PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Primers

Jason30-30
12-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Anybody using wolf primers? Ive heard mixed reviews & would like to give them a try as there very economicall.

Ben
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I shoot Wolf large rifle primers. No complaints .

Reload3006
12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I use Tulammo and wolf primers in Large pistol Small Pistol Large rifle and small rifle. I have about 20,000 of them I have not had a FTF yet. They fit and function fine. If i have a few FTFs for the money I have saved with them I am ok with that.

mpmarty
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Bought 30,000 LP Wolf primers three or four years ago. I use them in pistol and rifle reloads and find they work fine. No problems at all and the price was spectacular.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I have used 3,000 Tula Mag primers and 1 had the anvil missing in it. No FTF. I have another 7,000 left and will buy more when the time comes.

milprileb
12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
I have shot well over 20K of Tula primers this past year and they replicate Winchester primers in all my pet loads.

sure fire stuff ! I will continue to use them. They now import Berdan primers and I got 10K bought and am reloading GP 11 Swiss and 303 British with these. Again great results.

I get my primers at Dagammo.com and they are super to deal with.

parrott1969
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Wolf primers are a great value. I use small pistol, small rifle,large pistol and large rifle. Out of the many thousands that I have shot, there has only been one that "may have malfunctioned". I say may because the round still fired, and it still cycled the action but unburnt powder blew out the end of the barrel. I am torn between thinking that it was a primer failure, a bad load of powder or something partially blocking the primer hole.
Wolf large rifle primers give fantastic standard devations and extreme spreads. They are tighter than Federal match, CCI benchrest and Winchester. The only primer that perfoms better is the remington bench rest. Just my 2 cents.

Blacktail 8541
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I use an awful lot of the wolf primers in both large and small rifle. They preform better than any other primer that I have used except the rem 71/2. And the 71/2 beat it out by very little.

jblee10
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I've been Wolf SR primers in the 300 Whisper and have no complaints.

edsmith
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
russkie primers are all I use, never a FTF.

Jason30-30
12-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys i will give them a shot

bryonbush
12-11-2011, 10:28 PM
i purchased 2k a while ago and just now got around to loading them. im using the large pistol in my 45 fired out of a springfield 1911. probably 1 out of 7 has a FTF rate. some times i can run several mags without issues but then ill have a bunch of them. i bought a bunch of Small Rifle as well but havent been able to load those yet.

skeet1
12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I have used Wolf primer in most sizes and have found them to be excellent!

Ken

12-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I'll continue to buy them.

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 12:58 AM
I use them because they are cheap. Accuracy is on par with the more expensive primers and have had no FTF 1 primer got stuck in my Dillon tube and my only real complaint is that the cardboard section of the containers they come in don't fit too well.

Rhino
12-12-2011, 01:04 AM
How do they compare with federal primers in relation to hardness ??

Shooting revolvers with light mainspring tension, just enough to fire 'soft' federl primers, how does wolf compare ??

Cheers

evan price
12-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Wolfs are harder than Federals. I would call them about as hard as a Winchester.
I have loaded and shot many thousands, still have maybe 10K of various sizes left, no problems to mention EXCEPT that they area smidge bigger and fit tighter in the primer pocket. Great for older brass. However takes more force to seat them deep enough, especially on Seller & Bellot brass (OMG!) so I have seen fail to fires, that fired on second strike, which I would call primer not seated deep enough, and not a primer fault.

milprileb
12-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Usually, when one encounters many FTF its primers not seated fully. Been reloading over 50 yrs now and I can document few primers that were really at fault and badly made. I have had lots of CCI that were hit or miss in a given box but not the case for the entire 5K brick.

As to Tula, over 20K and no issues at all. I use a RCBS automatic prmiing tool that mounts on the bench for all primers these days and I can feel them seat in pockets. I can't get that feel with Dillon progressive presses (own two) and frankly, these primer systems will jam up due to residue dropping from decapping spent primers on the FL / Decap die stage. When the system jams up, its a PITA to tear down and get running again. I no longer mess with these systems and hand primer all brass going into my progressives, my turret or into my Rock Chucker and Co Ax.

That said: Tula primers perform in these progressive priming systems like any other US primer until the system itself malfunctions. Thats a mechanical thing with no connection to primers in system.

There is one thing about Tula: they are priced right, they are in great supply and they are sold here all the time. Availability, performance and price all combine to make them my primers of choice.

