PDA

View Full Version : Question for 44Man

Pepe Ray
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
We've learned of the reasons why so many 45 Colt shooters/re loaders have problems getting accuracy from their revolvers. In searching for tools to help me in that quest I found that Lyman no longer makes the standard IE.steel rather than carbide, sizer/decapper die. Oh well, I waited too long. I guess I'll just manage by neck sizing.

With that said I must ask if the 44Mag will give me a similar problem? IT seems to me that all of the current crop of dies are made for J####d projectiles. Are there options open other than ordering custom made?

I've never loaded 44 anything. I have a random selection of 2nd hand tools that are handy for exploring, but my brother has a S&W M29 x83/8" which he's decided has become too expensive to feed. I'd like to help him but need advice on buying the right dies.

Thanks for whatever you can share.
Pepe Ray

Dale53
12-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I have several .44 magnums (both Ruger and Smith) and they work just fine with standard Carbide Dies (I have Lee, Dillon and Lyman dies - all work well).

The Lees are the least expensive but really have no downside. Dillon has some advantages (you can pop the top for cleaning without losing adjustment). However, Dillon's are a bit pricy.

Most .44 Magnum revolvers were made with the correct dimensions to start with. That does NOT hold true for most .45 Colt revolvers regardless of the make. That has horribly handicapped the .45 Colt cartridge for over a hundred years. it is only recently that we have learned most of what ails these revolvers.

On the other hand, when you DO get these revolvers sorted out, then the .45 Colt can come into it's own. I have a couple that work extremely well by any standard (after some work on the cylinder throats).

FWIW
Dale53

LUBEDUDE
12-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Pepe - I guess that I never got the memo. I did not know that I was handicapped using carbide dies.
They work great for my 45 Colt, 44 Mag/Spl, 357,38, 45 ACP, and 9mm.

You can however find steel/non-carbide dies all day long on ebay at bargin prices. In fact, you have to hunt to find the carbide.

Good Hunting