PDA

View Full Version : Lube getting under bullet in die

jonk
12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone else have a problem with lube buildup under the base of the bullet in the bullet sizing die on Lyman or RCBS units? I find after 8 or 10 bullets I start to get globs sticking to the base of the bullet, and have to scrape excess lube out of the die with a small screwdriver.

fishnbob
12-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it happens to me. In my case, it's a combination of things. Bevel base bollits are the worst culprits. Next is heating the carnuba red too warm, followed by putting too much pressure on the pressure screw and a combination of "ALL OF THE ABOVE'. If your boolit base ain't filled out perfectly, that can cause a leak. Sometimes you can look down at the knock out pin and the lube will be caked on that. Just cut down on heat & pressure and if they don't fill the groove enough, turn them about 1/4 turn and relube them rather than turning up the pressure. Basically use as little heat and as little pressure as possible. If you ain't using a hard lube such as CR, maybe you need to melt it down and add some beeswax to stiffen it up.

Reload3006
12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
fishnbob has the answer. Too much pressure back off and it will help alot.

stubshaft
12-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Also adjust the depth so the the boolit base is not at the lube port when you reach the bottom of the stroke.

alfloyd
12-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Also, if your boolit base is not flat it will let lube get under the boolit.
You may need to have the die pin dished out to help it seal only on the outside rim of the boolit base. This is what I do to help keep the lube off the pin.

Lafaun

GP100man
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Also adjust the depth so the the boolit base is not at the lube port when you reach the bottom of the stroke.

I start with the boolit hi in the die then adjust down .

& as mentioned heat & pressure plays a part also .

After gettin a "feel" for the slightest pressure ya can use hit the wrench when the boolit is all the way down into the adjusted die .

JerryW
12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Pan lube. JerryW

Char-Gar
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Less pressure on the lube and more pressure on the handle holding the bullet down, will drastically cut down on the lube on the base of the bullet. However, I always wipe the base of each bullet no matter what, before it is seated in the case.

Lizard333
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Less pressure on the lube and more pressure on the handle holding the bullet down, will drastically cut down on the lube on the base of the bullet. However, I always wipe the base of each bullet no matter what, before it is seated in the case.

This is good advice. I keep a rag next to my 4500 and wipe every boolit base. Only takes a second and it ensures all the bases are free from lube. I had a 44 mag round that must have had a glob of lube on the base and I loaded it. Well it ended up getting put in my redhawk at the end of shooting session, with the pistol a little on the warm side. Long story short it fouled my powder and caused a squib load. No damage to my pistol but sure put a damper on the end of a good day.

DLCTEX
12-16-2011, 10:22 AM
The first thing to check is to see if the push rod ("I" part?)is turned correctly, the concave end up. I have used a Styrofoam disc cut from a take out tray under the boolit. It will conform to the base of the boolit and create a seal of sorts.

gl89aw
12-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I had that problem, especially after re-filling with lube, I use a soft 50/50 and when I would crank up the pressure, air in the cyl. would keep pressure on the lube all the time. I found that once the air was out that if I would not crank the screw until the bullet was all the way down that it worked a lot better. I now push the bullet down, turn the screw about a 1/32 or so of a turn then bring it back up, you get a feel pretty quickly on how much to turn to fill in the lube grooves.If you look at how a Star works it doesn't let lube into the ports until it gets to the bottom of its stroke. I read in other areas about heating the lube and pouring it into the sizer and I believe I will do this in the future.