If you want a good deal on primers there are many places. I go with Dagammo.com cause prices shown are shipped prices and the gent owning the business is a USMC veteran.

Wayne Smith
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I go with DAGammo both because of the price and, on the basis of one meeting with him and a couple of phone calls, Dominic is a he** of a nice guy and very helpful, straight up and honest when he can't be at the moment.

biscot
12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I went through about 20k Wolf small pistol primers in the past year or so. Maybe I had a bad batch, but I'd have a FTF about every 200 or so, on average. No problem with practice ammo, but I didn't use them at matches. I've used a similar quantity of CCI small pistol primers with not one FTF. I'm still tempted by the price, but for now I'm sticking with the CCI.

Benji40
12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
powder valley has them too. They work.

Recluse
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I tried two different boxes of small pistol primers. Sent one back and was told they had a bad lot. Was sent a replacement box, but gave it away.

I just flat don't like them and as a result, stay stocked up heavily with Winchester and CCI.

If they were/became the last primers on earth, I'd have no choice. But so long as I have a choice, I choose to avoid them.

:coffee:

fredj338
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I have no issues w/ the LP, but many I have talked to & my own exp will not have me buying any more SPP.

Ole
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I have had a few (less than 5 out of probably 1000 fired) that seemed to light off kind of slow, but never had one not light.

I wouldn't hesitate using them for blasting ammo. Don't think I would use them for a hunting or self defense application.

GMT210
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I've used several thousand small and large pistol and I've only had 1 FTF.

Upon inspection the primer anvil was turned sideways and crushed in the primer cup. It taught me to visually inspect the primers in the flip tray before I load them up in the tube, it was an extremely obvious defect if I had spent 10 seconds inspecting the tray.

GMT

Hip's Ax
12-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I use them in some of my match rifles at the suggestion of a good friend and shooting author. The performance is fantastic, the price is just gravy.

You must be sure to seat them fully.

johnho
12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I use them in my semi auto pistols but they don't work well in my revolvers. Too hard it seems. But Winchersters work fine, I find Wolf harder than Winchesters and about like CCI.

ku4hx
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
The only problem I've ever had with primer ignition was with Winchester and Wolf primers in my striker fired pistols. In many thousand of loadings, I've had a mere handful of "duds" with each. I suppose on the order of 5 per 1,000. Not very many but with Federal and CCI I've never had a properly assembled primer misfire.

With CCI I've had two over the years missing the anvil so no matter how you look at it, it's a c rap-shoot with nothing being perfect. But I still sold all my Wolf primers and bought Federal as replacements. My Winchester LP primers are limited to hammer-fired guns.

Bad Water Bill
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I must be doing something wrong.

A couple years ago Wolfe primers were on sale so I got a bunch. Every time I go to the range I will be asked "Why are you doing so much dry firing" I show them the ammo box with 30-40% of the Wolfe primed cartridges dented BUT not fired.

The ammo loaded with anyone elses primers always has and still does go bang.

Yes I have tried the concave seater punch also with 0 different results.

Only 4, 500 of those primers to go. :evil::evil:

Recluse
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I must be doing something wrong.

A couple years ago Wolfe primers were on sale so I got a bunch. Every time I go to the range I will be asked "Why are you doing so much dry firing" I show them the ammo box with 30-40% of the Wolfe primed cartridges dented BUT not fired.

The ammo loaded with anyone elses primers always has and still does go bang.

Yes I have tried the concave seater punch also with 0 different results.

Only 4, 500 of those primers to go. :evil::evil:

Bill,

If those are small pistol primers you're having trouble with, Wolf did have a bad batch get loose from them. This was during the Obama Scare after the anointment when primers were scarce.

I had the same problem. One member here, brand new at the time, jumped all over me for "having no experience reloading" and that I wasn't seating them "correctly" and that I just simply had no idea what I was doing behind a reloading bench.

:)

Turns out Wolf had a bad QC run on SPP. They were one-hundred percent gracious, exchanged me a box, apologized sincerely and profusely and I have no reason to complain.

I have not tried any of their other primers, but I have also heard that their large rifle primers are top-shelf. I just don't like primers that are that hard. I also don't like Remington primers, for the same reason.

:coffee:

Bad Water Bill
12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately I bought a case of small rifle primers so only have 4,800 left to go. Well at least I can check out if I have developed a flinch factor when dry firing for the next several years. Paper targets do not move when they hear the firing pin drop.

Wireman134
12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Don't buy any Wolf primers so there will be more for me...