PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning Lee Production Pot

wiljen
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
My old 10lbs lee pot has seen better days, the thing has rusted out around the top as they were prone to do but now is having valve issues. I noticed that lee sells the inner pot for $8.00. But it appears that the part (1047) contains the upper rim that was a separate part back in the era mine was made. Has anyone tried using this new style part in one of the older pots? If it will work it sounds like a cheap fix as my thermostat and heat element still work fine, just the valve being flaky.

Wiljen

IcerUSA
02-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Did you give Lee a call ? I'm sure they should know if it will work :) Just a thought:drinks:

wiljen
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I tried today but I'm guessing they aint open on Saturdays.

454PB
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
The last I heard, Lee will recondition the pot for half of the current purchase price.

wiljen
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Well if lee sells the pot for $64 that makes reconditioning it $32 + shipping. Natchez has em new for $41 so it is less than $10 difference to buy new vs the rebuild and I'd bet I'd have a new one quicker than the rebuilt too. Maybe I'm just being cheap and need to go buy a new pot, just seems a waste.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Call Lee, see what parts you need, order them and while you're at it, buy a ne2 20 pound pot and have the ten pounder feed the 20.

Regards,

Dave

wiljen
02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
The new inner pot will fit the old style lee production pot but requires the valve stem be changed too. Just thought I'd let anyone else who might be in the market know.

Wiljen

wiljen
03-04-2007, 11:55 AM
It was $15 including shipping for the new pot and valve stem. When it arrived, I did have to find a self tapping screw for the right rear screw hole that holds the valve assembly in place as the new top was considerably tougher and thicker than the old and immediately sheared the bolt head when I attempted to use the old screw. After completing the re-assembly everything works perfectly. Overall, it took maybe half an hour and it works as new. Overall - a well spent $15 for anyone else with the older style production pots.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
wiljen,

Thanks for posting the information. I have an older one that will eventually need that. $15.00 to rebuild is a lot cheaper than the price of a new one.

Regards,

Dave

Dale53
03-04-2007, 02:47 PM
HEY!!!!

You guys are trying to screw up the Nation's Economy!! The very idea of FIXING something, Humphh!! and DOUBLE Humphh!! Don't you understand that you are supposed to throw the thing away and buy new?? Think of the children!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale53

wiljen
03-04-2007, 03:09 PM
HEY!!!!

You guys are trying to screw up the Nation's Economy!! The very idea of FIXING something, Humphh!! and DOUBLE Humphh!! Don't you understand that you are supposed to throw the thing away and buy new?? Think of the children!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale53

I suppose I should throw all these old WW in the garbage too and start buying certified new stuff from midway right?

Mallard57
03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I suppose I should throw all these old WW in the garbage too and start buying certified new stuff from midway right?

Only if you mortgage your house!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
My children are GROWN. They're big enough to think of themselves, so I don't have to. (grin)

Dave

Arnie
03-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I have spent two days fixing something that cost 10 dollars new just because .Arnie

Dale53
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM
"Think of the children" is the clarion call of every politician in the land regardless of the issue. Makes me sick to my stomach!! THAT is why I included it in my satirical rant on "buying new". Myself, if it is repairable and it makes economic sense, it gets repaired. I started out my working life in a family business that repaired everything in the home, and I mean EVERYTHING (my specialty was automatic laundry equipment).

I ended up in the insurance industry but never lost my belief in extending the life of most anything in my househould when practical. Over the years, we have saved a BUNCH with this philosophy...

Dale53