PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Square Deal

LAH
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
This press has loaded a truck load of ammo & still going strong. It's received a part or two but other than that it's just been load, load, load.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture173.jpg

A favorite 38 load
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Loading%20Room%20101/Loading%20Equipment/Picture178.jpg

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Mine is over 20 years old and is the only progressive I own. The only downside to it is changing calibers can be a PITA but I use it for 38/357, 44's, 45LC and 454 Casull's. I too have had to change a couple of minor parts but it just keeps pumping them out.

Dan Cash
12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I have had a couple of SDB presses gotten in trades. I used them to see what they were like. If they were not redundant to my 550s, I would still be using them as dedicated to caliber machines. Great presses.

myfriendis410
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I own two of them 'cause I'm too lazy to change out calibers. It's not bad if you stay with one primer size. Mine are set up on the bench for 45 acp and .41 magnum. I love the small footprint and they can sure puke out the ammo. Very consistent measure and you can feel the primer seat in press. I love mine. One of 'em is over 20 years old and has only had a tune-up in all that time.

zxcvbob
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I bought a Hornady LNL-AP instead of a SDB because the SDB takes proprietary dies, and also I wanted the 1000 free rifle bullets. Now that I actually have a progressive press and see what they are used for, I may have made the wrong choice. (dies are cheap compared to aggravation, especially if you only need one or two sets of dies)

I leave the LNL set up all the time for just one .38 Special load that I use a lot of, and load everything else on a single stage. Sometimes I'll set up the progressive for a big run of 9mm. That's about it. I have a few other shell plates, but I never use them.

How is the cartridge ejector on the SDB? (the one on the LNL-AP really, really, sucks. I've taken it off and remove the cartridges by hand. Supposedly Hornady has fixed that on newer presses)

LAH
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
How is the cartridge ejector on the SDB? (the one on the LNL-AP really, really, sucks. I've taken it off and remove the cartridges by hand.

I've had no problem with mine but the one on my 550 doesn't do quite right [sometimes].

W.R.Buchanan
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I have two SDB's .40S&W and .45ACP. I bought the set of .40S&W dies for my first SDB and then before I could change them out I found another SBD minus dies for $180 so I just bought it and set up both as dedicated.

I personally think for pistol ammo these machines are some of the best out there and the price is not excessive in any way. They are very easy to set up and run very smoothly. There is plenty of stuff available on ebay and even here so if you don't want a new on you can buy used , and they do hold their value well.

I have all of my part time presses set up on aluminum plates so I just set them on the reloading bench and clamp them down and have at it. When done I dump the powder,and put them up in the loft with a plastic trash bag over them to keep out dust and dirt.

I think the Dillion SDB is probably one of the best pistol caliber loaders anyone has ever came up with, I love mine and they are and absolute joy to use, but the really cool thing is you can send them back to Dillion and they will rebuild them for practically nothing or sometimes free. You would have to load a bunch of ammo to wear one to the point of needing rebuilt, but you'll never wear one out.

Randy

avogunner
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
My SDB is right at 20 years old and I love it. I use it for almost all of my pistol reloading; .45ACP, 38spl, 45Colt, 45S&W, and 9mm. Yeah, the caliber change over isn't quick but I don't care. Reloading (and shooting) is what I do to relax and decompress so taking a few extra minutes to change out the dies and shell plate is not an issue with me. The only thing I've ever had to replace on it was not even on the press but on the 9mm resizing die. The carbide ring came out attached to a case one time but Dillon sent a replacement quickly and without any fuss.

cp478
12-12-2011, 05:54 PM
My dad has one that he has owned for the better part of thirty years and we absolutely love it. I just sent out payment for a used one for my house. For loading pistol ammo I wouldnt choose anything else. As far as having one press for pistol and rifle, I use a single stage for my rifles anyway.

