PDA

View Full Version : dillon cv-500

Dirtdgger
12-08-2011, 09:49 PM
motor went out on my dillon cv-500 looked on internet dead end does anyone know where i might find replacement motor?

LUBEDUDE
12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
My motor finally went out just a few months ago after 30 years of hard work. Dillon had me send the Tumbler back for an upgrade to the CV-750.
I forgot what the cost was. It was not cheap, but considering it was for a beefier motor, I fiqured it was worth it.

cp478
12-22-2011, 06:36 AM
+1 on contacting Dillon.

LUBEDUDE
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Just saw this same problem over on the SASS board. Guys said that Dillon only had upgrade motor.
Also that the motor could not be found at Grainger or other well known sources.

Dirtdgger
12-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks , for all the replys. Had the heat and air guy out to fix heater in reloading room he's a friend so had him look at motor. He allowed how all I needed to do was replace the bearings so I popped the motor apart pulled bearing and off to bearing shop just north in Kansas threw bearing down on counter guy looked at them left and came back with two new bearings. headed home, I put bearings in and behold motor runs like new.total cost 18.00 bucks.

angus6
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Might want to post a part # for guys with the cv-500 ;)

C.F.Plinker
12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Might want to post a part # for guys with the cv-500 ;)

And pictures.

LUBEDUDE
12-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Can't beat that with stick!

dauntlessdave
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Got a CV-500 on it's last legs..........anxiously awaiting PN's and Pics if you can do so.........

GBertolet
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
My CV-500 motor went bad twice. First time Dillon charged me $35 to replace it. The second time the motor went bad, less than two years later, they wanted $105 to repair, plus it was going to cost me another $20 to ship it out. Their rep said they found the motor on the CV-500 was not up to the job, so they were upgrading the motors to the larger CV-750 motor, which is more expensive, along with having to modify the internals of the CV-500 to mount the larger motor. I declined their offer, as I could, and did, buy a Lyman Turbo of similar size for about half that amount. The Dillon rep said that the motor on the CV-500 was custom made specificly for them, so I was not likely to find a matching replacement, and Dillon had exhausted their supply of spares which they were liquidating as D.I.Y. parts, since they upgraded to the replacement motor. He was right, as so far I have been unable to locate one. I even contacted A.O. Smith, the motors manufacturer, with no luck. I believe the windings are bad on my motor, so a repair is not likely, so I am still looking.

rodsvet
12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Call Skycraft Surplus @ 407-628-5634. I purchased two Fasco, American made ball bearing motors to fit an old Midway 1288 tumbler for $12.00 each. The motors were new. I had to put longer legs under the tumbler frame as the new motors were an inch longer than the originals. The tumbler will now polish 400 45's to a mirror finish in 30 minutes. You may have to grind your original weights down a little as the more powerful motors don't need so much weight. The tumbler doesn't jump around but the media moves 5 times faster. Just a thought that may help you out. Give them a call and give them the specs for your motor. They may have exactly what you need. I believe they are in Florida. Good luck, Rod

Dirtdgger
12-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Sorry fellows havent check the post I will post some p.n. Tomorrow iffy at best on pic but I will try.

DukeInFlorida
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM
OK, I have the absolute answer for you.

Dillon will replace the motor for a fee. It's cheap, like $35 or so. You'll have to call them to get that price, and an RMA. They are very good about it!

My CV500 used to run around the clock, and I burned out one of the Dillon motors every year and a half. Total pain in the butt.

Now.....

The CV500 uses a motor with a bronze bushing for the motor spindle. Like the bushings on the really cheap tumblers, because of the vibrations, the bushings tend to wear fast, and when the coils bump into the side of the motor, and it sits there and hums, it's time to replace it.

Here's the lesser known secret!

Dillon will, if you ask them to, UPGRADE your CV500 motor to the same ball bearing motor that they use on the CV750 and 2001 models, for just a little more money. Like $65 or so. Call them and ask.

They will install heavier springs between your base and your bowl, and give you a whole new outlook on the CV500 tumbler. Fast turnaround. I run my tumbler as much as I ever did, and don't expect to ever need to replace the motor again.

So, call Dillon, and ask them about upgrading your CV500 motor to the CV750 motor with heavier springs......

You'll be happy!

GBertolet
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
DukeInMaine, I hope you are right, and that Dillon may have reconsidered their policy. Last year I called, and they were out of the $35 motors, and had no intention of replacing their stock. They had so much trouble with that motor, that they were only using the CV-750 motors at $105, for the repairs, which includes a modified bottom end for the CV-500 to hold the larger CV-750 motor. I will call Dillon again and see what's up.

Dirtdgger
01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Ok I found the numbers for the bearings but try as I might I can't get pic to load so here are the bearing numbers nsk-608z

angus6
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
DukeInMaine, I hope you are right, and that Dillon may have reconsidered their policy. Last year I called, and they were out of the $35 motors, and had no intention of replacing their stock. They had so much trouble with that motor, that they were only using the CV-750 motors at $105, for the repairs, which includes a modified bottom end for the CV-500 to hold the larger CV-750 motor. I will call Dillon again and see what's up.

you have the correct current info, seems some are also getting a credit to up grade to new model

bslim
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
When my Dillon CV-2001 decided to take a rest, I called Dillon and the short story was that I had to send it in for repairs, I couldn't just order the parts. Problem was , that the return shipping shipping was half the cost of a new Tumbler. I took the motor apart and found that the outside bearing race had worn the housing casting. I cleaned it up , used some red loctite to take up the gap between the race and the housing and 1 year later it is still running like a clock.

dauntlessdave
01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Sorry fellows havent check the post I will post some p.n. Tomorrow iffy at best on pic but I will try.

Thanks for the info!!