PDA

View Full Version : Finally snagged a 1903

wallenba
12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
It all happened so fast. With all my holiday shopping done, and my back feeling much better, I stopped in my favorite local dealer to see what came in. A 1917 Eddystone jumped out at me with an OK price. I ended up taking it home. Going out the door I was told a 1903 might be coming in the next day. When I got home I went over my finances and saw that I might swing that too if the price was right. Being forewarned I showed up at 4 PM the next day with my slugging kit. They did indeed get it in. A real handsome Remington made 1903 dated 1942. It slugged .308, and the muzzle fit a .300- pin gage snugly. I may have paid too much ($900) but it's a real fine piece.

MtGun44
12-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Nice guns. I am amazed that you could slug it before buying. That is great.

I picked up a cousin today. P14 with a essentially mint bore. I will bet your '03 will be
a real shooter. Not sure what the expected performance from a P-14 will be but my
1917 US Enfield is not as accurate as my 1903s.

Bill

wallenba
12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Nice guns. I am amazed that you could slug it before buying. That is great.

I picked up a cousin today. P14 with a essentially mint bore. I will bet your '03 will be
a real shooter. Not sure what the expected performance from a P-14 will be but my
1917 US Enfield is not as accurate as my 1903s.

Bill

Bill, I have not figured out the 1917's groove diameter yet, it's a five groove. The good news is, it's tightest at the muzzle.
The dealer is a friend of mine of more than thirty years, so I get a little extra leeway. He knows I'm a buyer and not a looky-lou too.
My first loads may have to be J's. It's getting fearsome cold up here, my backs been giving me fits and there is an indoor fifty yarder just a mile from my house, but, they don't allow cast. I don't want to, as I believe they speed up the wear on the bores.

PatMarlin
12-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Congrats Dutch!

I just passed on a 40's 03. I just love em. I know I will regret it, but funds are to tight right now.

plain old dave
12-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't want to, as I believe they speed up the wear on the bores.

Accepted Wisdom is that 1K rounds of issue ball= 1 number on Throat Erosion. Depending on several factors a new bore can measure from .05 to maybe 2 on the gage. TE of 5 or less will still win a Vintage Military match, and I have seen barrels with significantly higher readings than 5 still shoot remarkably well. I have never been convinced that TE is the major issue the military insists it is. The jackets don't erode the steel, the fire from the powder does. Your Remington *probably* spent her military career being carried by MPs, engineers or other supply troops and accordingly not shot as much as a similar vintage M1 Garand. Sounds like your Muzzle Erosion is a 0 or .5 at most, but what's the current TE?

wallenba
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Accepted Wisdom is that 1K rounds of issue ball= 1 number on Throat Erosion. but what's the current TE?

Dave, I'm not currently equipped to determine that. I'll have to figure that one out.
Brownells has a gauge for about $63, but does not specify if it works for an 03.

leadman
12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
A few jacketed bullets won't hurt it. Might smooth it out a bit if there is any corrosion or pitting.
I shoot reduced loads of H4895 in my Garand and 1903s when called for. I have found 38grs to be a good load with no filler needed.

If you are happy with the purchase then it was not too high for you. The really nice guns are getting scarce so get 'em while you can.

I've been thinking on getting a P17 but I just don't like the apperarnce of the rear sight area.

Four Fingers of Death
12-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice pair of rifles. I have only ever seen one 03 with a good barrel and I bought it. Mine is also a 1942 Remington. I have several Enfields, my P14 is an Eddystone, but my M17s are Remingtons. Great rifles. I haven't had a face off yet, I'm suspecting the 03 will be the most accurate, but the M17s are no slouches either.

PatMarlin
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
You get shook up any by the earth quake last night Mick?

Four Fingers of Death
12-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Nope! Didn't even hear about it, must have been asleep. Thanks for asking.