PDA

View Full Version : Permanent copper fouling

SkookumJeff
12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a Savage 99 in .308 Winchester that must have never EVER been cleaned before I acquired it. I've spent countless hours scrubbing the barrel on this rifle and to this day I still get green patches if I let the barrel soak for a bit. I called it quits and decided to live with the fouling as it shoots well with jacketed bullets.

Now that I'm casting my own boolits, I'd like to start shooting cast in this rifle. I've seen the warnings to remove all traces of bullet jacket material before switching to cast lead. The stubborn jacket fouling in this bore could give me trouble shooting cast. I read about using Chore Boy copper strands wrapped around a bore brush for scrubbing lead fouling from a bore.

Does anyone know if you can use the stainless steel version of Chore Boy for copper fouling? Has anyone tried this? Otherwise I"m planning to use some 0000 steel wool strands wrapped around a brush to hopefully FINALLY get all the *#$@!! jacket fouling out of this bore once and for all....I've read of shooters using steel wool to remove copper fouling. I'm hoping there's someone here who can tell me this won't damage the rifling in my barrel...????

excess650
12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Don't use SS in your bore. Find some Sweets 762, or other copper disolving solvent. Don't let the stuff in the bore too long or get it on the bluing. You might want to try some JB bore cleaner as well.

Lefty SRH
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Best thing I've found for cutting STUBBORN copper fouling is KG12 bore cleaner. Beats everything on the market. Literally 2-3 wet patches with this stuff and the bore is clean. NO JOKE! I was a skeptic when I bought it but it works. Midway carries it and I'm sure you can find it else where also.

imashooter2
12-08-2011, 07:38 PM
#1 choice is the Outers' Foul Out. 2nd choice would be J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound.

w30wcf
12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
+1 on the JB bore cleaner.
AND.....you just may be able to remove it by shooting cast bullets that are .001-.002" over groove diameter.:smile:

That has been the case with the one .30-30 that I shoot both jacketed and cast bullets in.

w30wcf

MtGun44
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Electric bore plater - like Outer's Fould Out will clean it all out.

Bill

Bret4207
12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
4/0 steel wool will not hurt your barrel at all. But with copper I think a chemical solution is your best bet, a Foul Out would be even better if you have access to one. The 4/0 steel wool is more of a lead alloy getter-outter.

Dutch4122
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
I have an early 1950's Savage 99 that was in the same shape as yours. The bore looked like the previous owner had only wiped the bore with an oil soaked patch after shooting. I used Sweet's 7.62 Copper Cleaner. Follow the instructions to the letter and make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. Patches first came out dark blue which means a lot of copper in the bore. Each patch came out a shade lighter of blue as I kept going. After an hour the patches were coming out white and the bore was clean. Final step is to wipe the bore with an oil soaked patch to protect the bare metal.

This rifle now shoots cast boolits like it was made for them!

e15cap
12-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I almost wore out my elbow trying to get copper out of a 99. Turne out the barrel was very pitted and I was cleaning out the pits, which would fill up again with the first shot. Quit and gave it back to the owner with the recomendation to re- barrel.
Best, Roger

largom
12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I would use "WIPE-OUT" foaming bore cleaner. Fill the bore, let it sit over-night, patch out the copper fouling. Might require two applications. If the bore is pitted you might fire lap to smooth it up.

Larry

Jack Stanley
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I think I've used most of the items suggested here and they all work pretty well . The electric cleaner was pretty easy and will even clean to the bottom of the pits .... the ones that was under a nice layer of cupro-nickel fouling on an 03 I bought :roll:

The wipe-out or other foaming bore cleaner was about the easiest for me . I don't think I ever had to use it more than once on a fouling problem , leaving it overnight can help . This stuff didn't work very well on the above mentioned 03 barrel .

For other fouling chores I still have Sweet's , Hoppes ( regular ) , Kroil and Montana bore cleaner . How well they work sometimes depends on how long you leave them and how many patches it takes .

I find that when the cleaning action of the above stops , sometimes a patch with JB on it will abrade fouling enough that chemical cleaners can work a little more .

Since you've already cleaned it pretty well , give the foaming cleaner a try and let it sit for a while , it might be the easiest way .

Jack

scrapcan
12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Another option is to alternate copper remover and carbon remover. What you get is a lattice/layer of fouling and need to cut through it layer by layer. Try one of the copper removers suggested alternated with a good carbon remover. MEK top end engine cleaner form GM makes a good carbon remover.

These can be not much fun and lots of work.

Piedmont
12-09-2011, 03:16 PM
+1 on the JB bore cleaner.
AND.....you just may be able to remove it by shooting cast bullets that are .001-.002" over groove diameter.:smile:

That has been the case with the one .30-30 that I shoot both jacketed and cast bullets in.

w30wcf

Agree. My first thought was he might just shoot the rest of that fouling out with a good cast gas checked load.

rayzer
12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I bought an Ishipore Lee Enfield in .303 looked great outside. Inside it looked a little rough. I used Butch's bore shine to get the copper fouling out, until the patches came out clean, then I used JB bore cleaning compound to cut through the carbon layer. I had to repeat this many times, until I got all the layers of carbon and copper out of the bore. now it looks great.

bob208
12-10-2011, 09:29 AM
i have used the old g.i. bore cleaner. also use hopes bench rest #9.

btroj
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I have grown to like TM solution for most cleaning. Does pretty well on copper but is great on carbon. It is safe to leave in the bore overnite also.
I also have found that shooting cast can be a good way to help remove copper. Even having a bit of leading seems to help. I don't know why this works. I don't know if this would remove huge amounts of copper but it sure gets the last bits out of my barrels.

TXGunNut
12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
"Wipe Out" is an awesome product, I always do a second application because I have trouble believing it works with one. Only truly neglected bores need more than one application. I've used all the products above other than KG12 (putting it on my wish list) and Wipe Out is the best by far. My local range uses it on some very badly fouled customers' guns with good results. There's an optional tube that reduces waste.

pdawg_shooter
12-10-2011, 11:35 AM
A couple dozen paper patch bullets with NO lube usally works about as good as anything, has for me anyway.

lbaize3
12-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I have had good luck with Midway's "Truly Remarkable" bore cleaner, followed by JB bore paste.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
You can make a "fowl-out" knockoff very cheaply. Try a search engine. I did and used the Outers solution for copper with great results. BUT YOU WILL SPEND LOTS OF TIME, on something like one of Stalin's secret preserve reserve Mosins or Mausers. The copper and the crud will come out. I followed with Brownells 800 grit garnet paste on a patch wrapped brass brush and had good shooting results afterwards.

BvT

12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Alternate between a good carbon cleaner (Ed's Red, etc) and janitorial strength ammonia. (10%) Leave the ammonia in the bore for two - three minutes and swab it out. Repeat the process as needed. It may take many sessions to remove years of copper, but it will work. When your are done or take a break, oil the barrel good. The process will remove oil and leave the barrel ready to rust. Finish off with a good penetrator (Kroil). Household ammonia (3%) won't work as good. True Value, etc. carry janitorial strength ammonia. Look for 10 %.

Char-Gar
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Here is the truth, as I know it to be..please read my disclaimer below.

1. It is all but impossible to get 100% of the copper out, as there will be some left in the pores of the steel that will show color on a patch for a very long time. This does no harm and may even smooth out the bore a bit, so don't worry about it. You can tell you hit it, when the amount of color on the patch stabilizes patch after patch.

2.Wipe-Out brushless bore cleaner, makes quick work of getting the pesky copper out. Save your arms and buy some. It will also take out the powder fouling.

1Shirt
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I use a foam bore cleaner by Gunslick. Sometimes takes a second/third application where each has set in bbl for at least 1/2 hour. Am yet to see a badly copper fouled bbl that would not come clean with this stuff. For lite fouling and at the range with jacketed, I like Boartech. For either/both, follow the directions to the letter, and allow the time recommended sequences and the results are great.
1Shirt!:coffee:

leadman
12-20-2011, 11:22 PM
For severe powder fouling I use Purple Power soap. This is a concentrated alkli soap used for degreasing. Do not get it on alumiinum or anodized parts.
I clean the bore with this, dry with a patch, use Hoppe's or Gunslick foaming cleaner, or Sweets. Follow directions, when it quits I use PP soap again. Usually 2 or 3 times and the bore is down to bare metal. Then oil it.

I also have a FoulOut and it works very well. Sometimes if the bore is very bad I will use the soap in between the FoulOut sessions.

XWrench3
12-24-2011, 09:50 AM
you NEVER want to put ANYTHING into your bore that is harder than the steel it is made out of. if you do, you will be permanently altering the bore, and most likely, not for the better. just keep on with the copper solvents. it will take a while, but it is the best way. by the way, straight industrial strength ammonia will also dissolve the jacket material. just be certain to not leave it sit in there for more than 5 minutes at a crack. and i always alternate it with a traditional copper solvent.

750k2
12-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Best thing I've found for cutting STUBBORN copper fouling is KG12 bore cleaner. Beats everything on the market. Literally 2-3 wet patches with this stuff and the bore is clean. NO JOKE! I was a skeptic when I bought it but it works. Midway carries it and I'm sure you can find it else where also.

This stuff works period!!!
And you can let it sit in the bore.
Only down side is you'll still try sweets to double check til you believe it
as the patches won't come out blue.
I've tried them all and this is the best so far.
Read a test where they put penny's in various solvents weighing before and after.
Results were surprising as some copper solvents basically turned blue with no
removal - but KG12 actually ate the penny up[smilie=w:

tomf52
12-26-2011, 12:25 PM
As a previous poster stated the electrolytic tools such as A Hoppe's Foul Out will yield a bore totally clean of copper. You do not have to spend the money on the Foul Out though. A steel oxycetalene wellding rod, some rubber grommets, and a low volt power supply such as an old ac/dc power supply or even reugular batteries is the heart of the system. Do an internet seach for "electrolytic bore cleaner" and you shoould find all the info you need. Even the solution used is household chemicals. System can be made for a few dollars.