PDA

View Full Version : SMLE No 1 mag. source?

dualsport
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Where is the best place to buy magazines for a SMLE No 1 Mk III? Looked at Numrich, very pricey. Midway has an aftermarket job for about $15 but there's 7 reviews claiming it's junk. National Ordnance I think. Aftermarket or 5 shot is fine, it's for sporter.

Jack Stanley
12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
A few years ago I got an extra from Springfield Sporters , I think they are in Penn Run PA .

Good people to deal with .

Jack

DaveF
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Marstar Canada has them for No.1 Mk.III and No.4 Mk.I rifles from $25.00 each, and up, depending on condition.

dualsport
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look.

KCSO
12-11-2011, 02:22 AM
I may have a couple Santa fe's left a $18. I'll have to look monday.

dualsport
12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm definitely interested, let me know. Thanks.

Multigunner
12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Theres a limited interchangeability between No.1 and No.4 rifle magazines.
From several examples of each tried in several rifles of each type I found that SMLE magazines when used in a No.4 are usually too tight, if the mag catch or rge notch in the magazine rib are worn they will fit, but if each is in near new condition the mag latch won't fully engage unless one or the other is filed down by a very small amount.
A No.4 magazine will usually fit a No.1/SMLE, but if the SMLE has a magazine cut off the cut off plate can becomes jammed in the right side relief cut of a no.4 mag. Perhaps the early No.4 rifles that retained the cut off plate had a higher set or thinner plate. The relief cut in the No.4 mag just doesn't work with an SMLE cut off plate, though there may be exceptions.

One new in the wrap No.4 magazine a friend obtained fit well in either type of rifle. This mag is a clamshell body type with the central seam of the bottom not closed by brazing or welding.
It may have been intended for use in either rifle, and proportioned accordingly.
If you find one of these its probably the best bet for use in either rifle so far as fit and function goes.

DP Magazines very often have a worn down or torn left hand front feed lip.
These can be repaired by upsetting the metal of the lip and drawing out by hammering using a steel rod as a mandrel, then filing to shape. This leaves the lip rather thin, but the hammering work hardens it, so I've had no problems of these bending in use.

JeffinNZ
12-12-2011, 05:31 AM
PM "Tertle". He has LE stuff coming out his wazzu these days.

Artful
12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
PM "Tertle". He has LE stuff coming out his wazzu these days.

Like Ouch, could be painful :kidding:

dualsport
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I have ordered an aftermarket 10 rder. from Sportsman's Guide, member's price $16.00. It will be here in a week or so, I'll try it out and report back.

dualsport
12-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Got my mag from Sportsmans Guide. Fits fine in the No 1 Mk 3 but haven't tried it yet. I'll be surprised if it doesn't work ok.

bydand
12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Keep in mind a Lee Enfield is NOT an M16. Each magazine was fitted to the rifle and it was only to be removed when cleaning the rifle.
The ONLY Enfield that had a spare magazine was the Lee Metford and that idea was dropped after they modified them for charger loading.

loosenuts57
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
dualsport, I have to agree with bydand when it comes to fitting your mag to your rifle. I have consolidated cartridges recently and MAY have an Enfield mag (probably both aftermarket and original) laying around. I have allot of sifting to do anyway and liquidate this stuff, so keep me in mind if you can't get the SG mag to run.....