PDA

View Full Version : .41 jacketed bullets coming along.

littlejack
12-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I went to the range today with a few of my 41 magnum bullets that I made from 40 S&W brass.
I had tried to cast the cores in the cases with and without flux and neither one did very well. There were voids in between the case wall and the outer perimiter of the cast core. I have bought a small amount of lead wire from another member to use as the core for my next batch of bullets. These I will be able to seat properly and also cut to the desired weight and be very consistant.
The biggest problem was the weight differential (from the voids) of the bullets. There was also the fact that the voids were usually on one side of the bullets, which would cause the bullet be unbalanced. Kind of like your clothes washer with one towel wadded up on one side in the spin cycle.
These bullets came out at 230 grains +/- a couple grains. I was going to try to go heavy with this bullet (250 grain) but I have decided to stay at about 220 to 230 grains.
I used a load of 18 grains of H110 for some and a load of 16 grans of 2400 for others. These shot well considering what was coming out of the muzzle. The horizontal spread was very narrow, (less than one inch) but the vertical spread went from 1" to 3" depending on the group.
I only shot at 15 yards. Recoil was mild and the cases ejected easily. I was shooting my model 57 S&W 6".
These bullets have the truncated cone like stealthshooters, on his original post,
"My home made 45 cal swaging dies".
Lots of playing around but fun.
Jack