PDA

View Full Version : Case conversion ?

Jim
02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I've heard that '06 cases can be cut down to make .45 ACP cases. The cutting down part I understand. Is there anything else to this in the way of machine work?

Thanks,
Jim

Scrounger
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I've heard that '06 cases can be cut down to make .45 ACP cases. The cutting down part I understand. Is there anything else to this in the way of machine work?

Thanks,
Jim

A cut down .30-06 (or .308) case will be a lot thicker at what is now the neck. It will need to be reamed big time. As long as there is a ,45 ACP case available, I wouldn't even consider cutting down a rifle case to make one.

Jim
02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, scrounger, what I've got on my mind is a rather odd project. I just aquired an old Colt DA revolver chambered for, well, I'm not sure. It's .45, that's for sure. But it seems the cylinder chambers are bored straight through. I also know that the rear face of the cylinder has been machined back to facilitate .45 ACPs with full or half moon clips.
I wonder, is it possible to modify '06 cases to .45 Colt lengths and use clips? The head space on the cylinder will accomadate that. The chamber depth will accomadate the length of the old peacemaker rounds.
It would sure be a wierd project, but then, I love to tinker. If I could get the cases modified as described, I'd load 230 FMJs in 'em to about a thousand FPS.
I'm thinkin the case wall at the location on an '06 case or even a .308 case would be thin enough to negate reaming to seat a 230 FMJ. I haven't checked my books yet, but I do know that there's a wide variety of cases that have the rimless .473 head. There should be something out there that's short enough to facilitate this wild hair idea I have.

Jim

leftiye
02-24-2007, 09:27 PM
How do the (literally) cylinders measure up as relates to barrel dimensions? Unless the gun is unexpectedly strong your longer cases would suffer from oversized capacity as the .45 Colt did until the new stronger revolters came along lately, and the 45-70 does with light loads.

Jim
02-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Leftiye,
if my plan works, I'll use a relatively slow powder with a filler. This whole thing is really a weird idea, but I've done some strange stuff like this before and found out I could make it work. The kick off is finding a .473 head case I can start with. I'm hoping I can find such a case that doesn't require reaming. That would make it more trouble than it's worth.
As for matching dimensions, I just paid for the pistol yesterday and turned it around at the gunshop for Parkerizing. I'll have to wait 'till next friday to get it home and mike the chambers and slug the bore. The bore and riflings are immaculate to my surprise. I stuck a bore light in it and the corners between the lands and grooves are almost machine perfect. I was amazed as the pistol saw military service during WW1 and the blueing is pretty much gone.
I'm not up to speed yet on posting pics here, but if you'll PM me your email addy, I'll send you a few pics that I shot at the gunshop counter before I turned it around.

Jim

Scrounger
02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
You're right, I don't understand and I probably don't want to try.... If a .30-06 case shortened to .45 ACP length will work with clips, then why wouldn't an honest to God .45 ACP case?????
I'm outta here...

dk17hmr
02-24-2007, 11:08 PM
45 Win Mag has the same case head as the ACP and it is .3" longer then the acp, but it is still shorter then 45 Colt.

I am with Scrounger if it is the same case head just use 45 ACP or get 45 Super brass and load with that.

Treeman
02-24-2007, 11:15 PM
30-06 or .308 cases have been used in Colt New Service revolvers to make shot loads. If the cylinders are chambered normally then a shoulder forms in the cut off rifle case upon firing. If the cylinders are bored straight trough you are always dependent upon moon clips for headspacing....but that works fine. The only issue in using cylinder length cases with ball loadings is whether or not there is clearance for the brass to enter the chamber and expand to release the bullet. Measure and see.

KCSO
02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I used a 45 win mag case in a 45 LC Smith converted to take full moon clips. This puts the bullet close to the end of the cylinder and practicaly eliminated leading. Tis was one of the best woods and hunting guns I ever had. With 8.5 of Unique and a 255 semi wadcutter it would drop anyting in this country and I could use it with light loads for samll game and with shot cups for rats and such. If you tried to use 30-06 brass you would have to do like we did making auto mag cases in the old days and get a forming and reamng die from RCBS.

Phil
02-25-2007, 12:45 AM
If I remember correctly, the first batch of M1917 revolvers were bored straight through and depended on the half moon clips for proper operation. All later production runs were set up with shoulders so the revolver could be used without the clips.

Cheers,

Phil

Jim
02-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Phil,
I do believe this revolver is bored straight through as the ones you described. When it gets back, I'll put the calipers on it and check things out. Actually, I hope that's the case. It will give me some options that I wouldn't have with throated chambers.

Treeman,
You are dead on, Sir. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping the chambers are bored straight through.

KCSO,
Like Treeman, you're right on target. I haven't gotten to my books yet to investigate case options, but the .45 Win. Mags might be the ticket.

I was told the Parkerizing would be done and the pistol returned by closing time Thursday coming. I'll let y'all know in a week or so what the outcome is if you're interested.

Jim

Ed Barrett
02-25-2007, 11:50 AM
You are talking about using a FMJ bullet. I read in the NRA guide to pistols and revolvers that the 45 auto rim, which was made to negate the use of half moon clips, was always loaded with lead bullets. Because the barrels of the of the revolvers were fairly soft. Also some of the tricks they used in chambering the cylinders was to keep the pressure down when shooting .45 ball ammo.

lar45
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
You could also look at the 44 Auto Mag cases from Starline. They will be longer than the 45 Win mag. I think you are going to have to inside ream if you use the 30-06 or 308 case to start from. An easy way to find out is take a tubeing cutter and cut a couple of cases down to the length you want. De bur, then run a 45 expander die in, seat a bullet and measure the outside of the case.
I have a 44 Automag and have the RCBS trim and ream dies. It is a royal pain to inside ream an quantity of cases.
There are some guys in Canada that made a 45-08 for heavy loads in a 1911 frame. they cut 308 cases, then inside ream and load a 200 SWC with Longshot to either 1100 or 1300(don't remember right now). The guy I talked with was paying $1 each for modified cases. He sent me a couple to look over and they did not have the same internal capacity. One was a 243 and the other a 308. I don't know if he measured the water capacity or not, but the loads must have varied some.
For hot loads in a standard 45 acp case length, the TZZ military cases work very well. I sent him some to try in his 45-08, but don't know if they ever got tried.

I'm assumeing that the cylinder won't take a regular 45 Colt rim thickness if it is setup for full moon clips. the 307 and 356 Win cases have a rim that is very close to the 45 Colt. There are the 460 S&W cases that I'm guessing wouldn't be as thick if cut down.

when you get the gun back, you'll have to measure everything and see what can work. Maybe do a chamber cast of the cylinder's chambers to see exactly what's inside.

Jim
02-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Lar,
Nice info, bud! Thanks a lot!

Jim