PDA

View Full Version : which dies to buy?

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I just purchased 3 guns for my husband for Christmas. I want to buy him reloading items, but an at a loss. The first gun is a Marlin 795 .22 LR which I was told cannot be reloaded...is this true? The second is a Remington 770 .30-06...which die do I buy? And lastly a Remington 700 .300 Win Mag...again which die do I buy? Any other needed info would be great. I am going to buy the RCBS Master Reloading Kit as a start.

Reload3006
12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
it is true you cannot reload .22lr both the other guns can be reloaded with Full Length die sets. He does have a press? My favorite die for function is Hornady best for the money with life time warranty is RCBS and Lee is great on a budget. I Guess it all depends on how much you are wanting to spend all 3 will do the job nicely. and you can go as high as 100$ or more on the more expensive brands. Like Redding Bonanza etc.

Mooseman
12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
You can't go wrong with RCBS Dies and shell holders...and No, .22LR cannot be reloaded.

Rich

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
ok..so if I buy the RCBS Master reloading kit then I am good?...but I am sooo confused on the dies. I went to Cabelas and there is a huge list. So, will any .30-06 die do? Also, last year I bought him a 12 guage...can this be reloaded? Do I need to purchase anything else. I guess what I am asking is....what would you want your wife to purchase for you if she has bought you these guns? :)

sundog
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Crssypooh, do you have a sister? :mrgreen: What a lucky guy your hubby is. My wife already indulges my shooting habit quite nicely. In fact I think she will probably empty my wish list at Midway, yet again, this year.

All kidding aside. Does your husband already reload? I assume not if he does not already have the equipment, unless maybe he does with another family member or friend. If he does, maybe a gift certificate (Cabella's -since you mentioned it, or Midway, Midsouth, Graffs, Natchez, or one of the other fine internet stores), so that he can pick out what tools he would like to work with. Not all of us use, or even like, the same stuff.

RCBS is good stuff. The master reloading kit is a good place to start.

If he has never reloaded before, he's got a steep, but not insurmountable, learning curve ahead. The folks here on this board are a great bunch and can help a lot. Get him to come visit with us. Heck, he might even be doing so stuff we can learn from.

Mooseman
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Most any 30/06 dies will work but Some seem to be smoother than others. I prefer RCBS , Lyman, Redding or Hornady , But RCBS are smooth and economical.
Shotgun loading requires a Completely different setup like A MEC Loader...The RCBS Kit is for pistol and rifle Cartridges only.
He will also Need a Good reloading manual !

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Crssypooh,

Yes the 12gauge can be reloaded, but generally it happens with a different press then the single stage press you bought for the 30/06 and 300win.

I'd sure like to set down with your and your husband and give you kind of a big picture at to shooting and reloading.

Lots of points picked up over the years by an Ol'Coot.

The correct info and pointers will save you many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just first off, DON"T go out and buy a bunch of factory loads, for the simple reason that considering the fact your planning to reload, it is best to do so with other then mixed brands and lot numbers of brass.

Consistancy of reloads/hand loads comes about not only with the correct reloading process, but ALSO with consistancy of the components used..

Your off to a good/great start with the RCBS equipment, so take it slow and easy.

Read the info in the front of a number of reloading manuels then team up with knowlegable mentors.

Sure would enjoy the oppertunity of responding to you folks with such info as how to set up reloading dies etc.

I know, the dies come with instructions, and those instructions WILL allow you to create your own reloads.

But, and this is a big BUT!!!!!!!!!! Knowing how to properly set up YOUR dies, for YOUR firearm's chambers will increase your brass life (saves $$$$) and increases the consistancy/quality of your hand loads.

I'd gladly pass on any info I can, and would gladly respond directly to your personal "E" address if you so desire. Just send me a "PM" (personal mail) with your "E" address and we could get it going.

I have posted the "custom" die adjustment info before, but it is a bit long and in depth for doing so on the forum.

Also, as you will likely be setting up a reloading area, I'd like to help get you started on the correct foot with some photographs of my under bench receiver system. Can also send those to your personal "E" address.

Sounds to me like your husband has a real keeper! Hope you both hang on for the long run! Wife and I are looking at 50 years coming next Aug. It is worth the effort!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Ickisrulz
12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Without looking it up, I'd guess RCBS makes at least 4 different die sets for the 30-06 and probably 3 for the 300 win mag.

I would purchase the standard full length (FL) sizing die set for each cartridge if I were doing this. Don't forget the shell holder. You will require one for each cartridge.

Shotshell reloading (12 ga.) involves the use of different equipment than the rifle cartridges. Unless a person is shooting games (trap, skeet, sporting clays) and going through lots of ammo, they don't get into shotshell reloading. I suppose the most popular shotshell reloaders are the MEC line.

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Sundog, Thank you!!! I appreciate all the help. No, I don't have any sisters or brothers for that matter, yet I am asked that often lol. I guess I will just purchase the kit and then the 300 win mag die and the .30-06 die. Is there a manual that is better than all others? He is a beginner, hasn't even reloaded with anyone. I guess part of what confused me is on the Cabela's website the .30-06 die says springfield next to it. So, is it only for a Springfield brand gun? You named several different websites..is Midway the best for purchasing these items?

Mooseman...I have a lyman, but it's a black powder .54 cal. I didn't even know that they did regular guns and I have been shooting with Lyman equipment for 3 years now!! That's awesome.

He has been doing a lot of bear hunting and I am considering purchasing a .44 Mag...can you buy guns online? My local retailer would love to sell to me, but he says nobody has them in stock. Kind of hard to believe.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
++ 1 to what Ickisrulz says,

-----and those are exactly the die TYPES that need real world info beyond some manufactures printed directions!

Loading manuels ----- Speer, Hornady, Lyman etc. most all good reads and part of the education process. Read, read, read -------------

Midway has lots of stuff, but I like Midsouth Shooter supply or Natchez a bit better.

Midway seems really high on "shipping/handling".

CDOC

Ickisrulz
12-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Sundog, Thank you!!! I appreciate all the help. No, I don't have any sisters or brothers for that matter, yet I am asked that often lol. I guess I will just purchase the kit and then the 300 win mag die and the .30-06 die. Is there a manual that is better than all others? He is a beginner, hasn't even reloaded with anyone. I guess part of what confused me is on the Cabela's website the .30-06 die says springfield next to it. So, is it only for a Springfield brand gun? You named several different websites..is Midway the best for purchasing these items?

Mooseman...I have a lyman, but it's a black powder .54 cal. I didn't even know that they did regular guns and I have been shooting with Lyman equipment for 3 years now!! That's awesome.

He has been doing a lot of bear hunting and I am considering purchasing a .44 Mag...can you buy guns online? My local retailer would love to sell to me, but he says nobody has them in stock. Kind of hard to believe.

.30-06 Springfield is the proper name for the .30-06. That's what you want.

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok another question...I noticed the the RCBS die sets only have two pieces where as the Lee die set has three pieces and come with a few extras for the same price. Is Lee as good as RCBS? It seems like you get more for your money with Lee.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2011, 07:05 PM
WOW,
crssypooh I find it hard to believe you are real,
BUT, so I don't end up looking like a jerk,
I will assume you are real.

welcome to the best cast boolit website on the net...Seriously !
and you have posed great questions for a newbie.
you have been given some very good info so far.
I'll add my 2¢

Dies...
People who reload prefer different brands of dies,
like most guys prefer a Ford over a Chevy... or vice-versa,
that metaphor is used alot here. Myself, I prefer Lee dies,
I do think you get more for your money. But I will admit that
RCBS dies are excellent too, a little more expensive,
but their Lifetime warrentee is second to none !
even the best built stuff gets broken, so that is important.

Since you are buying the RCBS kit,
you should probably go with RCBS dies.

With the RCBS kit, there should be a RCBS book or manual
to help you/him. I would Highly recomend getting another
book/reloading manual, there are so many details that
different authors can enlighten you better on some aspects
of reloading than others. Since you have found the best cast boolit website
I may as well recommend the Lyman reloading manual.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LY9817048
I think it is one of the better reloading manuals in general,
they include more Cast boolit data than others.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, I think you should
take on the endevor of reloading with your husband.
I think it would be a great hobby to share with a spouse.

BTW ? just curious,
How did you find our website ?
Jon

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Crssy pooh.