Walt
12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I have two Square Deals and a 550 for handgun loading. Dillon rebuilt my old SD about 10 years ago (it was about ten years old then). I couldn't stand the thought of being without one so I had them ship me another one before I sent it in. One is usually set up for 45 Auto and the other 9m/m. I have dedicated tool heads and conversions for 9 different calibers. Most of those I'll load on my 550 but the SDs are a good back up. I used to load 44 Special and Magnum on the SDs but IMO the cases need to be lubed for the little press. Just the thought of lubing pistol cases gives me a headache. :)

Mike W1
12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking about a second one for 9mm as I love mine that sets up for .45 ACP but don't want the hassle of changing primer set up and dies.

I'm not any kind of competetive shooter but after doing about 1400 rounds on a single stage I've come to the conclusion that I'd sooner wear a hair shirt than go through that again. 50 or even 100 rounds ain't bad but beyond that it gets to be work when it's one at a time and repeated 6 or 7 times. I can't see where anything on the market is even close when it comes to pistol rounds only.

Mk42gunner
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
One of my strikers had a SDB that we loaded several thousand rounds on, the only hassle I remember (20+ years ago), was changing the primer system.

Right now I load everything on single stage presses, I have more time than money. If I were to find another job to supplement the retirement income, I would get a Square Deal B for handgun ammo.

Robert

marvelshooter
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I have an old SDB that I love everything about except the primer system especially changing between primer sizes. I completely removed the priming parts and hand prime with a Lee tool. Caliber change is now about two minutes.

wellfedirishman
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I have 2 Square Deals, both purchased used from members on this forum, along with some die sets from eBay. I keep one for Large Primer, and one for Small Primer. Between them I can knock out all the pistol ammo I'd ever need and then some. Once they are set up, they are a joy to use. Changing out the primer system from large to small or back is a pain, hence the benefit of 2 presses. I can easily knock out 250-300 rounds an hour on them.

In comparison, the Hornady LNL Progressive is clunky and frustrating to use at times. I have the LNL set up for 223 type cases (223, 7 TCU, 300 whisper) and leave it alone aside from that. It is better for large runs of rifle cases without changing setups during the run.

Funnily, the press I use most often for small runs is my Lee Classic Turret. That was the best $100 I ever spent. Takes 20 seconds to change caliber.

LAH
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Guess there are more SDB presses in use here than I thought. I purchased a S&W 29-3, 4" in 1992 & the SDB just to load it'sammo.

Alvarez Kelly
12-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I may as well pile on... :-) Dillon Square Deals are a big part of this extended family, and have been since the early 80s. I've had to do some maintenance and upgrades, but they keep cranking out ammo. I can't say enough about how painless they are to use most of the time.

Jammer Six
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Okay, I'm in. The Square Deal is the only press I own, although that may be about to change. I may have to swage.

jmorris
12-13-2011, 07:05 AM
SD guys, click on this photo.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/th_MOV02172.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/?action=view&current=MOV02172.mp4)

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
I had 5 of them before the fire. two that i bought new and three that i got from my buddy al anderson. We figured out one day before the fire that those presses had to have loaded AT LEAST a half a million rounds each in the years al had them and the 8 years i had them and that was a very conserative guess. All three had been rebuilt by dillon twice allready and one of them was about to be sent in for its 3rd rebuild. I had quite a collection of spare parts too. Could have easily rebuilt them myself. Bottom line is there a great little press to load lots of handgun ammo on. I can load on one just as fast as a 650 with a case feeder due to the much shorter stroke on the SD.

Reload3006
12-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I have a SDB not all that crazy about it. I have 9mm and 38/357 dies and tool head for it. But the issues I am having with mine is I cant get it to feed primers reliably and I cant get it to eject the finished round into the bin reliably more than half the time I have to dig the round off the shell plate or the press in some place or other. I still like Dillon gear and when the time comes I intend to get a xl650.

