PDA

View Full Version : 1902 remington roller

bigted
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
just landed a 1902 remington roller in 7mm...[7x57 mauser] i think.

at any rate the action is what i really wanted but if it turns out to be a shooter then the search is still on for a tight smokless era action wrapped inside a complete rifle.

my question is really about barrels i suppose along with the capabilitys of this 1902 roller action.

does anybody know the psi capabilitys of the badger and greenmountain barrels? i want a barrel that is capable for the times i want to shoot smokeless and i also desire the action to withstand this amount of preassure as well.

the psi im looking at is the same that the marlin and winchester leveractions withstand and this is around 40k i believe.

maybe im posting in the wrong place but i suspect there are a couple folks here that posess this knowledge.

i also have re-barreled a browning hiwall with a greenmountain barrel and ive shyed away from the higher velocity smokeless loads till i find out what the energy level of this barel is going to be....the 38-55 barrel on this rifle is a #4 winchester taper and as such it is HEAVY and i suspect capabal of the 40k i would like to feed it from time to time.

thoughts?

John Boy
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
does anybody know the psi capabilitys of the badger and greenmountain barrels?I would think Badger (if you can find a contact number) and Green Mountain would know. Look at their websites or give them a call or send an email
Here's another source ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7%C3%9757mm_Mauser
Put in memory bank ... Wikipedia has data for nearly every caliber

bigted
12-08-2011, 11:34 PM
have fired off notes to both but wanted to find out early if possible...i know huh...patience???

Gtek
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Have the same in the thinking out stage, mine with saddle ring. I have been researching as much as I can. I have read that bottlenecks are not the way to go, straightwall cases are the best. The #5 action is the only smokeless and built with better steel. The Green mountain barrels will not fit, only one inch stub on octagon. That is what I want is 24" 45-70 octagon/round playing out the carbine thing. With the straight wall cases you will be weaker than most all loads the receiver will handle. Brownells sells a nice set of wood for a little over a buck and a half. I think I am going Douglas and cut and turn to fit. Gtek

bigted
12-10-2011, 12:49 AM
i dont understand the green mountain thing for not working...if the 1 inch stub is too small then turning the breech end should be a thing that is easy to do. also if im reading your sentence rite your saying that with such as a 50-70 or a 50-90 that the action would withstand anything this cartridge/cartridges would be able to throw at it.....correct? thanks...Ted

4060MAY
12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
use the Sharps green mountain barrel.
The shank on the No.5 action is 1.055

bigted
12-10-2011, 12:36 PM
4060...are we talking diameter or length?

4060MAY
12-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Diameter of the threads
the Action is usually about 1.300 wide

From green mountain Website

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=sharpsnum1heavybarrels

Sharps #1 Heavy Rifle Barrels - 4140 Steel - Faithful to the Sharps #1 Heavy profile being 1.31" at the breech, 1.125" after the distinct tulip area and tapering to 1.010" at the muzzle. The caliber specs offered are .40, 1:16 twist .400"/.408"; .45, 1:18 twist .450"/.458"; .50, 1:24 twist .500"/.50 - 34" .45 caliber 1:18 twist...

does not look like they have any 50cal in stock in the sharps taper

Gtek
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
My #5 has a barrel thread major of 1.050" and a 1.055" at shoulder and depth from shoulder to chamber face of 1.395". The Brownells catalog in Green Mountain area said the black powder cartridge barrel will not fit Rollers. Maybe I missed something, I am hunting .458" tube myself. I am leaning Douglas, thread and other fun machining required to install. Once indexed, remove and octagon rear and slight taper out. Still searching out who does case color worth my money. Gtek

4060MAY
12-12-2011, 11:55 PM
My RB was an 1897 7mm Spanish with a sliding extractor
thread O.D. is 1.055, the Green Mountain barrel I installed is a 38-55 1-14 twist, 1.125 across the flats, 1.195 across the points..

giving a bearing surface of .035 at the flats and .070 at the points

I turned the face of the action with a stub to make it square to the threads, and carefully cut the square threads tight, last two turns a wrench is needed, been shooting the gun for a year with no problems

If this was a high pressure cartridge I would like more bearing surface, but 38-55 is not intended for high pressure..

Gtek
you indicated a .458 barrel, for 45-70 ? or .458 mag?..the later would need more bearing IMHO..

I have a GM barrel on a No.1 action but the threads are smaller..it shoots very well

if you go to the GM link I posted there is a picture of the sharps barrels showing the barrel stub..an email would probably get a drawing with dimensions

Good Luck

bigted
12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
thanks all...just completed all payment and shipping and ffl for the delivery of this roller...cant wait for it to get into my hands...kinda hoping it turns out to be a shooter but also really want to build another custom so either way it will be a welcome addition to the fold.

the sharps barrel from gm looks and sounds like the barrel for me if i go that rout...would really like a 50-70 to kinda round out my arsonal. 7mm mauser would be fun tho too so ????? who knows, this is one of those times that there is no way this rifle will or can disapoint me...got into it rite so cant get hurt if i play all the cards rite.

vynshah
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
The No. 5, commercial and military, were designed for smokeless powder. The 7x57 was never a black powder cartridge. Some of the last RRR actually had an ejector rather than an extractor. The action, not the barrel, is your pressure limit. Pressure limit on a No. 5 is probably 45,000 psi, just to be on the safe side. These were also made in .30-40 Krag, 8mm Lebel and several others.