As said, some of us like chevs and some fords etc.

However, I would go with the RCBS product.

Three dies sets NOT!------ For now, go with the Full length 2 die set.

Forget buying an extra neck sizing die or a crimp die, for the calibers you are loading, there should NEVER be a need for anything beyond the 2 die set.

Many times, in fact most of the time, three die sets are for hand gun or strieght wall cases like the 45/70.

At this point, let no one talk you into anything beyond just a standard, Full Length - 2 die - set of dies.. That goes for both the 30/06 and the 300 win mag.

If/when you go beyond that need, you'll will be answering our questions.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

brow_tines
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Have your husband do ALOT of reading, he needs a couple different reloading manuals, and The ABC's of Reloading. This is one of the top reloading forums that I like to come to and READ ;) And there are several videos on youtube that are nice to watch as far as reloading, such as Iraqveteran8888, Ammosmith and several others. But with anything on the interenet take it with a grain of salt until you know for sure.

300winmag
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't want to start any confusion here, but first time with no 1 showing how, you might want to buy a stuck case remover along with the dies.

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Jon, yes I am very real. I spent 15 years in a relationship that truly never included me. My current husband of almost 4 years includes me in EVERYTHING!! I am a researcher by nature, I always try to find out as much info before I spend my hard earned $. I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old...I cannot afford to be rebuying because I made a mistake the first time. :)

From what I have read and from what most of you helpful men have said here, RCBS seems to be a very good product. I will trust what I have been told and stay with the dies that are meant for that reloading system. As you pointed out, the warranty means a lot.

The only reason I was curious about the Lee dies is because they say each die set includes an unbreakable decapper, built-in stuck-case remover, free-floating bullet seater, finger-adjustable locking rings and a fitted storage case and free shell holder, powder dipper and load data included. What all these things are and if they are important to me I havent figured out yet.

I also welcome the idea to do it with him...while researching what to buy I never really considered that an option. :)

Youtube!!! I didn't think of that either!!! I think I have been sitting here with my broken foot up too longand need to get up and moving around to stimulate my brain as well.

BTW Jon...I added a photo and a hometown, does that make me more real? :)

williamwaco
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Do you give "Wife Lessons"?

I have a lady I would love for you to talk to.
Would it "rub off"?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
CrssyPooh,

Some merit to the stuck case remover suggestion, I have never bought one, always removing - well after the first time - the FEW stuck cases with the tools on hand.

However, the stuck case remover kit, puts the needed parts and pieces right at hand so you don't need to dig through the tools, bolts, washers etc. etc. to get er done!

For me, seems like stuck cases always happen with new or recently cleaned dies, and wouldn't have, IF!!!!!!!!!, I had just lubed that first case enough.

Could sure happen to the 1st time reloader!

CDOC

MtGun44
12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
The Lee die sets are just fine, and cost significantly less. Lee equipment is focussed on the
"affordable" end of the market, but is decent quality and all of it is useable, but not
Cadillac quality, if you know what I mean. If you are struggling a bit financially, you will
not really be going wrong with the Lee equipment. If you can afford RCBS that is good and
it is a bit better quality, although I personally recommend the Hornady die sets which include
a internal floating bullet alignment sleeve which is usually only offered by other makers in
their benchrest die sets at much higher prices. Seating the bullet exactly straight into the
case is a critical part of the loading process for maximum accuracy.

ABCs of Reloading is a great place to start, as a book.

You are a real peach - your hubby is very lucky. You are doing a great job as a researcher.

Have you purchased both of the rifles already?

Bill

brow_tines
12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Don't forget some case lube !!!!

crssypooh
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes, I did buy both the rifles already. Couldn't resist the extra savings on black Friday and some of the rebates that were available on items I already knew I wanted. For our anniversary I took him on a guided Axis deer hunt on the island of Lanai. He got a trophy buck there...it was very exciting bringing it home and getting it mounted for our bar. I am working on an Elk hunt for him.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
CrssyPooh,

MtGun44 is correct about the Hornady dies, they are good and If you have not bought the RCBS dies are worth looking at.

They did have a free bullet promo, which may or may not carry into 2012. With all or most of their dies, you'd get a promo of a box (100) of their bullets.

You need to send in for them and print some info off the web. but they are a good value.

However, the promo got you a box of bullets for half or less the regular price.

Case lube should be in your kit!

CDOC

Ickisrulz
12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
CrssyPooh,

MtGun44 is correct about the Hornady dies, they are good and If you have not bought the RCBS dies are worth looking at.

They did have a free bullet promo, which may or may not carry into 2012. With all or most of their dies, you'd get a promo of a box (100) of their bullets.

You need to send in for them and print some info off the web. but they are a good value.

However, the promo got you a box of bullets for half or less the regular price.

Case lube should be in your kit!

CDOC

Don't forget, RCBS has a rebate going on this year too. Up to $50 for $300 purchase.

Hornady dies are very nice BTW.

Norbrat
12-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Anything to do with shooting and reloading is far more expensive here "Downunder" than it is in the USA, I therefore use a lot of Lee dies and have recommended them to others, and have never had a complaint.

I also have some Redding dies and have used Hornady and RCBS dies and I can honestly say I have never noticed any difference in how well the loading process went or how accurate the resulting ammo was.

Sure, if you are a benchrest shooter, there may be some advantage in some of the more expensive dies, but for everyday use, the Lee dies work just fine.

I reckon the Neck Size Collet dies from Lee are a great innovation, and have replaced my .308 RCBS dies with a Lee Deluxe set just to get this particular die. I then sold my RCBS 2 die set for more than the new Lee Deluxe die set cost!

So if you want to spend Cadillac money to do a Chevy task, by all means do so.

Otherwise I think you will be just as happy with the Lee dies as any other brand.

crssypooh
12-09-2011, 02:23 AM
So, does anyone have the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit? They are offering 500 free bullets with purchase. How does this compare to the RCBS?

bigjason6
12-09-2011, 03:24 AM
So, does anyone have the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit? They are offering 500 free bullets with purchase. How does this compare to the RCBS?

Hi crssypooh, the hornady classic kit is a good kit. I have the lnl AP press and love the quick change bushing system. It really makes caliber changes a lot quicker. Even on a single stage press like the classic it makes changing out the dies a lot faster and easier. You pretty much only have to set the die once with it. Plus, you can never go wrong with 500 free bullets!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
CrssyPooh,

I bought a Hornady L-N-L progressive a couple years back because of a stash of Cabela's points on my card and at that time 1000 "free" bullets with the Progressive press.

Other then that, even though I started reloading in the 60s, I'd still be using a single stage press like you are considering. GREAT way to start for the next 50 or so years.

By the way, not anywhere close to recommending any kind of progressive press to a new reloader until they have lots of single stage reloading time under their belt!!!!!! And, maybe never.

AS to the Classic LNL kit, not a bad way to go, BUT KNOW THIS, to take advantage of the L-N-L feature, you will need to buy some additional LNL bushings. Not a huge amount of bucks, but an extra.

Cheaper in the bigger pks !! then buying a couple at a time.

Without extra LNL bushings, you need to take the dies out of the bushings to install the next caliber of dies, instead of just quickly swapping out a die/bushing combination. Ideal is one LNL bushing for each die or, for two - 2 die sets (30/06 & 300win) you need minimum of 4 LNL bushing.

Check on the Hornady web site to make sure the "free" bullit promo carries over into 2012.

later,

CDOC

Reload3006
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
The only thing I can add to what has been said is inleu of a stuck case kit. Dont be afraid to lube your cases. Yes you will at first have brass that has some major oil dents but they are just ugly not dangerous. if you lube your case good you will not have any stuck case issues to worry about.
Shotgun ammo does require a different set up than Rifle/Pistol but just like rifle pistol you get better ammo for less even in shotguns. The real truth is as far as cost goes the sky is the limit and if you get the shooting reloading bug its an addiction that will keep your "Beer" money spent.
As has been said Lee makes great budget gear.
RCBS makes life time guaranteed gear and their customer service is second to none if you break it no excuses they fix it no charge ever. I have even bought dies tools second hand and they made them right even thought I was not the original purchaser no other company i know of out there does that. You can not go wrong with RCBS.
Still My favorite Dies are the Hornady. but I have mostly RCBS gear for the above reason.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I think it was RCBS ????? that once offered a shotshell/shotgun loading set up for use on single stage presses like the RockChucker.

