PDA

View Full Version : 43 Spanish?

Mark Daiute
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Is brass available for 43 Spanish? There's an Argentine Remington Rolling block at the local shop and I was wondering about the availability of brass.

Thanks,

Mark

Nobade
12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Better act fast. Jamison was making it, and just went out of business. But if you check with Buffalo Arms, Track of the Wolf, and Grafs you probably will find some. They all sold it for Jamison. I managed to get 20 of them from Jamison on the last day of business and am quite pleased with them - good quality and fit. I did fireform them first with Red Dot and Cream 'O' Wheat to round out the necks and see what size boolit to use. I size the boolit to be a slip fit in the necks so I don't use any reloading dies. Just shoot, deprime, clean, and load again. This way I am hoping they last a good long time.

school of mines
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Midway USA has Bertram 43 Spanish brass. That's where I got mine and we are on our fourth loading of the brass. So far, so good!

bubba.50
12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
buffalo arms has it in their catalog. that's where i got brass for my spanish reformado and swede 12mm. huntington's might also be a place to check.

DHB
12-13-2011, 12:44 AM
You can always make 43 Span brass out of Win 348 brass. When I made mine (long, long, time ago) I used the type of washer that goes on the bolt of an AR to create a larger rim. Just worked it around the base of the case to give the extractor extra purchase as in my case the 348 rim was a little thin. It worked well for me. If you have any questions PM me, and I'll try to help.
DHB

Buckshot
12-19-2011, 03:58 AM
...........I have Bertram brass and a couple boxes (plastic 20 round boxes) have over 12 firings with out a lost case yet.

http://www.fototime.com/912EA02D06C7231/standard.jpg

.43 Spanish with custom Mountain Moulds 415gr slug.

http://www.fototime.com/23E5560C8BB6BF7/standard.jpg

Some 50 yard groups fired with the RCBS & Lyman boolit designs. My rifle is a 1879 contract RB. Argentina had a couple runs of RB's.

................Buckshot

GUSTAVOAR
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Hello: Here in Argentina the .348 W is nearly imposibly to find, so we use 45-70 with a simple pass thru the .43 Die and fireform to copy the chamber, is a litle short in the neck but works.
45-90 with a trim makes a brass of correct length.

SALUDOS

badgeredd
12-21-2011, 05:42 PM
For what it's worth, Buffal Arms has some Jamison brass left. Since Jamison has gone out of business one best get it while the gettin' is good. I just picked up 60 pieces for 42 and a few cents a piece. I'll grant you it is a pricey proposition but considering the expected life of the brass I guess I figured it would wrk out to a reasonable price in the long run. I still need a new mainspring for mine but have been making do with a spring I jerry rigged to shoot until the new spring arrives. I'm pretty inpressed with the accuracy of the old girl with PPed boolits and H4198.

I decided to PP the boolits to try to get a good fit and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Besides
using the Lyman 439 boolit sized down and paper patched up to .441, I also have been having fun with a 300 grain 44 caliber boolit paper patched up to groove diameter. Probably not the ideal boolit but it goes bang and I have been getting reasonable accuracy with it.

Edd

MtGun44
12-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Buckshot,

What is the diameter of that giant Loverin beauty? Those are spectacular groups,
in some cases. My Argie has a nice enough bore that it SHOULD be able to do that,
but so far I haven't gotten a boolit fat enough. Maybe I can beagle the Lyman enough,
but I am skeptical. The other option is to go way soft and try to bump it up with 10-15 gr of
Unique.

Bill