PDA

View Full Version : Re-bore??

750k2
12-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Who has had a barrel re-bored and what were your results?
I have a 1" across 50 that I'm thinking of opening up.
Anyone know the largest one can safely go?
Who does such work with round bottom rifling?

excess650
12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Green Mountain makes 1" in .58cal, so I'll guess that you can go that big depending upon your existing breech plug threads.

Robert Hoyt in Fairfield, Pa makes barrels, relines, rebores and does both round bottom and flat bottom grooves. He also does gain twist.

cdet69
12-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Cheaper to just to buy a new barrel.

bob208
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
i think you would be better to check with bob hoyt. he does them cheaper then a new barrel.

750k2
12-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Guess I get on the phone Mon.
Thanks guys
:drinks:

Newtire
12-11-2011, 11:11 AM

I see you have round bottom rifling. I don't know if this will work in your case then. Here goes anyway.

I took an introductory class on machining a few years ago and one of the instructors showed me how to make a cutter to fresh out the rifling. I made it out of a piece of a file and it looked about the same as a chain saw tooth without a raker tooth behind it. I imbedded it into a 3/8" dowel rod and pushed and then pulled it back out each groove until it stopped cutting. Then pulled it out and shimmed it with paper and redid it. I just took my time and it eventually got down to steel. This was in my Great Grandpa's old .38 target rifle with a Remington cast steel barrel. It made a huge difference in the way it shot.

I have lost the cutter and have searched the web for information on anyone else who has done this but haven't found anyone yet. I know it was a common practice in the old days.

longbow
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Newtire:

The method you describe is similar to the old rifling bench method using a hook cutter and paper shims.

I decided to take a look on the internet because I am curious too but found little on "freshing" or recutting except general descriptions of using either a dowel as you describe or casting a lead slug in the bore then cutting one land to allow insertion of a hook cutter. The slug and cutter are then run through the bore to deepen existing rifling using the existing rifling as a guide. Take a few strokes then rotate to next groove until all are done, shim cutter, start over until the desired depth is reached.

There is quite a bit of good information on making rifling benches and I have a copy of the Toad Hall book and video which I hope to put to use. If you are interested, link here:

http://toadhallrifleshop.com/

Longbow

357maximum
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
See post #8 for the contact info you may need.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23141

mellonhead
12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Have you thought about going smooth bore? I had John Taylor rebore my 50 cal, 1" across the flats, Renegade barrel to 62 cal. smooth and it is great with shot and patched balls.

Toby

451whitworth
12-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Bob Hoyt rebored/rifled a frosted .50 cal T/C Renegade barrel for me in Oct. of '09. i had him rebore to .58 and 1-90" twist with .007" rifling depth, narrow lands and wide grooves. it clover leafs .575" PRB's at 50 yards with 120gr. Goex and pillow ticking patch. price: $115.

Good Cheer
12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Hoyt rebored a 1" TC barrel for me to .58. Lovely workmanship. Been working too many hours to get it settled in but soon, very soon.

He has also rifled a smoothbore .62 and sleeved a .54 to .458 fast twist. Very, very nice.

nanuk
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I have a book buy a ML maker

it details the machine to rifle from scratch a bored barrel, and also how to drill and ream first

he uses a cutter tooth that is not hooked, but like a triangle so it kinda cuts on the pull and push.

a little at a time, and many many strokes.

it makes an interesting read.

I have some barrel material, and just need a Roundtuit to make the machine.

750k2
12-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Have you thought about going smooth bore? I had John Taylor rebore my 50 cal, 1" across the flats, Renegade barrel to 62 cal. smooth and it is great with shot and patched balls.

Toby

Been in search mode big time and this is where I am now leaning.
Gotta make some calls - I gotta find someone who'll do the un-breeching and
bolster removal - don't really want to tackle that if I can help it.
I know what that would lead to[smilie=1:

mellonhead
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
John Taylor is a member here. I'll PM you contact info. He removed the breech and bored mine then reinstalled breech. I am planning another one as soon as I find the right donor gun.

Toby

12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Hoyt did a .50 Renegade to a .60 rifled bore w/ 1-60 twist. What a joy to shoot. Far cheaper than a new barrel and, frankly, better than almost any new factory barrel. You choose the rate of twist or go on Bob's recommendation. (Go with whatever Bob suggests.) He does great work.

750k2
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
John Taylor is a member here. I'll PM you contact info. He removed the breech and bored mine then reinstalled breech. I am planning another one as soon as I find the right donor gun.

Toby

Well as usual my projects seldom end up on a straight path.
If all goes as hoped I'll venture into the smoothbore world.
Was going to have a smoothrifle built but this will kill two birds.
What to do with my mountain rifle as it sits to much since I use
my J.P.Beck for most all my deer hunting and don't have to drop
a big coin having a flint smoothie built.
I love this place:groner:

nanuk
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
You guys are so lucky to have resources like that

I'd hate to think how expensive it would be to have that work done up here

bob208
12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
hoyt can unbreach your barrel. i did it when i worked for him.

wgr
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM

how deep your dove tails are cut, holes drilled ans ect. will tell you how much you can go

750k2
12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Once again the road turns - going to have this opened and rifled to
whatever is possible. Even if it means a custom mould.
Am just going to have a smoothie made - just can't do it to a short bbl.
Just wouldn't feel right without 42+ inches hanging out there.
Now I have to get in line somewhere.
Just have to decide on the period now:groner: