PDA

View Full Version : .303 British O-Ring Load

mrbillbus
12-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I keep seeing a reference to loading .303 with an o-ring and using cream of wheat as a filler. But I can't find an actual recipe.

So:

What powder/charge weight?
How much cream of wheat?
Bullet: yes, no, wax plug?
If no bullet/plug, how do you keep the components together?
Can it be done with factory loads (ala "improved" fire forming)?

I know this is all available here somewhere but searching didn't get me very far.

Thanx
Bill

Reload3006
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I think you can pretty much use what ever load you want. As you know all you are doing is fire forming your brass to your particular guns chamber. The o-Ring keeps the brass case up against the bolt face as its chambered and fired. Gas pressure will continue to hold it there. It will then head space off of its shoulder instead of the case rim. Now if you FL re-size your brass it will be back to the same state it was in. So only neck size after... I have use factory ammo just slip an o-ring on and your set.

Jim
12-09-2011, 11:02 AM
This is interesting. Where exactly is the O ring located on the cartridge to keep it back against the bolt face?

Reload3006
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
you place the o-ring on the cartridge just in front of the rim ... toward the pointy end.. (not being mean just the best way i could think of to describe it) the o-ring will keep the rim forced against the bolt face.

skeet1
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
You place the "O" ring on the cartridge right back against the front side of rim so it is squeezed when you close the action.

Ken

Jim
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Got it. I kinda' wondered about this.

303Guy
12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
This is about the size O-ring.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/001-3.jpg

Just load up your normal shooting rounds and go shoot.

Multigunner
12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
You can probably find much thinner O-rings that would serve the purpose better.
If the ring is that thick I expect it would make it difficult to close the bolt all the way.

Earlier similar methods used a curled piece of momofilament fishing line to do the same thing.

walltube
12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
mrbillbus,

6 grains WW231 or 'Clays'.

CofW atop the chosen powder to the base of case neck. .5" square of soft tissue slightly tamped over all that to prevent an unauthorised CoW escape, then a small squeeze of white glue.

Jeff in NZ pic is a thousand words. I have experimented with varying thicknesses of 'o' ring to achieve the best result for a particular rifle. Resistance to closing the bolt with ring in place determines 'how thick'. A slight effort to close the bolt is all that is needed for optimum results. Works for me.

Neck size only for best case longevity.

Good luck to you,
Wt.

303Guy
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, the O-ring shown is thicker than needed but the bolt does close OK. The caming action on a 303 Lee Enfield is quite something.

walltube
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Uh-Oh!

My apologies to 303Guy. My key-board reactions are obviously quicker then my brain..:) Thought you were Jeff there...

:drinks:
Wt.

303Guy
12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Aaah! The avatar of Jeff's kid holding a rabbit! Yeah. I get confused when I see my own avatar too. That's my great-nephew. I'll have to change mine to him holding the first hare he shot.