Never had one, can't recall seeing one, but think they were out there.

Folk that really need reloaded shot shells because of heavy shotgun use, will find a multi-position shot shell press much faster.

For the limited number of shot sells I reload, I have an old & USED Pacific or Hornady multi station press.

This IS NOT a progressive press, but one on which the shot shell hull is moved by hand from station to station.

Once your in the swing of things, you can load a lot of shot shell in a short time, way more then I shoot going out a time or two a year to shoot the shotgun at hand thrown clays.

If you can get a used press set up, with shot and powder bushings for almost zero dollars, OK. Other wise it is a lot faster & cheaper to go to the local Walmart and buy the promo target ammo.

For most of us, where our desires/wants/needs are at lower levels then wanting tiny groups with a rifle, the cheap promo ammo is the way to go.

later,

CDOC

largom
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
crssyphoo, A press and loading dies WILL NOT get one started in handloading. You will also need a scale, case trimmer, calipers/micrometers, case lube & lube pad, and other things "nice to have". Since your hubby has limited knowledge of handloading I would suggest you spend your money on several handloading books/manuals. Also get a catalog from Midsouth Shooters Supply and Midway. You may even consider gift cert. from these places. You and your husband can then spend the hollidays reading the books together and then decide what kind of equipment to purchase.

All of the suggestions you have been given so far are good because most handloading tools are good with Lee being the cheapest and Redding being the most expensive and others falling inbetween. Quality also follows price to a certain extent.

I truly feel it would be best to learn [from books/manuals] more about handloading before you purchased the necessary equipment.

Your husband is one lucky man.

Larry

Tazman1602
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey Crissypoo,

You sure you're not just messin' with us and you are really my wife in Michigan???? She does stuff like that all the time and I include her in everything, prolly why we've been together 30 years now...

One thing I've got to ask -- I'm assuming hubby doesn't have a reloading press yet? If he doesn't, any of the already mentioned presses are good ones. Lee is great for the price but not the best, RCBS is an excellent product, but for the grand daddy of all presses Dillon precision makes the best unless you are looking for a basic single stage press. If you have the money, Dillon make a basic loader now but my preferred single stage is still the old RCBS "rock crusher" press. Had one for 32 years and still use it.

Here are some links to reloading sites, some guys hate some sites but they're basically all good to deal with:

www.midwayusa.com (http://www.midwayusa.com)

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

http://www.grafs.com/

http://www.dillonprecision.com/
The above, Dillon precision has an interactive guide to presses if you want to look....AND you can call Dillon and they'll be happy to help you. Midway and Dillon are still family owned, USA businesses and I'm not certain on the others but they are just as good. Just compare prices and don't forget to figure in shipping! Sometimes what looks like a good deal isn't when you add shipping and I know at least one of the above has a fixed rate.

I'm sure there are others I missed but there are my personal big 4 that I deal with. All have come through for me in a pinch at one time or another

Any other help you need, or confusion that we have created, feel free to post. I know of a dozen guys on this forum that would marry you sight unseen after your first post!!!!

Here's to husbands that take care of their wives and here's MORE to wives who know how to take care of their men.....and

WELCOME TO THE BEST RELOADING/CASTING/ AND PURE BS FORUM ON THE 'NET!

Art

PS - "BS" is short for "Brag about stuff"...............<grin>

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Note to all ---------------

Crssypooh has been talking KIT so "kits" normally contain all needed parts and pieces, lube, lube pad, press, manuel etc. so a person should be good to go with the addition of a set of dies for the chosen caliber.

So CrssyPooh, a kit should make you good to go for the first steps into the handloading world.

later,

CDOC

sundog
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Crssypooh, since your hubby is new to reloading, a couple good books are in order. One was already mentioned, The ABCs of Reloading. The other is The NRA Guide to Reloading. I am very familiar with the latter as I am a certified NRA reloading instructor. It covers both metallic and shot shell reloading and is used as the text book for the course and is relatively inexpensive at about $10. Your hubby might like to take the course also. Find a certified NRA reloading instructor in your area. The time and money is worth it for getting started. Especially the safety stuff!

