PDA

View Full Version : what lube to use on molds?

randyrat
02-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I couldn't find any bullet lube around here to lube my bullet mold (Lee,aluminum) so i used some bore butter, seemed to work ok. What else can i use? Crisco?

DLCTEX
02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I couldn't find any bullet lube around here to lube my bullet mold (Lee,aluminum) so i used some bore butter, seemed to work ok. What else can i use? Crisco?

There are a number of things used to lube molds, such as candle wax. The problem is that it tends to migrate to the cavities and foul up casting, plus it tends to cook into a hard mess that interferes with the mold closing, closes vent lines, and other problems. The best solution seems to be Bull Plate lube sold by our own Bull shop, links are found on this site. I haven't personally tried it, but will in the near future. Search the archives or contact Dan at Bullshop for more info. Dale

MT Gianni
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Lacking anything else, a #2 pencil all over the top of the mold and in the cavitys leaves enough graphite to lube things. Don't forget to do the rollers on the side, crisco might work on the hinge pin but only a pinheads worth. Gianni

Marlin Junky
02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
No. 2 or HB pencil is all you need unless you're hell-bent on complicating your life.

A problem with lots of casters is they don't want to loosen spure plate pivot screws to the point where the plates will flop open under their own weight.

MJ

Dale53
02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I HAVE tried Bullshop Sprue Plate lube and will NOT be without it in the future. It just flat does what it is supposed to do. It has added a SMILE to my casting...

Dale53

grouch
02-24-2007, 02:08 PM
LBT makes mold lube that works very well for me.

montana_charlie
02-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I can't comment on Bullshop's Sprue Plate Lube as I have not tried it. While the name implies that it is intended for the sprue plate, it may be useful for other parts of a mould, as well.
But, most importantly, it's designed (I assume) to work at normal casting temperatures.

It only takes an instant to see that is NOT true of waxes. Within moments they turn to a hard burnt crust that obviously can't 'lubricate' anything.
(If your motor oil ever took on a similar appearance, you would change it immediately.)

The anti-seize compound sold by NAPA is designed to be used in temperatures exceeding 1200 degrees. Tiny amounts on screw threads, wave washers, and inside the mouths of alignment pin holes will actually 'lubricate' those areas.
This is best applied with the parts disassembled, so the amount applied can be closely controlled.
(A single gob the size of a BB is enough to lube all of the important areas on two or three moulds.)

After reassembly, with a bullet in the cavity and the mould closed, the entire mould and handle jaws can be coated with spray-on graphite (also available at NAPA). It makes exterior surfaces 'non stick' so lead is easily removed, and it creates a 'sliding surface' between the sprue plate and block top which prevents galling.

I apply two thin coats to all areas when the mould is cold.

As the mould is warmed up, I watch those areas lubed with the anti-sieze compound...to catch any excess with a clean Q-tip.
CM

lar45
02-24-2007, 02:47 PM
The Bull Plate lube is very good.
I used to use a no. 2 pencil on the top of the molds and bottom of the sprue plate. It worked pretty good, but the Bull Plate lube is really surpriseing with how well it works.
Very affordable also.

John Boy
02-24-2007, 10:50 PM
What else can i use?
Might want to try some Permatex Anti Seize

A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing on metal to metal contact points and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°Cto 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant – ideal for marine use. This non-aerosol version meets Military Spec #907E.

A 1 ounce tube lasts a long time

piwo
02-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Last week I used that permatex anti-sieze lubricant that you get at auto parts stores. It worked very well :drinks:

randyrat
02-25-2007, 12:33 PM
AAAHHHHH i found my Permatex anti sieze lube. I never put much together without it. I never thought it would work on bullet molds.Thanks for the ideas