PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M-95 Stutzen carbine........

HiVelocity
12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Need some help here on this rifle.

I have one I'm getting ready to sell but don't know enough about it, really.

Someone, back many years ago, dropped this rifle into a really beautiful hand carved, hand checkered Monte Carlo Mannlicher stock.

I'm guessing its 8mm (something) probably not 8mm Mauser.

Comments please? Experience with one?

Thanks,

HV

wallenba
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
If it has a large 'S' stamped on the reciever it is 8x56R MM Hungarian caliber http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713505/bertram-reloading-brass-8x56mm-rimmed-hungarian-box-of-20 . Otherwise it would be the earlier 8x50R MM chambering .

There are some other rarer chamberings as well, please read the article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr-Mannlicher_M1895

HiVelocity
12-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Dutch

Thanks for the information; looks like, if I keep it, it may be rebarrelled to another more common caliber.

Thanks again,

HV:drinks:

KCSO
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Just a note on rebarreling. With the bolt face and current extractor you are kind of limited as to the ctg. I had no problems with 30-40 and above but 30-30 was too small. In addition the shell needs to feed from the clip and I had a devil of a time adjusting the clips to feed 410 shells and after a few uses they iron out and don't feed well. If I were going to do another one I would go with 7.62 russian of 30-40 Krag. If I went with 7.62 russian I would not go with full loads a nd jacketed slugs as the M95 has pretty weak extraction and the original ctg has a good taper to it. Actually there is nothing wrong with 8MM Styer if you get some Graf's brass and a good bullet mould, it will easily match 30-40 ballistics or do a little better.

Bret4207
12-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I can' for the life of me think WHY you'd want to rebarrel! We live in the Golden Age of handloading, an odd cartridge is no hindrance.

BudRow
12-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Ditto what Bret4207 said

wallenba
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
HV, often overlooked when buying these, or they just get lost, is the stripper clip. It's shown on page six of this site http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=5932
It is actually more like an en-bloc, as it is inserted into the magazine well, loaded, and falls out the bottom when the last cartridge is chambered (sounds just like an M1 block hitting the ground ). Also, I find it easier to open the bolt on a fired round by pulling the re-cocker out first. It takes less effort, and I can get the brass before it's sent into the next county.
And unless you know the trick to reinserting the bolt, I would not try removing it for now. The bolt head will rotate out of position and won't go straight back in. You will have to pull the bolt head out while turning it to line up. It can be held in place with a dime placed in the gap, and CAREFULLY reinserted.

wallenba
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Just one more note of caution HV. It's a good idea to not chamber rounds in this rifle by single feeding them and letting the extractor ride over the rim. Extractors in these are prone to breakage that way, and they are getting hard to find. Let the bolt pick it up from the clip.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I have a Ferlach Guild stalking carbine with similar licht colored Euro walnut in 8 X 50 R Austrian. Mine has double set triggers, horn stock tip, engraved rib, folding sights, and shoots very nicely. No military markings. I use Sierra's 8mm j bullets in the 8 X 50 R case.

It might be better to determine your caliber, not change anything, buy Redding custom dies, and enjoy a rifle that has few peers left in the world.

BvT

badgeredd
12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Lee makes dies for the 8x56R Hungarian. One can size 338 cast boolits down to fit the bore. So why not reload for it? My rifle has a rather fat groove diamet but with a custom sizer and a little patience, she goes bang and so far has shown promise in the accuracy department. I am also going to try some regulat cast 8mm boolit paper patched up to the corect diameter. It seems to me that this should yield another avenue and option for loading.

Edd

badgeredd
12-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I can' for the life of me think WHY you'd want to rebarrel! We live in the Golden Age of handloading, an odd cartridge is no hindrance.

It seems I have started to seek out odd calibers and rifles that shoot the same. Recently a friend got me started on paper patching and it has opened up a whole new world of solutions for some of the less favored calibers and rifles.

Edd

Dschuttig
12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
There was a group buy a few years back for the oldfeller boolit for this caliber. I wish I had of gotten in on it back then. I put a 8x56r mold suggestion in the group buy discussion area if any has any interest in this.. Dan

mac60
12-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Lee makes a mold for 8x56R (#90775).

Dschuttig
12-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, but it doesn't cast large enough for most of the 8x56r rifles out there. The lee mold is better suited for the 8mm lebel and siamese mausers, ect. They have bore diameters that tend to run around .327. Most 8x56r rifles are around .331-2.

mac60
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Couldn't it lapped or beagled?

Dschuttig
12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
It could..... But mine casts around .328. You would need to make 4/1000 to fit. Plus, the lee bullet wasn't really designed for the 8x56r, it's just thier baic rifle bullet design sized different. The steyr m95's have really deep rifling, and the oldfeller bullet was designed to fit it well.