PDA

View Full Version : Bl550

odis
12-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm curious what people on this site think of this press. Is it a viable alternative to other "turret" presses on the market and will it create accurate ammo on a par with a single stage press? I already own a square deal for my pistols and am thinking about getting something for my rifles that will be faster then my rock chucker but with the same quality.

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 03:44 PM
First, let me say that I am a huge Dillon fan... That said, I don't recommend the BL550 unless you already manually prime and manually measure powder charges. If you do, and plan to continue to do it, the BL550 would greatly increase your output. On the other hand, if you want to prime on the press, get an RL550, even if you don't want to use the powder measure. You can easily sell it, and get top money for it.

I guess what I am saying, is it depends on what YOU need.

odis
12-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I reload rifle ammo on a rock chucker so I manually prime and and charge cases, what I'm getting at is the Dillon press capable of creating ammo as good as my O frame if I manually measure powder and prime. I've always wondered about pop out tool heads.

W.R.Buchanan
12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes it will make ammo that is as good or better than you RC! The removable tool heads index very well into the press frame.

The other point about the BL550 is that if you want to upgrade it to run like a RL550 you can buy all the piece parts to do it,,, BUT,,, It will cost you more than just buying the RL550 outright, and like Brian said you can sell the PM on ebay probably for more than they cost direct from Dillon. No accounting for Ebay buyers getting caught in the 'moment'!

I'd keep the PM as you will use it. They are a very good powder measure and with ball powders will easily hold +/-.1 gr all day long. Nothing works any better than that!

Also Dillon equipment retains it's value just about better than any other kind of machine due to their NO BS warantee and interchangability and availability of parts.

IMHO some of the best designed and made tools for reloading you can buy.

Randy

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Although many will say no, I say yes. One "trick" is to load the same way everytime with every round. The first round you load may be slightly different that the 4th round, because the shellplate isn't full until you are on the 4th round. The differences will be minute. ...unless you load one round at a time, using 4 pulls for each. Unless you are competing in bench rest 500 yard competitions, I doubt you would notice any minute differences. You would be better served weighing individual bullets, perfecting neck concentricity, and neck tension, among other things.

Of course, one way to eliminate the removable toolhead issue would be to use a Dillon 450.

Like many things, it depends on your definition of perfection. I think a Dillon 550 would serve you well. If you are only reloading one caliber, a Dillon 450 may be a more affordable option. They are often available without priming or powder systems. If you are going to load several cailbers, the removable toolheads on the 550 would be more convenient.

What do you use your ammo for?

And let us know what you decide. :-)

odis
12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I deer hunt but I just joined a local club that has a range where I can shoot at 300 yards. I'm getting very close too retirement and I'm expanding my hobbies. I plan too use the Rock Chucker for dedicated chores.

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
In retirement you'll have more time to reload or shoot. Which one do you like to do more? :-)

odis
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Actually in retirement I will have more time to reload AND shoot, to answer your question though I prefer shooting.

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
It was sort of a rhetorical question. Some folks actually enjoy the whole reloading process and prefer to use a single stage press. I on the other hand, want to crank out quality ammo quickly. I enjoy reloading, but not as much as I enjoy "unloading" the ammo. If you want to shoot a LOT, and don't enjoy the reloading precess as much as the shooting, I highly recommend a progressive press.

Only you can weigh the cost/time trade-off. How much is your time worth to you? If you are going to shoot a LOT more, do you really WANT to continue loading on a single stage? Just some questions to ponder. I believe you will enjoy reloading on a progressive, and you may wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :-)

odis
12-10-2011, 10:15 PM
It was sort of a rhetorical question. Some folks actually enjoy the whole reloading process and prefer to use a single stage press. I on the other hand, want to crank out quality ammo quickly. I enjoy reloading, but not as much as I enjoy "unloading" the ammo. If you want to shoot a LOT, and don't enjoy the reloading precess as much as the shooting, I highly recommend a progressive press.

