PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bulk Boolits

P.K.
12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
What's a good media to fill space when shipping bulk boolits? I don't have enough styrophome load trays laying around so they would all be going in one container. These are not lubed so, corn starch or baking soda?

heliman
12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Popcorn

Rocky Raab
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
If you have to declare the contents, call them "lead ingots." (Hey, they ARE!) I'm told that bullets are subject to HAZMAT rules, even though you and I both know they are inert. The dimwads who wrote the rules think of loaded cartridges as "bullets."

Ole
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
I pack the bullets in a ziplock bag and use cardboard to fill the air space.

Pack the box as tightly as you can so the lead doesn't move around.

Springfield
12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a dedicated vacuum food sealer. The bags are tough and it keeps the bullets from moving. Then pack the rest of the box with cardboard squares. Styrofoam peanuts get all torn to shreds with anything heavy that moves. Newspaper is equally worthless.

sig2009
12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
If you have to declare the contents, call them "lead ingots." (Hey, they ARE!) I'm told that bullets are subject to HAZMAT rules, even though you and I both know they are inert. The dimwads who wrote the rules think of loaded cartridges as "bullets."

I think he is talking about cast bullets and not loaded ammunition. And there is never a Haz Mat fee associated with shipping loaded ammo or cast bullets.

evan price
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Lead bullets go USPS flat rate, no sweat. Put them in a thick plastic bag and seal it shut with tape not just the ziplock. Wrap it up like a burrito in some newspaper, tape that, then stuff more newspaper around it and some extra cardboard scraps beside that. You want to prevent motion. Tape the heck out of the box, every edge and seam. Works for me and I ship 65# boxes regularly.
I've also used the 'free' USPS boxes (the video-tape sized small FRBs are great) to fill with bullets then stack those boxes in the medium FRB. Or you can use the Tyvek USPS express-mail envelopes. Virtually un-tear-able. Tape them shut, roll like a burrito.

P.K.
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. I'll prolly go with Evan's advice since I have a good supply of SFRB's and a Med. here on hand.

williamwaco
12-08-2011, 10:05 PM
If you have to declare the contents, call them "lead ingots." (Hey, they ARE!) I'm told that bullets are subject to HAZMAT rules, even though you and I both know they are inert. The dim wads who wrote the rules think of loaded cartridges as "bullets."

I just retired from a computer hardware company. I managed the computer system in the warehouse We shipped on average 3000 computers a day.

Did you know that a 200 pound computer server cabinet with a one ounce magnetic door latch Is "Hazmat" but the same cabinet with a spring latch is not?

There is only one thing on this earth stupider than the US Government. That is the voters that put them in office.

runfiverun
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
i always just used newspaper, wadded on top and bottom.
it managed to keep the boolits just fine being hauled all over the west in the trailer from show to show.

D Crockett
12-09-2011, 12:48 PM
if using a flat rare box I put in 1 or 2 layers of card boare in the bottom of the box put in 2 zip lock bags of bullets ( NO MORE THAN 1000 BULLETS PER BOX) then pack all spaces with card board tivht os they can not move then use fiber tape to close the box up with the reason no more than 1000 bulletsd I have lost bullets in the mail that had over 1000 in the box hope this helps D Crockett

mdi
12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
In my limited experience with bullet shipping (the receiving end) pack the bullets so there is no movement in the container. I get bullets from Beartooth Bullets on occation and the boxes are filled with bullets then newspaper is placed on top of the bullets and takes up any space left and then the whole box is taped. No bullet movement, almost like a solid chunk of lead with a cardboard wrapping. I got some bullets from a small caster and the bullets were in a plastic bag rolled tight and taped tightly to the inside of the box and crumpled newspaper stuffed around the bag 'o bullets. The key is to keep the bullets, either loose or in a bag from moving around inside of the shipping box...

Blammer
12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
evan pretty much nailed it.