I think it is really neat that y'all do things together!

MBTcustom
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Im just going to throw my 2 cents in here.
If you can afford it, RCBS is a good investment. I am using my dads rockchucker single stage press and all of his dies, and he used to shoot 1000 rounds a weekend. That doggon press has been to heck and back and is still going strong.
I would think that buying a progressive press is overkill unless you plan on burning some serious ammo at shooting events etc. Progressives are so bulky, so time consuming to set up, and so persnickety, that volume is a must. That said, if you feel that getting a progressive is what you want, I would say that hornady is better press for the money than anybody.
I also wanted to throw out a list of various sundry things that you will end up buying so you might as well get while the getting is good.
1. reloading dies (I think you have been given good advice so far)
2. 0-6" calipers (an absolute necesity, Get the best you can afford)
3. 0-1" micrometer (another vary useful tool, go cheap if you want. These usualy always work)
4. an inertial bullet puller (looks like a hammer but cant be dispensed with, even for a veteran reloader)
5. a good scale (again, get the best you can afford, I prefer the RCBS balance beam scales but I also use electronic ones. Do not go cheap, your life depends on the accuracy of your scale if you start pushing your loads)
6. universal reloading trays (personally, I think the ones made by MTM and Frankford arsenal are the best)
7. case trimmer (your gonna need it sooner or later if you plan on using your brass more than 4 times.)
8. powder measure and funnel (Again, RCBS is good)
9. some way of priming your cases, either hand held or press mounted (I use the primer seat on the press, but lots of folks prefer the "feel" of the hand held tool.)
10. a tumbler or vibratory case cleaner. (you can go as cheap as you like on this one but be sure to get the media separation basket, its worth its weight in gold! I have Frankford arsenal brand in both of these and I love it)

That's a lot of stuff, but its all necessary to produce good quality ammo. You can add the details later, but you will definitely feel handicapped from the get-go if you lack anything on that list.
Now, I will give you a piece of advice that will probably get me a kick in the teeth: first thing before you buy anything, get Lee's book on reloading and read the first part, it will tell you everything about the process that you need to know. actualy, any reloading manual that gives detailed instructions will do, (they all used to back in the 70's) but Lee is the best read that I have seen.

Oh and Lyman has made BP rifles and sights and reloading tools for a long time, its just a brand name, like craftsman makes chainsaws, and lawnmowers, but you dont have to use craftsman brand tools to repair a craftsman lawnmower or chainsaw, can use any brand tool to repair them.
Its like that with this reloading stuff, the caliber dictates what size and how to reload, but their are many brands that make the tools to reload that caliber.

newcastter
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
As a stuck case remover is a good idea I think a bottle of lube would be a good idea to go with everything to keep from getting a stuck case to begin with and at least 1 good manual to be read before even mounting the press I have a Lyman manual that has served me well.
I started reloading 2 years ago and am still learning everyday, it has now escalated to bullet casting and now bullet swaging so having said that get a good press.
I own all LEE and I think its fantastic and if you want higher quality press go with the Classic.
You can actually get better deals on LEE equipment at Titan Reloading than Midway etc.
Remember look for coupon codes as you could save $50 or so while your at it

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm going to go the opposite of every one who's posted before me and recommend something entirely different. Do NOT buy any reloading equipment. Instead, buy some books and let your husband read about reloading and see if he's interesting in reloading. Some shooters/hunters are interested in reloading, some are not.

Some good books on reloading:

You won’t need all of them, but here’s are some good manuals to start with:

The ABC's of Reloading (I strongly advise starting with this one.)
Metallic Cartridge Reloading (I strongly advise buying this one second.)
Speer Manual
Modern Reloading by Richard Lee
Lyman Metallic Reloading Handbook
Hornady 5th Edition Reloading Handbook (2 volume set)

For where you're at right now, the first two books on the list should be ideal. You may have to buy one of them used, as I don't think they're both in print right now, particularly the second, though they may be.

If you're husband shows an interest, then take a look at buying him equipment after he's looked at it online. Reloading equipment, like a handgun, can be very individualistic. What you like or others like/recommend, he may not like.

Better to let him read up on it, gauge his interest, then make decisions on spending a bunch of money for reloading equipment.

Best Regards,

Dave