Only you can weigh the cost/time trade-off. How much is your time worth to you? If you are going to shoot a LOT more, do you really WANT to continue loading on a single stage? Just some questions to ponder. I believe you will enjoy reloading on a progressive, and you may wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :-)Well I did post that I have a lot of experience with the Square Deal, my Dillon customer number is in the low 10,000 range, their service to me has made a very loyal customer out of me. I'm just curious if a turret system which has always intrigued me can load ammo as well as a single stage, seeing as it can be converted at a later date to a progressive and it is a Dillon I think I have made up my mind.

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I guess the BL550, as they sell it, technically is a turret press. You can change out the multi-purpose shellplate it comes with for a standard 550 shellplate and it becomes a true progressive, but without automatic priming and powder functions. It does have a primer seating function, and comes with a powder die and funnel, so you can do those functions on the press.

It still comes down to my first post though. If you plan to continue manually priming and manually measuring powder charges, the BL550 makes sense. If you think you'll ever want to use the auto prime or auto powder systems, the RL550 makes more sense.

As Randy pointed out, it costs a lot more to upgrade later.

Hope we helped. I expected more folks to chime in. Maybe they are still hunting. :-)

Happy loading!

Alvarez Kelly
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Well I did post that I have a lot of experience with the Square Deal...

Yes, you did. In post number 1. Sorry if I offended. Wasn't my intent. Just offering an opinion, for what's it's worth.

Merry Christmas. :-)

LUBEDUDE
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Looks like Mr Kelly just about covered it.

Just to pile on a little; just because the 450 is not made anymore does not make it a dog. Without that removeable toolhead, there is no wiggle room up top. Sure helps the accuracy. Downside, not too handy if you want to change calibers.

For one caliber and the price you can pick them up at, they are a good value.

odis
12-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I wasn't offended by any of the replys. Thanks for the info I was just curious about the precision of the 550 tool head. I will be reloading 06 and 30-30 and 222rem ammo on it. The 30-30 is a Rem 788. It shoots spire points very nicely.

LUBEDUDE
12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Just speaking very very general. There are always exceptions and some may come on and say so. Having said that, the 550 tool head is not bad, it is good for hunting rounds and minute of soda can. If you are trying to make one hole or clover leaf groups, a single stage press is the way to go.

mpmarty
12-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I compete in high power and load all my rifle ammo on a 550B. The press produces ammo as accurate as any I've ever loaded on my rock chucker single stage. The primer system is the weak point and I've gone to off press priming on my 45/70 cases for convenience only. Put an "M" die in station #1 and size and deprime on a single stage press.

thehouseproduct
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
First, let me say that I am a huge Dillon fan... That said, I don't recommend the BL550 unless you already manually prime and manually measure powder charges. If you do, and plan to continue to do it, the BL550 would greatly increase your output. On the other hand, if you want to prime on the press, get an RL550, even if you don't want to use the powder measure. You can easily sell it, and get top money for it.

I guess what I am saying, is it depends on what YOU need.
A Dillon BL550 with add on priming system and caliber conversion is $390. A RL550 is $430. If you can sell the powder system for $40, you'd make out ahead with the RL550B. I wish I had done that even though I bought used caliber conversion cheap.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Another thought: There have been several RL550's up for sale used on several boards in the recent past and more likely to come with the economy in the shape its in. I would keep an eye out and pick on of those up.

odis
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I appreciate all the responses to my post, at this point and time I want to prime and pour powder in seperate stages but being over 58 years of age I know that I can change my mind in the future;) My number one interest in a Dillon is because of brand loyalty, and my experience with the quality in the press I already own for my handguns. I'm patient and will continue to research before I buy.

Waldog
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
A BL550 with a Hornady/RCBS case activated powder system would be a very nice system for those that like to prime off press.

I load all my pistol cases on the Hornady LNL. I load 99% of my rifle cases on a single stage Rock Chucker as I rarely load more than 100 rifle cases at a time. However, that BL550/Hornady powder measure combo has got me thinking!!!