PDA

View Full Version : How do you enlarge neck in die?

Canuck Bob
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I've heard of this done, searched here in vain, and googled. I'm researching enlarging the neck of FS dies to not overwork the brass and be cast friendly.

What are the common methods of doing this?

KohlerK91
12-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Hone it.

I think "FC60" can hone it for you.

Or

Get a neck bushing die.

40Super
12-12-2011, 04:33 AM
I do the neck bushing thang, its really nice when you know you'll be shoot'in different size boolits,; or gray and them fancy shinny ones.:Fire:

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
I've polished them before by using a case formed in that die, primer pocket drilled and taped
and a hand held drill, oil and lapping compound. you can apply the lapping compound judiciously
where you want it. It might help a little...or it might be crazy..who knows?

1hole
01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
"How do you enlarge neck in die? "

I don't. All it would do is make the exterior consistant while the interior would vary by neck thickness variations.

I prefer to bore my FL die necks to 3-6 thou larger than fired case diameter (carbide drill, ground to desired diameter) to be used as a "body" die. Necks then get sized with a Lee collet die. Minimum working of the necks, they are as straight as possible and the inside diameter is consistant

MT Chambers
01-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Forster or Redding bushing dies will allow you to play with as many diff. dia. necks as you want, I favor the Redding S bushing neck dies, quality kit!!

P.K.
01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I guess I'm the penny pincher, a Lee Case Expanding Die does the trick for me.
http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html

wv109323
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
To Flare the neck for cast bullets there is the Lee universal Flaring die. About $17.00 bucks this just flares the case mouth to allow the cast bullet to be seated without the lip of the case deforming the Boolit.. RCBS also sells "oversized" neck expanders for some of the pistol calibers. These are sold as Cowboy expanders meant for reloaders that use cast bullets which are larger than jacketed bullets.
Also many of the die makers will sell oversize expander buttons for their rifle dies. This is done and not well advertised. You got to contact them and ask.

blikseme300
01-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I guess I'm the penny pincher, a Lee Case Expanding Die does the trick for me.
http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html

I have made some custom inserts for these that mimic the M-die. I am cheap and like to make my own tools. What's not to like about this obsession?