PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Barrel Lug + Silver Solder???

jdgabbard
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Ok, I'm looking at building an SBS, based off a Moss. action. And I am looking at exactly how I'm going to re-mount the barrel lug after it has been trimmed to length. I'm guessing silver solder would be the best bet. However, obviously, I'm concerned with too much heat. High temp solders would not work, they go to about 1200F, while low temp I'm afraid might be too soft.

Any experts on silver soldering out there? Specifically with shotguns, if there are any. Any feed back on whether or not the following link is what I should be looking at? Or is some kind of paste a better bet?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/813132/grobet-stay-brite-high-strength-silver-solder-kit

Bret4207
12-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Brownells sells a mess of different type silver solders, some are relatively low temp too. I'd look though their offerings and see what seems best. I can tell you this much, their premixed silver solder/flux paste is fantastic stuff! Expensive, but worth several times their asking price. That's what I'd use.

elk hunter
12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Most silver solders need the metal to be brought to a red heat, around 1200 degrees F, for the solder to flow and bond. I do use it some applications, but have switched to Brownells low temp "High Force 44" for most of my soldering that needs high strength. It's relatively easy to use, runs at 475 degrees F and has 14,000 to 28,00 psi tensile strength. The high temp version runs at 650 degrees F, but is much harder, at least for me, to use.

John Taylor
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I have been using the Brownells 44 for many years. The more surface area you have will be better. I tried their high strength version and could not get it to flow. The stay bright is almost the same as the Brownells solder.

I do use high temp silver solder when strength is needed, like the under lug on a 458 mag barrel.

jdgabbard
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Has anybody had any experience with it on a shotgun barrel? I'm still worried that the 450 +/- heat will be a little too much for the barrel. However, if my understanding is correct, shotgun barrels are not heat treated anyways, so it may not make much of a difference.

stubshaft
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I used Force 44 on an old Mossberg Goose gun that I had shortened the barrel on. I used it to solder on a set of old Remington rifle sights and turned it into a slug gun. No indication of any weakening or warpage.

jdgabbard
12-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Here is a Midway video on Youtube that I found. So I guess it can be safely done. But still my question is would the bond be strong enough for use with the barrel lug?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCLMw1oQxyk

Stub, did you find it easy to use?

stubshaft
12-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Actually yes, it was very easy to use just make sure you use the proper flux and it'll work great. It is one the must have things I always keep around. I can't comment on the strength factor for a barrel lug though.

Bret4207
12-10-2011, 09:43 AM
475-500 degrees won't hurt your barrel, nor will 6-700 degrees. But the possibility of the finish being damaged is there and rather likely. Just remember that with silver solders you want very little solder actually doing the holding, IOW- more isn't better. GEt that lug to a good a fit dry as you can, apply just enough solder to cover the area , clamp the lug and barrel together and sweat it together.

pdawg_shooter
12-10-2011, 11:25 AM
+1 on the High Force 44. Been using it for years. Works great.

Storydude
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Has anybody had any experience with it on a shotgun barrel? I'm still worried that the 450 +/- heat will be a little too much for the barrel. However, if my understanding is correct, shotgun barrels are not heat treated anyways, so it may not make much of a difference.

No bbl is heat treated. Most shotguns "back in the day" used silver solder to hold on mag tube mounts and bbl rings.

Like was said, clean clean clean, good dry fit and minimal amount of solder.

jdgabbard
12-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the advice Bret. This is good news. Now I can order it and wait on the stamp to come in the mail.

Bret4207
12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Just remember that the barrels are also likely silver soldered together, if it's a side by side. So don't use any more heat than you have to.

jmsj
12-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I have a following this thread as I too have a SXS that needs the lug and a small section of the lower rib resoldered.
My question is using Brownell's Stop heat paste helpful for stopping the heat from speading out. I have used this product for mig and tig welding and it seems to help but I have not used it for soldering.
Thanks, jmsj

Bret4207
12-12-2011, 08:22 AM
IIRC the Stop heat paste is to prevent discoloration ( oxygen barrier basically). I don't think it actually stops the heat from spreading. Might want to read the particulars on what they claim it does.

nanuk
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I thought it did stop heat travel, as I have read it can be used on bolt lugs when heat bending bolt handles...

best read the applications right from Brownells

deltaenterprizes
12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I replaced a broken lug on a Rem barrel and used silver solder. The old gunsmith told me to coat the inside with a mixture of bone black and whale oil to prevent scaling on the inside because the barrel is already thin and scaling would remove metal.
He gave me a can of whale oil from Brownells that was as old as the hills and some bone black.
A modern substitute for the whale is jojoba oil and I think charcoal powder would work for the bone black unless you wanted to make some bone charcoal.

jdgabbard
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up Delta, I'd forgotten about the inside of the gun... Just goes to show, that sometimes you do need a little help from someone thats been there, and done that.

However, for those of you who are confused. This is not a SxS, this is a pump gun. And will be built on a Form 1 for a Short Barreled Shotgun.

Frank46
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Don't mean to try and be a wise guy here, but they had a gun related video on "how its made"
When holland and holland does their shotguns it showed them using silver solder ribbon wired in place and put inside (breech section) a small brick furnace and after 15-20 minutes they took it out and both sections were silver soldered together. You could try the fusion silver solder paste between the barrel and lug. Brownell's sells a couple types. Hope this helps. Frank