PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag/ Unique SRH 9.5" estimated vel

Indybear
12-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Anyone have chrono data for a SRH 9.5", Lee TL-430-240, WW+2%+WC, 45/45/10, Herc Unique, CCI 300 and top grove crimp? I'm looking for the 8.8-10.2 range.

I've seen at lot of numbers for a 7.5" barrel and they are all over the place. I know I need to buy a chrono but I do not have access to a range that will allow me to use it.

Maven
12-11-2011, 10:43 AM
8.0gr. Unique with that Lee CB -> a tad over 1,000fps in my 10.5" bbl'ed. Ruger SBH. Also, 11.9gr. Blue Dot with either the Lyman or RCBS Keith CB's (plain base) -> 1,200fps from the same gun.

Indybear
12-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I was guessing around 1050+ for my 8.8+ loads.

Are you using the new "cleaner" burning Unique? When I load 8.2 or less my cases come out shooty, I get light leading and my gun gets so dirty I can not deal with it. When I go up to 8.5+ it cleans right up and the leading goes away completely and the groups really tighten up.

selmerfan
12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
That's because you're reaching pressures where it burns well.

Larry Gibson
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
That's because you're reaching pressures where it burns well.

+1, selmerfan is correct.

Larry Gibson

Indybear
01-15-2012, 09:21 PM
My original plan was to use 21.5 H110 under a Lee 310 GC in this new SRH for hog hunting but I’m concerned about shot placement and quick recovery for a follow-on due to the heavy recoil. Since I had a fairly large collection of different commercial and home cast 240-250 .430 LSWC I decided to give Elmer Keith’s old load a try....

Unfortunely, the same boolits that I could push with up to 10.2 of Unique in other guns (non-Ruger), leaded like crazy in this SRH at less than 9. Since I could not even hit Keith’s old target load, it seemed pointless to continue to 2400. After scanning these forums it seems the Rugers require a .431 CB or larger to shoot well. If this is true I am disappointed in my purchase (should have gotten a used DW) since none of my molds will drop a boolit that large. I know I can lap out a mold and sizing die but what a pain and I don’t want to melt down the 1000s I already have in boxes.

I have done the old boolit drop in the cylinder test and it seems just right for a .430 boolit… I tried to slug the bore a couple of times and it seems to come in right at .4295 but I suspect closer to .430

Should I try the Lee 310 GCs with 2400 for reduced recoil? Starting load suggestions?
Ranch dip a LSWC in LLA for some extra lube, try with 2400 and have the chore boy handy clean up the mess ? Additional break in time? Gasp….The “J” word maybe?

softpoint
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
You may switch to 2400, or 4227 and eliminate leading problems. Some of my guns will lead like crazy with unique or Herco, switch to 2400, ALL of the leading goes away.:coffeecom

Rico1950
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
If your cylinder throats are .430" and you don't have barrel constriction @ the threads you should be fine. What BHN are you using with the Unique loads? What lube?

Indybear
01-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I have 6 different commercial cast "k" LSWC I bought from local suppliers about 25+ years ago. They range in hardness from 12 to 22 and no idea what the lube is. They all have a bevel base which as I understand is the kiss of death. The cast I make at home are Lee TL240, 240-2R, 214 and the big 310 and they come out about 15-17 from WW+1-2%+WC. I triple coat them with 45/45/10 and sometimes LLA when I'm lazy. The cast LSWC 245 (Lyman mold?) I traded a friend are lubed with some home brew NRA like lube and are extremely hard. He said he heat treats them in a toaster oven @ 450.

You would think one of these could be launched out of the SRH at more 1,100. Couple of these worked great in other guns at a near max load of 296.

I think you are on to something about the contrition @ the threads and the barrel finish. I really don't want to fire lap a new gun but I suspect that will be the fix.

Never used 2400 before but like how it meters. Headed to the range this Friday to give it a try. Wish me luck and thanks for the feedback....

Indybear
02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Tried 2400 and still no luck. Used every CB I have starting with a very light load all the way up to 19.6 and I still get leading in the threaded section of the barrel after just a few rounds. Accuracy did not drop off nearly as fast as it did with unique but I get about the same amount of leading regardless of powder, velocity, CB or lube.

Is this a common issue with the stainless Rugers? It is built like a tank but the finish in the barrel is not nearly as nice as the DWs, Smiths or even a Taurus.

I've only put about 20 condoms down the tube but I'm tempted to burn some up from my old stash but it seems like a huge waste especially not knowing if it will fix the issue.

Any suggestion? Since this is a new gun I really do not want to attempt something extreme like fire lapping or hand lapping.

Never owned a 44 before that I could not get to sing with some CB.

Wolfer
02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't have a 44 mag so I'm gonna be talking a little out of line. I do have a 44 spl and 45 colt.
I've had better luck keeping leading down with softer rather than harder. Commercial bevel base
are almost a sure bet to lead in my guns. Elmer used 16-1 in is heavy load bhn of about 10 I believe and he called it hard cast.
That's pretty soft today but works as well as then
The 45 I lapped the barrel restriction out and I have no leading, the 44 I just shot 300 j- things down
range to slick the barrel up a little. I have to clean it every 500 rds or so.
I may go ahead and lap it someday

Indybear
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
How did you lap you 45? Was it stainless?

I've read about the fire lapping process but firing an abrasive down a new barrel is a little scary and seems like a good way to screw up a gun.

I'm going to load up some hot Js and put a few down range. My issue is I do not have a lot of one weight and brand and it is going to take a lot of die adjusting to build enough to do much good.

Would GC lead would work almost as well?

How about J-B paste and a lot of elbow grease?

Wolfer
02-08-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't think JB nor gas checked would work.
No, my gun is blue
I tried fire lapping but after about 70 rds I couldn't tell much difference so I went ahead and
lead lapped it. My restriction was pretty bad, I could start a .454 RB in the muzzle and push it about 2" then it would literally fall down and hit the restriction with a thunk. I spent a good part of a Saturday getting to a nice even push all the way down the bore. It's now the best shooting handgun I've ever owned and I get no leading

Wolfer
02-08-2012, 08:12 PM
If you get on Beartooth Bullets web site and go to tech notes Marshall has a very good
article ( Ruger - Americas best do it yourself kit ). Worth reading.
About the only thing I do different is my honing rod is wood instead of steel.

I personally have no qualms about fire lapping or lead lapping but prefer lead lapping because
I can work only on my trouble spots instead of the whole barrel.

I believe that when you buy a premium barrel it has been lapped at the factory.