when you first met him you thought I would follow this guy into hell if necessary. I never knew anything about this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/393757_306548339365615_100000313535779_1052280_133 5830240_n.jpg

Bob

44fanatic
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Leading by example. He is someone I would be proud to know also.

Olevern
12-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Typical hero, you will never hear them tell the story.

P.K.
12-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Typical hero, you will never hear them tell the story.

Yes sir, they are the "Quiet Professionals" for a reason. That applies to all who do their jobs and don't look to the lime light. Civillian or Military. Plenty are there looking for their 15 min. It's the one's that don't that inspire awe. For they did the extrodanary and look to their fellows and ask, "You would have done the same right?"

P.K.
12-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Bob,

Is he still with us?

Boz330
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes he is. I haven't seen him in 30 years but ran into him at a memorial service in July. He is all stooped over from a spinal issue now but he about crushed my hand when we shook. He was what I thought that a professional soldier should be. Try the link at the bottom to a picture of Ross now.

My First Shirt was the same way but he was my boss. He jumped through all sorts hoops to get me before the promotion board for my Buck Sgt stripes. Then gave me all the TMs that I needed to study and headed me in the right direction. A lot of hassle for a Draftee that only had 6 months left to do and may have not even been around when the slot came down. I was 6th on the board list and first in my MOS so I got my stripes on the first list after the boards. Then I was asked if I wanted to be assistant Battalion Operations NCO. They thought that I was going to re-up, didn't get the job when I told them I wasn't going to. The Master Sgt at Bat. was incredulous that I wasn't going to re-up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2214527043365&set=t.1286107571&type=3&theater

Bob

1Shirt
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Think all of us old time lifers have an old NCO or two that we looked up to when we were youngsters. Mine was my Senior Drill Instructor on Paris Island. All of my Drill Instructors were WWII or Korean War Vets. I seriously doubt that any are still living. Would like to think and hope that there are some out there who may have looked at me possibly as an example.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Boz330
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Think all of us old time lifers have an old NCO or two that we looked up to when we were youngsters. Mine was my Senior Drill Instructor on Paris Island. All of my Drill Instructors were WWII or Korean War Vets. I seriously doubt that any are still living. Would like to think and hope that there are some out there who may have looked at me possibly as an example.

Not just lifers. While I wasn't enamored with being in the Army, it was my duty, and I tried to do it to the best of my ability. There were still a number of WWII vets and more Korean vets at that time. I use to get a kick out of them talking about "the old brown shoe Army" and how tough it use to be compared to now days. Funny thing is I'm hearing the same thing about today's Army compare to 30 years ago.
I think that the average GI sees a lot more training before he gets shot at now than in 1966 and it shows in the casualty numbers.

Bob

GARCIA
12-22-2011, 05:42 PM
This topic sure does bring back memories.

1stSgt Pace was an old time vet, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Served with Merrill's Marauders in WWII. Man scared me something bad! He lived the Infantryman's motto of "Follow Me!"

Same with PSG Thomas, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He was forced to retire due to putting in all the years that he could (30+). He new nothing other than the military and passed away six months after being forced to retire.

The above individuals were assigned to the 1/327th Inf Bn (ABN) 101st ABN DIV.

My world was better for knowing them!

Tom

P.K.
12-23-2011, 01:21 AM

Hold on TOP! You are here and I'm sure you have a "Shoulder" REGIMENT.....;-)

God Bless you and all of yours...

pmeisel
12-23-2011, 09:53 PM
God bless him, and you, and all of both your kind.