Shooter
12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Bought a SD in the 1980's for $114. Still going strong.

odis
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Mines an SD came with the white spacer. Have had the main frame replaced once and the primer system wore out 15 yrs ago, everything has been replaced on Dillons dime and they even replaced a set of dies that where destroyed from a leaking water pipe in my shop. I explained what happened and the tech then explained their no BS warranty to me and sent the new ones out gratis. I can't even begin to guess how many rds its produced. My wife talked me into buying it in the early 80s, I'm blessed with a good wife and a good press.

W.R.Buchanan
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Reload3006: if your press won't eject the problem is probably the little curved spring wire that pushes the loaded round out . if it is missing it won't eject at all, and if it is bent so it is flattened out it will not eject but intermittently. It is a .25 part.

The primer system problem requires a little more to get to work right. If you get the instructions out, there is a step by step sequence to set it up from scratch. There is a little setscrew that acts as a stop and that is problably what is out of adjustment. Once set right you should never have to mess with it again.

Hope this helps with your press problems. We aren't raving about this tool for no good reason, they are actually that good. Your's will be too.

Another thing,,,, you could send it back to Dillon for a tune up, and they would fix any problems and send it back to you in working order.

Randy

Char-Gar
12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I had a large number of rounds with high primers with the SD. It took more pressure that I felt comfortable with to flush seat the primers. So, I ended up flush seating them with a hand tool. That didn't make me happy either.

Reload3006
12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Well i had an issue with mine flipping the primers over Dillon said to adjust the punch height from the cartridge I did that and it cured the flipping issue. Now it intermittently feeds a primer its not uncommon at all for it to just not drop a primer at all. I am thinking its the little blue plastic cap on the end of the magazine.

Mike W1
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
SD guys, click on this photo.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/th_MOV02172.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/?action=view&current=MOV02172.mp4)

I'm assuming that's some sort of feeder in the picture. Mind enlightening us?

jmorris
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm assuming that's some sort of feeder in the picture. Mind enlightening us?

Yes, its a video. You have to click on the photo.

220swiftfn
12-13-2011, 11:44 PM
I had a large number of rounds with high primers with the SD. It took more pressure that I felt comfortable with to flush seat the primers. So, I ended up flush seating them with a hand tool. That didn't make me happy either.

I'm having the same problem with mine, but only with .45 Colt, all of the others are fine (I'm pretty sure that the shellplate is worn out, a call to Dillon will fix it up.....)

Dan

Char-Gar
12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
220swiftfn... I had trouble with seating primers flush when it was new with both the 45 ACP and 38 Special shell plates. I no longer have it, as I sold it down river when it gave me an overcharge of powder.

warf73
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Well i had an issue with mine flipping the primers over Dillon said to adjust the punch height from the cartridge I did that and it cured the flipping issue. Now it intermittently feeds a primer its not uncommon at all for it to just not drop a primer at all. I am thinking its the little blue plastic cap on the end of the magazine.

If your throwing in the towl on the SD give me a PM maybe we can work out a barter?

kostner
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Had the same problem and found the arm was crack at the base. Dillon said it does happen. Replace the arm and have not had a high primer since. Good luck

Hang Fire
12-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Bought mine in either 1987 or 88, takes a licking and keeps on ticking those 45 acp loads out.

Reload3006
12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I haven't given up yet but I will probably trade it off when I upgrade to a 650. It was used and ive already soaked a lot of money into it more than I had planned when I bought it. I got the small primer stuff with the press and the old style powder measure. It didnt flair the case reliably and the linkage was constantly falling off the powder measure. So I bought a new powder measure with the new fail safe stuff in it. It cured the flair issue. and the fail safe is working like a champ now have the new large primer stuff but haven't bought 45acp dies and tool head nor have i got the dies and tool head for 44 mag yet either. Before I do that I want to get the small priming issue worked out. I hate to do it but I probably will send it to Dillon for rebuild basically 50.$ plus shipping ... when you add it all up What I should have done is just bought it new from Dillon it would have been cheaper.

