PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a #11 cap

stronics
12-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I have not shot black powder for twenty years now. Recently got the urge when I ran across a nice Thompson Center Hawkin 45 with the 1-48" twist. Had some issues with the bore being rough but since has polished up real nice. I built a bore light to look at it and it's beautiful now.
My question now is I'm using CCI #11 mag caps and they are fragmenting upon firing. Sometimes just split, other times almost gone completely. Seems to be a bad thing so close to my face. Is this normal?
Gorex fff, 50gr, pillow ticking patch with a cast round ball.
I appreciate any information,
David

excess650
12-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Try a NEW nipple and see if the problem goes away. The flash channel in the current nipple may be erroded from lots of shooting.

thunderthud
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
its normal, the fragments shouldn't be a bother since the hammer cup should direct them down and away. You are wearing safety glasses aren't you?
I would stay away from "mag" caps especially if you are paying more than regular.Any decent cap should set off the charge if the flash channel is clean. everything is being cheapened up now days, perhaps the cap metal is a bit thinner than it used to be. My favorite caps are Remingtons.If the nipple is sharp or battered over you need a new one.

451 Pete
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I have to agree with Thunderthud in his post above but if you are still worried about cap fragments there is a device called a flash cup available from a number of sources ( Track, Dixie ect. ) The flash cup is held in place by the nipple and can be rotated under the nipple to help to protect your rifles wood finish or your face. The biggest problem with these is it will cost you more for shipping than the cost of the flash cup so you may have to think up some more have to get items for your shooting bag before ordering.

Pete

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I get that with MAG Caps too.
not so much with standard Caps.
Jon

Marvin S
12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
As mentioned before a new good quality nipple is always a good idea. You don't need magnum caps since you are using real black powder.

waksupi
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
They are SUPPOSED to fragment. Check the front of your hammer. There should be a V cut in it to the level of the anvil, to direct the fragments away from you.

shdwlkr
12-09-2011, 03:41 PM
mag caps came about with the harder to ignite non real black powder powder. I have used mag caps for a long time yes they fragment and I have never had a piece hit me yet.
If you are using traditional black powder either cap will or should work. The mag cap just gives more fire if you will to ignite the powder charge.
I even use 3f in all my muzzle loaders just adjust the load to the caliber usually for me it is 10-15% less than 2f. But what do I know I have been shooting black for almost 50 years now so I must be stupid as who would ever want to use something as old as a muzzle loader. They have no concept of what is fun and what is just boring.
time for my milk and cookies

Omnivore
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
All caps will split open and often break apart upon firing. That's been my experience for years using three different percussion guns-- rifle and pistol, and three or four different brands of nipples, with CCI, CCI Magnum and Remington caps in #10 and #11.

The cap walls are very thin, presumeably so they can stretch a little and grip the cones. Makes sense to me anyway.

Percussion revolvers are often rated in product reviews on, among other things, how well the actions handle cap fragments. It's all part of the muzzle loading experience, my friend.

I expect a firelock (flintlock) will sometimes throw off chips of flint too, and for sure you get a flash in the face from the priming charge. And don't stand too close off the lock side of the firearm or you may have a bad experience.

stronics
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
What a great place! This is what I was looking for, seems my problem is normal. Now that is unusual.
I thank all the members for the help.
David