odis
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I haven't given up yet but I will probably trade it off when I upgrade to a 650. It was used and ive already soaked a lot of money into it more than I had planned when I bought it. I got the small primer stuff with the press and the old style powder measure. It didnt flair the case reliably and the linkage was constantly falling off the powder measure. So I bought a new powder measure with the new fail safe stuff in it. It cured the flair issue. and the fail safe is working like a champ now have the new large primer stuff but haven't bought 45acp dies and tool head nor have i got the dies and tool head for 44 mag yet either. Before I do that I want to get the small priming issue worked out. I hate to do it but I probably will send it to Dillon for rebuild basically 50.$ plus shipping ... when you add it all up What I should have done is just bought it new from Dillon it would have been cheaper.When I've sent mine back it only cost shipping, the large primer stuff is just a cup and a drop tube and a pick up tube. For handguns of the caliber that dillon offers dies for I can't think of a better progressive press, for me anyways.

cp478
12-22-2011, 06:28 AM
The square deal is hard to beat and dillons service and warranty makes it impossible to beat.

True.grit
12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I have a SD in most of the 18 calibers that they offer and I would not have any other loader for pistol. I wish they offered it in 223/5.56. I have sent it into be rebuilt without a problem. If there is a problem now I just have them send the replacement parts. Their NO"BS" warranty is great.

Without the 2nd Amendment all others do not matter!

45-70 Chevroner
12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I bought a SDB when they first came out. I got it in 45 long colt and got a caliber change in 38 - 357 at the same time. I loaded about 500 rounds of 45 when the actuator handle broke. I called dillon and they sent me a new up dated handle which was much stronger built, and they suggested that I lube the cases even though it had carbide dies. I changed it over to the 38 357 and it has never been changed back to 45. I bought a caliber change in 45 long colt at about the same time for my RL 550 B and it works great. Dillon has been great for part replacement and they always have time to talk you through problems.

45-70 Chevroner
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a SDB not all that crazy about it. I have 9mm and 38/357 dies and tool head for it. But the issues I am having with mine is I cant get it to feed primers reliably and I cant get it to eject the finished round into the bin reliably more than half the time I have to dig the round off the shell plate or the press in some place or other. I still like Dillon gear and when the time comes I intend to get a xl650.

I think you are having problems with adjustment. Call Dillon and they well spend as much time as needed to help you with it. Just ask for the service department.

zxcvbob
12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I was looking at SDB presses at grafs.com, and I noticed the .38 Special press and the .357 Magnum have different numbers. Isn't it exactly the same thing and you just adjust the dies longer for the .357? That's how it is on most normal presses, but maybe the powder linkage is different on this one?

Since I never load rifle rounds on my LNL-AP anyway, I'm tempted to get the Dillon and try it out, and maybe sell the Hornady.

Walter Laich
12-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Zxcvbob,

Same press and everything else. One comes adjusted for .38 Sp, the other for .357 mag.

as you mentioned, you can adjust the dies to go from one to the other.

True.grit
12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
If you are having a primer feed problems change the plastic tip on the primer feed tube it may be dirty or worn. This is a very simple fix that takes 5 min to complete.

"I was looking at SDB presses at grafs.com, and I noticed the .38 Special press and the .357 Magnum have different numbers. Isn't it exactly the same thing and you just adjust the dies longer for the .357? That's how it is on most normal presses, but maybe the powder linkage is different on this one?"

If you buy a new SDB they will set the loader up for you in 38sp or 357 mag. If you change calibers, it is quicker if you have the tool head with the dies.

True grit

hiram1
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I love mine it works well for me.in 45 apc never gives me a prob

Walter Laich
12-30-2011, 03:01 PM
a couple of things:

be sure you have the "D" funnel--that's what the .38/.357 calls for

I finally solved my problem by buying the next smallest funnel and the buldging below the belling went away for good but this was in .45 Colt.